Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Should Look Seriously at Starting Dekoda Watson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 25, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »

Bucs Should Look Seriously at Starting Dekoda Watson

November 14, 2010; Tampa, FL, USA; Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Dekoda Watson (56) talks with defensive line coach Todd Wash (right) during the first half of their game against the Carolina Panthers at Raymond James Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

For a few years now Buccaneers fans have been treated to the unremarkable exploits of Quincy Black. It’s not the Black isn’t a solid NFL linebacker, he is, he just isn’t a playmaker, he doesn’t pop on film.

With a high likelihood that Mason Foster and Lavonte David will be starting in the middle and on the weak-side respectively, strong-side linebacker is a position that could be up for grabs, with a number of candidates vying for starting reps. Black looks to have the inside track for both financial and experience-based reasons, but whether or not he’s the better long-term fit is far from certain.

So far in his young NFL career, Dekoda Watson has been asked to fill more of a support role, finding time on special teams and in reserve duty, but rarely getting chances to play meaningful downs in big situations. That could change with Greg Schiano and his regime of coaches though, Watson has had a chance to learn to ropes in the NFL, and now when push comes to shove with a clean slate and a coaching staff that doesn’t know anyone, Watson’s athleticism is going to make him a really intriguing player.

Watson is one of the four or five best athletes on the Buccaneers.

That’s not an exaggeration, he’s incredibly strong, he runs a 40 in the 4.4′s, he has a 40 inch vertical, he can cover and he’s proven already he can get the edge rushing the passer. How many times do you see linebackers as the gunners on punt coverage? Almost never, except for Watson.

The question isn’t what the guys vying for the role of starting strongside LB have in terms of on-the-field athleticism, Watson wins that argument, it’s whether Watson can put it together between the ears and play the kind of smart, disciplined football Greg Schiano wants.

And that remains to be seen.

Jan 1, 2010; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Florida State Seminoles linebacker Dekoda Watson (second from right) sacks West Virginia Mountaineers quarterback Jarrett Brown (16) during the first quarter of the 2010 Gator Bowl at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Josh D. Weiss-US PRESSWIRE

At Florida State, where he was a three year starter, Watson was at times emotional and could play recklessly, he was the captain of a very undisciplined defense his senior year under Mickey Andrews. In the pros he has been coached by Raheem Morris who also ran a notoriously loose ship that featured an undisciplined, at times out of control defense. My point is, Watson may be in for a culture shock, hell, he may not even be a Schiano type player.

But if the Bucs can harness Watson’s athleticism and potential, that last upgrade at linebacker may already be on the Buccaneers roster.

http://thepewterplank.com/2012/06/14/bucs-should-look-seriously-at-starting-dekoda-watson/

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 25, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »

Please, please, please....make it happen!

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : June 25, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »

I think it would be a better possibility if Quincy was not owed a ton of money this year.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 25, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »

Certainly better than Q.B.....that's not saying much though...

I have yet to see anything that makes me believe Watson is the long term answer....not saying he can't be....but people around here definitely "pimp" Watson as if he is one of the best "option" in the "lineup"(LB core as a whole)...but know one knows the "tricks" he can actually perform.
« : June 25, 2012, 09:06:22 PM chace1986 »

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 25, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »

If hes the best choice why wouldnt you play him?

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 25, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »

Black's contract and David's draft status

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 25, 2012, 09:07:59 PM »

Exactly.....unless they wanna make Quincy the highest paid special teamer in the league.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 25, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »

$$$$

Watson is a better pass rusher and is as athletic as Black. Watson was the situational pass rusher and a good STer. He hasnt been on the field much behind Black despite arguable better performance when he is in the game. Only thing really separating the two is the contracts. Unless Watson is blatantly better, i dont think he gets a real shot due to $$$.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #8 : June 25, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »

Exactly.....unless they wanna make Quincy the highest paid special teamer in the league.

I guess they will have to ask themselves which is more important...putting the "best 11" on the field which gives you the best chance of winning?....or making sure that the most $$ possible are on the field?

Hopefully Schaino sees something similar to this when he watches Q.B. in TC and preseason.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 25, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »

I guess they will have to ask themselves which is more important...putting the "best 11" on the field which gives you the best chance of winning?....or making sure that the most $$ possible are on the field?

Hopefully Schaino sees something similar to this when he watches Q.B. in TC and preseason.

Agree, but I think Dom and company want to see what he can do, in his last contract year with competent coaching.  Then they will cut bait.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #10 : June 25, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »

Agree, but I think Dom and company want to see what he can do, in his last contract year with competent coaching.  Then they will cut bait.

Hopefully not. I look at it like skydiving...the Quincy Black parachute has essentially failed to deploy and is flapping in the wind....if you keep trying and trying and trying to get it untangled and to deploy...and dont cut it loose...then you are f*cked.

Its time to deploy the backup chute(IE...Watson, Goode, hell..even Cody Grimm)....the ground is approaching fast and we are at terminal velocity.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 25, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »

Hopefully not. I look at it like skydiving...the Quincy Black parachute has essentially failed to deploy and is flapping in the wind....if you keep trying and trying and trying to get it untangled and to deploy...and dont cut it loose...then you are f*cked.

Its time to deploy the backup chute(IE...Watson, Goode, hell..even Cody Grimm)....the ground is approaching fast and we are at terminal velocity.

Don't get me wrong,  I think he sucks as much as you.  Just sayin as a businessman, Dom will give it one more shot, he is paying him anyway, what the hell?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

gone

Hall of Famer
« #12 : June 25, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »

I've been of the opinion that he starts because first, Schiano needs to treat him lime the starter in camp at least due to the money, and second to help Dom save some face he has to at least try and coach him up.  But I don't think the money guarantees he's on the field if he's not the best.  Schiano isn't married to him, and it would actually look worse if they played him this year and cut bait at the end, because everyone would know they made the decision based purely on money. 

I could also see a scenarios where he starts early on but once he gives them enough ammo they pull him.  I really don't think anything in that group is set in stone at this point though.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 25, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »

$$$$

Watson is a better pass rusher and is as athletic as Black. Watson was the situational pass rusher and a good STer. He hasnt been on the field much behind Black despite arguable better performance when he is in the game. Only thing really separating the two is the contracts. Unless Watson is blatantly better, i dont think he gets a real shot due to $$$.

I understand that but I don't think Schiano will play him just because he makes more.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 25, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »

Given our poor LB play last season, it will a position to keep an eye on in TC for sure. Hayes is gone, and IMO NONE among Hayward, Watson, or QBlack has shown any positive level of consistancy to warrant a starting role. Maybe Schiano can get one of their light bulbs turned ON; we'll soon see...
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Should Look Seriously at Starting Dekoda Watson « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools