Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BLOUNT SHATTERING MYTHS ABOUT HIS HANDS, PASS PROTECTION AND FUMBLES « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 14, 2012, 05:01:57 PM

It's amazing that some Buc "fans" have so much animosity towards Blount... That even after a great positive report from camp.....they still have nothing but negatives to share.

Dude, what are you talking about?

The hands I can somewhat believe but let's not say he has improved his pass protection until he actually has someone in his face and ready to hit.

the biggest part of pass pro for a RB is knowing the assignments. Are you implying that Blount cant get in the way or slow someone down whos rushing the passer?

Either way, this article is going to be awesome for Blount haters......

If he could, this article wouldn't exist and we probably wouldn't have drafted Martin, and that's coming from someone who likes Blount.

How do you know he cant? because Olson said so? Wheres he coordinating at now? This just further proves how inept Olson was more than it proves anything about Blount not being able to block.

RBs just have to get in the way of rushers, they dont have to block a guy for 3+ seconds off the LOS all while having good footwork and hand placement. Knowing the assignments is the biggest part by far. Given Blounts size, Im pretty sure he can get in front of someone enough to slow them down.

Also, you honestly think the Bucs wouldnt have drafted Martin or any other back high if Blount could block? Then who were they going to roll with? Blount and Madu? They were the only guys on the roster. A RB was pretty much a given for just about everybody on this board regardless of Blounts blocking ability.

Because I've watched him play. Did I say that he couldn't? No. I said that I don't want to crown him King of the Pass Protectors before people actually start hitting. And no, they don't just have to get in the way of rushers, if they did, you could put anyone out there.

And if Blount could block, we would not have traded back up into the first to get a RB, you can count on that.

I question the topic of an article and all of the sudden my "fanhood" gets questioned and people start whipping out their football knowledge to see whose is bigger.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 14, 2012, 05:08:09 PM

I'm indifferent on his hands.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on pass protection because he was with the Titans in 2010 off-season and there was a lockout in 2011.
But his ball security absolutely blows.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 14, 2012, 05:09:41 PM

But...but Olson said...

...and I thought any criticism of Olson was just making excuses...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : June 14, 2012, 05:12:13 PM

But...but Olson said...

...and I thought any criticism of Olson was just making excuses...

i would love to see some actual quotes of olson.  anyone have links to pertinent olson statements about blount?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 14, 2012, 05:37:59 PM

Call me dbuc -the Missourian.

I want to see what he does in TC.

Last his fumbles were inexcusable and he couldn't pass block my grandmother.

Good runner when the holes were there and a good broad jumper. I'll give you that.

That doesn't make him an all around back.

If so, why did we draft Martin?

Blount is on a very shaky pedestal to many.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 14, 2012, 05:52:03 PM

We can start talking about Blount "shattering", when he does what an "all around back" can for at least half a season...and does it consistently...until then...its just speculation based on minicamp.

gone

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 14, 2012, 06:01:09 PM

It's amazing that some Buc "fans" have so much animosity towards Blount... That even after a great positive report from camp.....they still have nothing but negatives to share.

The hands I can somewhat believe but let's not say he has improved his pass protection until he actually has someone in his face and ready to hit.

the biggest part of pass pro for a RB is knowing the assignments. Are you implying that Blount cant get in the way or slow someone down whos rushing the passer?

If he could, this article wouldn't exist and we probably wouldn't have drafted Martin, and that's coming from someone who likes Blount.

How do you know he cant? because Olson said so? Wheres he coordinating at now? This just further proves how inept Olson was more than it proves anything about Blount not being able to block.

RBs just have to get in the way of rushers, they dont have to block a guy for 3+ seconds off the LOS all while having good footwork and hand placement. Knowing the assignments is the biggest part by far. Given Blounts size, Im pretty sure he can get in front of someone enough to slow them down.

Also, you honestly think the Bucs wouldnt have drafted Martin or any other back high if Blount could block? Then who were they going to roll with? Blount and Madu? They were the only guys on the roster. A RB was pretty much a given for just about everybody on this board regardless of Blounts blocking ability.

Because I've watched him play. Did I say that he couldn't? No. I said that I don't want to crown him King of the Pass Protectors before people actually start hitting. And no, they don't just have to get in the way of rushers, if they did, you could put anyone out there.

And if Blount could block, we would not have traded back up into the first to get a RB, you can count on that.

I question the topic of an article and all of the sudden my "fanhood" gets questioned and people start whipping out their football knowledge to see whose is bigger.

Pass pro is all about being in the right place, not about "hitting". Yo don't expect a back to block like a lineman he just needs to get in the way for the most part.  The knock on him was he couldn't remember his assignments.  If he's doing it now then the problem -- which IMO was not his and was dramatically blown out of proportion -- has been resolved.  And we were getting a second back, and doing it early regardless of Blount's abilities or lack of abilities.  When you are building a running team you get two high calibre backs.

gone

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 14, 2012, 06:04:43 PM

Good runner when the holes were there and a good broad jumper. I'll give you that.

Considering that the guy that that idiot Olson used instead of him to pass pro was statistically the worst protector in the league and rated even WORSE than Blount, I'd say that's a pretty strong indicator that the problem didn't reside with Blount.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : June 14, 2012, 06:06:14 PM

Good runner when the holes were there ....

There were rarely any holes last season or 2010. Blount usually is getting hit in the backfield. He has averaged 4.8 ypc because he constantly shakes off the first couple guys. This year we'll see what he can do when he actually gets consistent holes to run through.

gone

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 14, 2012, 06:08:02 PM

People just got into the habit of bashing him because Raheem and Olson bashed him and people were still on their bandwagon, not seeing them for the incompetent morons they were.  Now that they're gone, the habit lingers, even in the face of mounting evidence of their culpability.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 14, 2012, 06:14:55 PM

Hit Mute and enjoy.

: June 14, 2012, 06:18:17 PM JDouble

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 14, 2012, 06:58:44 PM

Pass pro is all about being in the right place, not about "hitting". Yo don't expect a back to block like a lineman he just needs to get in the way for the most part.  The knock on him was he couldn't remember his assignments.  If he's doing it now then the problem -- which IMO was not his and was dramatically blown out of proportion -- has been resolved.  And we were getting a second back, and doing it early regardless of Blount's abilities or lack of abilities.  When you are building a running team you get two high calibre backs.

I'm not going to argue that pass pro isn't a mentally challenging task. I've played the position and I know how complex it can get but to say that the physicality of the position doesn't matter is absolutely ludicrous. I'm going to stop there because no matter what I say it's not going to matter so I'll leave it to the guys who know:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-the-coaches/09000d5d813ba4ec/The-Coaches-RB-pass-protection
granted its a little dated but it proves both our points

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 14, 2012, 06:59:28 PM

a.) Good runner when the holes were there and a good broad jumper. I'll give you that.

b.) If so, why did we draft Martin?

a.)
THIS!!

THIS!!

b.) The drafting of Doug Martin was primarily a depth/competition issue. He was not meant to be LBs replacement, only to serve as a good change-of-pace-back and also some stiff competition for LB. Also, keep in mind Earnest Grahams season-ending injury last season as a reason why we drafted a RB so high. That injury marked the demise of the Bucs as we went on a ten-game losing streak.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#28 : June 14, 2012, 07:03:30 PM

Oh yeah, and too add to that last part a little..... Mike Sullivan's offense is going to be, primarily, a running team with few pass plays (complete opposite of last year). So as the GM, its only fitting that you add that highly-touted, change-of-pace,  playmaker type of back-up running back to you roster.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 14, 2012, 07:16:56 PM

We drafted him because we had the worst RB corp in the league.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BLOUNT SHATTERING MYTHS ABOUT HIS HANDS, PASS PROTECTION AND FUMBLES « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools