Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Should Look Seriously at Starting Dekoda Watson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #30 : June 26, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »

It's a shame Watson won't get his chance because of the stupid ass contact we gave Black.

so you really believe that dominik sets the depth chart?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #31 : June 26, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »

Schiano has made some pretty good decisions so far, and I expect he will make another in a couple of months, and we can stop speculating. I hope to see all of our questionable players become much better with this new coaching staff. Marginal players won't be around long under Schiano, no matter what their contract says.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #32 : June 26, 2012, 09:35:04 AM »

Didn't Dekoda bomb when he had the chance to start last season ?

I think "bomb" might be a bit of an overstatement...but he wasn't as good as people proclaim and definitely showed little consistency...especially when starting the games he did. When did did start in place of Q.B. there was about the same amount of non-production from that side of the field...which isn't a good thing...considering HOW BAD Quincy was last year.

Listen, I'm down for giving Watson a shot...and I honestly hope he pans out..because that will be one less position we have to fill in the next couple of seasons.

...but anyone thinking that this guy is anything special, based upon what we have seen so far...they are probably the same ones who think Grimm is at times a top tier NFC safety, that Biggers will pan out and eventually be a good no. 2 CB or slot CB, or that Preston Parker will be one of the best slot WRs in the league...

I think the 2010 season may have fooled some people. That team was soooooo young and was starting 10+ rookies at times, and for the most part, those rookies did an adequate job. There were so many undrafted guys that played well above the level where most people expected them to play..Blount, Larsen, Grimm...etc. Fast forward to today, now it seems that people have this idea that every late round pick from the past few years will somehow step up and be a good quality starter.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #33 : June 26, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »

So what, have the Bucs only been looking at Watson jokingly up to this point? Good players find their way to the top. I hope he is a good player, but so far he is not on top. Crazy thing is somebody should count how many Watson fans are Black haters because they're both "look like Tarzan players" at least at this point. Can't reconcile the different outlook except for the usual " best player on team is on the bench" stuff

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #34 : June 26, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »

It's a shame Watson won't get his chance because of the stupid ass contact we gave Black.

I find it interesting that Schiano apparently has the power to dump T-Jax and KW-II - two moves that have to be at least mildly embarrassing to Dominik, yet is powerless to stop Black from being the starter over Watson. That makes a ton of sense.

I'd also suggest that ultimately Dominik doesn't "save face" by having his overpaid players start and contribute to disastrous seasons. On the other hand, he can survive a lot of bad contracts as long as the team wins.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #35 : June 26, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »

No one benefits from not getting the best players on the field.  Now it will be interesting to find out how two players not picked for Schiano's scheme fit into his D, as well as who starts.  But if the team wins I don't think it will matter one iota who is starting just as Booker said.

BUT first -the team has to be competitive, and that is where Schiano will make the decision and in order to do that it will require the best players for his scheme .  Whomever gives his team the best chance to compete in his defensive scheme is who he will pick.  I don't think anyone will be bumped beyond a more effective player - no one.  Schiano's ability to succeed is at stake.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #36 : June 26, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »

I hope they have an open competition at LB this year. We need the best guy on the field. If it isnt Black then have him ride the bench this year to have a little experienced depth and then get rid of the clown next offseason. Then get an upgrade. DONE!!

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #37 : June 26, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »

I think one thing clouding the issue is that some believe Watson is a clear cut upgrade over Black. I don't think he is. At best it's probably marginal in either direction. In that case it's possible if not probably that a contract could put the guy with the contract on the field at least at the beginning of the year. I don't think Schiano's job is at stake with either move. This isn't a case in which the Bucs are choosing to play a guy with Black's ability over a guy with a pro bowl ability.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #38 : June 26, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

"But if the Bucs can harness Watson’s athleticism and potential, that last upgrade at linebacker may already be on the Buccaneers roster."

I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!!!

Black will only start if he actually outplays Watson. Schiano won't hesitate to look Dom straight in the eye and tell him Black is not starting. The question really is, how will Watson react to this new coaching staff and new style of coaching? As the OP says, if he buckles down, keeps his nose in the playbook all summer, and comes out playing smart, instinctive football....he'll start and be a huge upgrade.

Draft Aaron Donald

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #39 : June 26, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »

The problem is you can apply the same thought process as far as athletic ability to Black.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

tog

Pro Bowler
« #40 : June 26, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »

He lost me at "It’s not the Black isn’t a solid NFL linebacker, he is, he just isn’t a playmaker, he doesn’t pop on film."

Watson hasn't demonstrated (in the past) that he deserves to start either with his game film and practice play.  In fact, he seems to me like a Quincy clone - looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.  You can tell, because this article author is citing his chance to start based on his athletic ability - which has worked great for the Bucs in the past.  He hasn't got onto the field because he can't pick up the playbook, and when he was on the field as a pass rusher, his supposed skill, he did little.

Stat line: 29 games played, 47 tackles, 1 sack, 3 passes defenced, 1 FF.

Now, Watson could emerge as a strong player and a clear improvement over QB.  But arguing that he has demonstrated any such ability is wishful thinking at this point.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #41 : June 26, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »

Under Schiano's watch, whoever starts will have earned it. If none appear to him as viable, Schiano will pay a little visit to Dom's office to chat about his roster... 8). Personally I think there's a reason we drafted TWO LB's in the last draft...

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #42 : June 27, 2012, 01:02:34 AM »

So what, have the Bucs only been looking at Watson jokingly up to this point? Good players find their way to the top. I hope he is a good player, but so far he is not on top. Crazy thing is somebody should count how many Watson fans are Black haters because they're both "look like Tarzan players" at least at this point. Can't reconcile the different outlook except for the usual " best player on team is on the bench" stuff

Is it so hard to believe that people have seen how bad Black was and basically assume that anyone with any skill could be as good or possibly better?

Maybe its not that people think that Watson is all world talent, but worth a shot given the horrible performances by Black?

Sounds crazy, I know.

Maybe the logic is that if you had the worst starting LBer in the NFL, maybe his backup deserves a chance to be the worst. They both couldnt possibly be the worst right?

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

« #43 : June 27, 2012, 01:09:20 AM »

I actually find the notion that the contract determines who starts quite ridiculous.

But a lot of people seem to believe it's how it works on this board.

And watching Black last year, and watching Geno, I can't **CENSORED**ing figure out how Geno was benched and Black wasn't.

For what it's worth.. I don't think Schiano is going to give two **CENSORED**s about who gets paid the most. He's putting the best 11 out there.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #44 : June 27, 2012, 07:01:55 AM »

Don't forget about Goode. Schiano obviously really likes the guy. If he gets the playbook quickly and plays well in camp/preseason, I think he'll get just as fair a shot at starting SAM as Watson or Black.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Should Look Seriously at Starting Dekoda Watson « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools