Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bring it! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 12, 2012, 09:53:34 AM

Anyone else notice how many of the catches VJ makes in that highlight package are on unbelievably accurate throws from rivers. The guy is a talent but Freeman better step up and improve his accuracy or that talent won't be realized in Tampa. Same could be said for Clark catching passes from Manning has made a lot of receivers look good.

anyone else notice how this guy ^^^^ didnt watch the video? If he did, he wouldve noticed what everyone else did.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#16 : June 12, 2012, 02:25:28 PM

Wow, I just watched the Jackson video and I came away with the same impression about Rivers, that he throws some incredibly accurate balls! The good thing about Jackson, though, is that he definitely increases the margin of error for a QB.

EDIT: This isn't to say that I wasn't impressed with Jackson, just responding directly to the criticism towards the poster that said that Rivers was very accurate.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

jcm

Second String

#17 : June 12, 2012, 02:55:59 PM

I watched the video and saw Jackson making great catches. What I also saw was Rivers making throws into tight coverage to spots that gave Jackson the opportunity to make those catches. Go back and count how many times he was covered by one, two or three defenders and the ball arrived in a spot that allowed Jackson to make a catch. Most QBs don't make those throws. They just move on to option 2 in the progression. If they do make the throws they are often picked or not catchable by anyone. That is one of the things we've seen from Freeman in his young career, he often moves too quickly through his progression or last year tried to force a ball into a covered receiver a having it picked. 

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 12, 2012, 03:02:31 PM

lol, so Rivers throws it up and Jackson goes and gets it.....that equals accuracy?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 12, 2012, 03:06:03 PM

Rivers is an accurate.... But that isn't what was highlighted in that video. It clearly showed Jacksons ability to go up and get anything even close to him.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#20 : June 12, 2012, 03:34:00 PM

Brilliant passing by Rivers.    I expect VJax' numbers will drop about 40% simply due to the dropoff from Rivers to Freeman.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 12, 2012, 03:38:28 PM

Rivers is an accurate.... But that isn't what was highlighted in that video. It clearly showed Jacksons ability to go up and get anything even close to him.

lol, so Rivers throws it up and Jackson goes and gets it.....that equals accuracy?

I think the highlights showcase both Jackson's abilities as well as Rivers'. There are numerous plays in there. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It definitely shows a WR that makes it easy on his QB by going and getting the ball, but it also shows a QB that fit it into tight spots.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#22 : June 12, 2012, 03:51:04 PM

Jackson and Williams are similar receivers in my mind, and will both be great deep threats. They both specialize in locating the football and going up and getting it before the defender responds. Considering Freeman has a habit of floating the ball and overthrowing receivers I couldnt think of a better fit.

Im just wondering who will be the underneath/possession type receiver? Jackson and Williams are both big play type receivers, but who do we throw to on 3rd and 5?  Neither of our starters excel at getting seperation or running the short to intermediate routes. Maybe Parker or Benn?

IrishBuc

Second String

#23 : June 12, 2012, 04:11:48 PM

That video shows two things, one Rivers is overall quite accurate at delivering the ball (notice how he manages to squeeze it in between some tight coverages) but it also shows how good a receiver VJax is. He simply makes some astonishing catches with his great leap and by just being a big guy. He also has pretty long arms, he extends incredibly quite a number of times. He sees a lot of coverage which would probably be why his numbers aren't astronomical compared to other receivers (Fitz,Marshall,Johnson etc) so you would have to wonder if he struggles at times dealing with double coverages. Having said all that those teams only had one great receiver, while the Chargers also had Gates and Tomlinson rushing. I'm still not sure what to think!

Will be writing something about the Bucs receivers tomorrow or Thursday, I don't posess the knowledge of the game or receivers play as others on here (a drawback of the limited NFL coverage in Ireland!) do but hope you enjoy it anyway.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 12, 2012, 04:55:12 PM

I think the highlights showcase both Jackson's abilities as well as Rivers'. There are numerous plays in there. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It definitely shows a WR that makes it easy on his QB by going and getting the ball, but it also shows a QB that fit it into tight spots.

no one ever said Rivers isnt accurate. He is pretty darn accurate, but this video doesnt showcase that at all. Most of the plays in the video was Jackson making a play on the ball.  Thats not showing Rivers accuracy in 90% of those plays, its showing how Jackson has helped bail out Rivers when needed.  There are a bunch of Rivers highlight videos that show how accurate he is. Rivers is on the cusp of being a top 5 QB depending on who you talk to, so there is no real debating his accuracy. Is Freeman consistently as accurate as Rivers? of course not. Are all of those completions by Rivers accurate? of course not. That video showcased jacksons big play ability more than it showed any of the capabilities of Rivers.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 12, 2012, 05:06:36 PM

Agree to disagree, I guess, in regards to Rivers.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : June 12, 2012, 05:11:06 PM

Jackson and Williams are similar receivers in my mind, and will both be great deep threats. They both specialize in locating the football and going up and getting it before the defender responds. Considering Freeman has a habit of floating the ball and overthrowing receivers I couldnt think of a better fit.

Im just wondering who will be the underneath/possession type receiver? Jackson and Williams are both big play type receivers, but who do we throw to on 3rd and 5?  Neither of our starters excel at getting seperation or running the short to intermediate routes. Maybe Parker or Benn?

Williams excels at quick underneath stuff aswell as big plays down field. He has shown that to be true over and over again in his first two years so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Anyways, Parker, Clark, and Martin will probably be getting a lot of short 3rd down receptions this year.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 22, 2012, 09:45:19 AM

Brilliant passing by Rivers.    I expect VJax' numbers will drop about 40% simply due to the dropoff from Rivers to Freeman.
Vincent Jacksons numbers in 2011:
60 receptions for 1106 yards and 9 TDs.

Vincent Jackson is on pace for these numbers:
67 receptions for 1380 yards and 11 TDs.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#28 : November 22, 2012, 09:59:26 AM

Huge pick up.  Changed the whole mindset of our offense and the opponents defense.  HUGE!!!

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#29 : November 22, 2012, 10:00:35 AM

Vincent Jacksons numbers in 2011:
60 receptions for 1106 yards and 9 TDs.

Vincent Jackson is on pace for these numbers:
67 receptions for 1380 yards and 11 TDs.

Now that is funny!
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bring it! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools