Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Should Look Seriously at Starting Dekoda Watson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#15 : June 25, 2012, 10:34:52 PM

i find it funny that a coach would risk getting fired by choosing not to play the best players.   heck, i want that coach fired.  dominik has shown to make some bad decisions and quickly remedy them.  schiano has given no reason to believe he came here for politics.  is quincys picture splashed on RayJay?

watson is the backup quarterback that everyone loves.  loads of potential, but has never put it all together.  from the get-go there has been 'rumors' of his inability to grasp the playbook.  in the same way that there were 'rumors' that blount had trouble grasping the passing game.  so it should be no surprise that these guys were left on the sideline when allegedly they could not be trusted.  sure, they might/or do have more potential...but if you cant get the coach to trust you, i have no problem with them not seeing the field.

this could be the classic case of fan choosing not to accept there is more to football than splash plays.  hopefully both blount and watson immerse themselves in the playbook.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 25, 2012, 11:25:56 PM

i find it funny that a coach would risk getting fired by choosing not to play the best players.   heck, i want that coach fired.  dominik has shown to make some bad decisions and quickly remedy them.  schiano has given no reason to believe he came here for politics.  is quincys picture splashed on RayJay?

watson is the backup quarterback that everyone loves.  loads of potential, but has never put it all together.  from the get-go there has been 'rumors' of his inability to grasp the playbook.  in the same way that there were 'rumors' that blount had trouble grasping the passing game.  so it should be no surprise that these guys were left on the sideline when allegedly they could not be trusted.  sure, they might/or do have more potential...but if you cant get the coach to trust you, i have no problem with them not seeing the field.

this could be the classic case of fan choosing not to accept there is more to football than splash plays.  hopefully both blount and watson immerse themselves in the playbook.

I see your point, but like it or not, there is always going to be politics involved.  By that I mean, money, draft slot, age, history with the team.  History with the HC and GM.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 25, 2012, 11:31:47 PM

It's time to cut bait with Quincy. What more do you need than last years film?

Dekoda already won the job in 2010 as far as I'm concerned. He showed he is a better player than Black. Take away the favoritism(Q.B. was Raheem's boy) and Quincy would have been gone last year, instead of being rewarded for his weight room achievements.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 25, 2012, 11:37:37 PM

I see your point, but like it or not, there is always going to be politics involved.  By that I mean, money, draft slot, age, history with the team.  History with the HC and GM.

I agree with Gametime. Schiano doesn't look like he likes to play politics too much. Dom and Schiano have to win. I doubt the Glazers are gonna make them play him if he sux.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 25, 2012, 11:48:51 PM

I could also see a scenarios where he starts early on but once he gives them enough ammo they pull him.  I really don't think anything in that group is set in stone at this point though.

At the very least, this is the direction I think the Bucs will move in unless Watson is absolutely head and shoulders above Black in preseason and I'm not sure there's that kind of opportunity available in preseason.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 26, 2012, 12:13:37 AM

I don't think Schiano will play him just because he makes more.

Gotta agree there Balla...  Schiano just doesn't seem like the type of guy to care "who's making more", and i DON'T think Dom will have a damn thing to do with the 'final call'.

I'd love to see him coach him up, well beyond his level of past mediocrity, but the odds seem against it.

Somebody said "He's as athletic as Black"...  Hell - I think he's TWICE as athletic as Black.

Whether or not he can utilize that speed, and translate it into tackles and passes defended, we can only watch this preseason.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 26, 2012, 12:16:24 AM

I could also see a scenarios where he starts early on but once he gives them enough ammo they pull him.  I really don't think anything in that group is set in stone at this point though.

At the very least, this is the direction I think the Bucs will move in unless Watson is absolutely head and shoulders above Black in preseason and I'm not sure there's that kind of opportunity available in preseason.

I dunno...  I bet Schiano gives him plenty of reps, if for nothing more than to get enough tape to make a solid decision.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 26, 2012, 12:16:40 AM

i completely disagree, but there is no answer, only opinions.  until schiano has given us reason to believe he is a politician i dont see it happening.

why would he come here if he wasnt allowed to attempt to win every game?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 26, 2012, 12:31:46 AM

Normally... Yes, there would be.  But that whole "clean slate" thing is a two-way street...

Players, who may not have performed or delivered, while under Raheem - if they shine NOW, my money is on Schiano putting the best team on the field he can.

That extention.........  Done BEFORE Schiano arrived.  May just be irrelevant.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 26, 2012, 12:33:42 AM

why would he come here if he wasnt allowed to attempt to win every game?

Zactly......  what I was thinking when I made my post above.  Makes no sense otherwise...

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 26, 2012, 12:45:53 AM

Watson was out of position and missed a lot of tackles last year too, he was no better than Black. I don't get the Watson love, he's a good athlete, that's it.

I'm not a Quincy Black fan, but people are way too hard on him. At least he has shown he's capable of being an average starter. Watson has shown that he's a one dimensional pass rusher, and he's not even great at that either. He's still a project in the works. If he does become good, I doubt it's this season.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 26, 2012, 12:58:29 AM

Watson was out of position and missed a lot of tackles last year too, he was no better than Black. I don't get the Watson love, he's a good athlete, that's it.

You had me...

I'm not a Quincy Black fan, but people are way too hard on him. At least he has shown he's capable of being an average starter.

Then you lost me...

Watson is very very overrated on this board....no doubt. I honestly think that in a year or two people will look at Watson in the light that EJ Biggers is currently sitting in. Decent player for a 7th rd pick...but definitely sucks as a no.1 or no. 2 option..maybe even no. 3 option. That said....Quincy Black was the worst LB in the league last year...and it just shows how much Barrett Ruud covered up his inadequacies in '10 and '09...and I say that as one of the ones who was clamoring for Ruud to go after the '10 season. No one can suck worse than Q.B. at SLB....so to put Goode or Watson out there can only spur an improvement at the position...I'm tired of waiting to see what Quincy can do...we have been doing that for HALF A DECADE. Time to cut the cord.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 26, 2012, 02:46:22 AM

It's a shame Watson won't get his chance because of the stupid ass contact we gave Black. Only logical solution is to cut Black if the hang up is that you don't want to pay a guy a ton of money to play special teams.

Oh wait... we already do that with our punter.

Anyways... Of Hayward, Watson, and Black... Watson should get the nod. I've said it many times... Watson was one of the main dudes that gave our defense a spark early in the season. Go back and watch tape of that first ATL game. He was. All. Over. The. Place.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 26, 2012, 07:53:25 AM

Didn't Dekoda bomb when he had the chance to start last season ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 26, 2012, 08:22:56 AM

Watson has to win the job.  Period.  NO ONE should be given their job this year.

I think the situation is perfect for him to do so - If he's got what it takes.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Should Look Seriously at Starting Dekoda Watson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools