Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Rumors: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Could Trade Defensive Tackle Brian Price « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

snicker24

Starter
#75 : June 25, 2012, 02:02:15 AM

Hey Chace, Grimm's rookie year was on pace to be every bit as good as Eric Berry's before his unfortunate injury. If you consider that an "average season overall" then we have nothing to talk about. Did you not watch the 2010 season? He was literally one of our best players.

Watched every single snap, of every single game. I just simply disagree that he was anything more than average...and I would speculate that so do the several people who made the Barron pick happen. Not a glaring vote of confidence I would say.
I will respectfully disagree and say that Grimm, especially in his last four games of the 2010 season, was the best safety in the NFC. The way that guy sniffs out plays and then executes textbook tackles is glorious. If Schiano really wants the best 11 players on the field then he will find a way to incorporate Grimm into his gameplan.

If the Bucs were so inclined to make Grimm a must have on the field, I'm not sure why they'd use the #7 pick in the draft on the position Grimm is most adept at and move a CB to fill the position Grimm is next best adept at.

Now you can say what you will about how you feel about Grimm but it doesn't appear the people who count....members of the Bucs coaching staff....share that opinion.
Drafting Barron has more to due with Grimm's injuries than lack of ability/production. I mean Okoye was brought in just in case McCoy gets injured again and if he does the Bucs may be drafting a DT early next year despite McCoy's outstanding talent.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#76 : June 25, 2012, 07:21:53 AM

Hey Chace, Grimm's rookie year was on pace to be every bit as good as Eric Berry's before his unfortunate injury. If you consider that an "average season overall" then we have nothing to talk about. Did you not watch the 2010 season? He was literally one of our best players.

Watched every single snap, of every single game. I just simply disagree that he was anything more than average...and I would speculate that so do the several people who made the Barron pick happen. Not a glaring vote of confidence I would say.
I will respectfully disagree and say that Grimm, especially in his last four games of the 2010 season, was the best safety in the NFC. The way that guy sniffs out plays and then executes textbook tackles is glorious. If Schiano really wants the best 11 players on the field then he will find a way to incorporate Grimm into his gameplan.

Agree with Chace. Grimm was never as good as you are making him out to be .

Average and suprisingly competent for a 7th round rookie? Yes. Best safety in the NFC ?? NO FREAKING WAY.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#77 : June 25, 2012, 07:38:07 AM

That's is some dedication. s strong stomach for very bad play and a likely a good supply of alcoholic refreshments.  I don't know anyone else who can say that with tickets or on television

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#78 : June 25, 2012, 09:34:51 AM

That's is some dedication. s strong stomach for very bad play and a likely a good supply of alcoholic refreshments.  I don't know anyone else who can say that with tickets or on television

Ok..I am probably exaggerating a tad...I'm sure I had to get up and pee a few times or had some convos with people and missed some plays and what not...but I would say that I watched approx 90-95% of all the plays...even the sh!tty Atlanta game. I didn't care how bad they got stomped...that game was actually on regular broadcast here and I wasn't turning it...now how many plays I actually watched completely sober...that % would probably drop quite a bit....
: June 25, 2012, 09:55:43 AM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#79 : June 25, 2012, 09:54:35 AM

Wow....best safety in the NFC his last four games eh?....has JDub hacked your account? Based upon the 11 players that are projected to start in week one...the only player who Grimm could replace would be Quincy Black...and that aint happening..(even though he probably would play the SLB 2X what Q.B. did last year.

Drafting Barron has more to due with Grimm's injuries than lack of ability/production. I mean Okoye was brought in just in case McCoy gets injured again and if he does the Bucs may be drafting a DT early next year despite McCoy's outstanding talent.

I disagree....if Grimm were actually as good as what you pimped him to be(top NFC safety at times)...then the injury would not scare them as much as because the risk/reward would be worth it...but to put all hopes on an average safety who may/may not last a whole season...no thanks...lets take Barron. Yes...they nabbed Okoye...but they didnt do it with a high pick in the draft...they picked him up for pennies on the FA market after the initial wave of signings was done. Big difference. Okoye was brought in for rotation/spot-starts. Barron was brought in to be the instant starter and to be a force in the secondary for years to come.

I predict that Cody Grimm, whether he stays with the Bucs or not...he will not start more than 20 games for the rest of his career....destined career STer.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#80 : June 25, 2012, 11:28:00 AM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think your conclusion is necessarily accurate.

The Bucs could very well see Grimm as the long term safety answer and still draft Barron. With Grimm returning from injury (and struggling a bit returning from injury last year), they could ease him back in behind Ronde in Ronde's last year with the intention of Barron and Grimm being the guys going forward. They're certainly not counting on Barber beyond this year.

They very well might not think of Grimm as anything more than a depth and special teams guy, but I don't think drafting Barron explicitly says that that's the case.

I'm responding to posters claiming Grimm was the best safety in the league and that he's a "must get on the field" guy. That's pretty high level praise and guy's who are at that level don't have #7 picks in the draft and a guy who's been a very good CB moving to take the position he plays. If you want to say the Bucs might want to wait around a year, see how he plays and then if they like him they might play him that's fine but consider some of the comments being made in the thread. Grimm can do some things well....great tackler in the box. In coverage not so much. So with Barron's best abilities being in the box, I'm not sure Grimm and Barron is a good pairing even if the team waits for Ronde to retire.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#81 : June 25, 2012, 11:29:30 AM

Okoye and Barron are two completely different scenarios. One is the #7 pick in the draft coming in to start immediately. Okoye is a depth FA signing.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#82 : June 25, 2012, 01:27:28 PM

I'm responding to posters claiming Grimm was the best safety in the league and that he's a "must get on the field" guy. That's pretty high level praise and guy's who are at that level don't have #7 picks in the draft and a guy who's been a very good CB moving to take the position he plays. If you want to say the Bucs might want to wait around a year, see how he plays and then if they like him they might play him that's fine but consider some of the comments being made in the thread. Grimm can do some things well....great tackler in the box. In coverage not so much. So with Barron's best abilities being in the box, I'm not sure Grimm and Barron is a good pairing even if the team waits for Ronde to retire.

Oh, totally agree about Grimm, I was just disagreeing with the notion (not just you, but mentioned in your post as well as by others) that drafting Barron shows a lack of faith in Grimm as a longterm fit. They didn't exactly fill the hole next to Barron for this year and beyond, just converted Ronde from LB to safety. They might think they have this dynamic duo between Barron and best-safety-in-NFC-for-a-few-weeks Grimm. Hell, they may even think Black is a young Ronde. I guess my only point is that they didn't exactly address the other safety position beyond a one-year fix.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#83 : July 26, 2012, 06:51:59 PM

Sounds like a dumb ass Bleacher Report article based on nothing in reality.

Good call.  :P

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#84 : July 26, 2012, 07:55:03 PM

Sounds like a dumb ass Bleacher Report article based on nothing in reality.

Good call.  :P

All of JDub's calls are about that good.

wyla86

Second String

#85 : July 26, 2012, 08:03:31 PM

Future Safeties for the Buccaneers...... Mark Barron, SS and Eric Reid, FS for LSU as of right now ;)

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#86 : July 26, 2012, 08:29:48 PM

Wow.  A lot of posters looking foolish after reading this one.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Rumors: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Could Trade Defensive Tackle Brian Price « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools