Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFF: Okoye and Gilberry good, Roy Miller bad « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 27, 2012, 01:16:56 AM

20 pressures increased to 91 pressures. I would say that's an upgrade.

Miller hasnt been very good, but the number of snaps vary greatly between some of these players. They are also just looking at pass rush. NTs are often asked to eat up 2 blockers to create better matchups for the other D-linemen. So ultimately, these numbers only tell a small fraction of the story. If guy like Franklin(many consider pretty good or at least average) or Miller are eating up blocks, its just as good as a pressure.

Im not defending Millers play because it hasnt been all that good. Im just stating that yet again PFFs "findings" are just an interesting read to consider upon other factors and in no way tell the story of a players performance. Also it should be noted that Miller isnt a pass rusher and wasnt brought in to be one per say. The last 2-3 years, the Bucs have brought in other guys to rush from the NT spot like Bennett. Theres a reason for that.....Miller is a block eater(in theory anyways), not a pass rusher.

Miller won't fit the new defense. He was drafted to be a NT that can hold the point not pass rush, and the defense he was drafted to be used in was Bates. With the current D-line scheme the DTs have to penetrate. Bye miller? but he does fit the "Schiano way"

Sorry bud, but thats not right. The NT is lined up over the LGs inside shoulder in most fronts(1-gap schemes) and is supposed to shoot the A gap, thus drawing the C and G(4 man rush). This leaves the more athletic UT a 1 on 1 matchup against the RG. It also leaves the DEs in 1 on 1s(unless TE or RB help). NT is supposed to penetrate, yes, but that is to draw the double. If he still get penetration beyond that, they arte usually one of the best in the league if its somewhat consistent.

Once again, not defending Millers play, but these PFF numbers tell us very little about how Miller has performed.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

lowlife

Starter
#16 : June 27, 2012, 08:36:23 AM

Just like any "stat," they need context to be used in an argument.

Doesn't take any kind of metric or extensive film study to see that Miller was pretty awful last season.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : June 27, 2012, 09:15:04 AM

Once again, not defending Millers play, but these PFF numbers tell us very little about how Miller has performed.

Bullcrap.  It tells you Miller isn't good at rushing the passer.  End of story.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 27, 2012, 09:27:34 AM

Was miller playing injured last year?  Thought I read he was...not sure what's up with him.  Looks the part but hasn't impressed me at all.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 27, 2012, 09:42:01 AM

Why bother, the dude is an idiot. Even a blind man can see how incredibly ineffective Roy Miller has been throughout his career.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 27, 2012, 10:08:16 AM

Anyone want to speculate on the roster breakdown by position? Just numbers, not players (unless you want to do players). It's a little trickier with so many swing players this year.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 27, 2012, 10:36:17 AM

Yup.

Miller sucks.  He is a one on one nightmare.  For us.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 27, 2012, 10:39:03 AM

This is impossible.  Miller put up 36 reps on the bench press at the combine.  Everyone knows that that's the sole determinant of linemen's rushing ability.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 27, 2012, 12:43:33 PM

Why bother, the dude is an idiot. Even a blind man can see how incredibly ineffective Roy Miller has been throughout his career.

Why bother reading a post either huh? I said Miller played poorly, but your awesome comprehension skills showed as much. This stat alone tells us very little how he played. He payed like crap, but this stat isnt the identifier by any means. A NT is measured more by the double teams he draws than the pressure he gets. He hasnt been able to eat up those either, but this stat doesnt show that, does it? Surely your feeble mind can understand that right? Then again, you probably wont read the entire post.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 27, 2012, 12:45:45 PM

This is impossible.  Miller put up 36 reps on the bench press at the combine.  Everyone knows that that's the sole determinant of linemen's rushing ability.

Dude holds a bunch of weight lifting records at Texas...not that it translates to anything.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 27, 2012, 12:47:25 PM

lol, when was he one? its so funny you come to the defense of your premium pay membership for PFF. It would be awesome if they put all of their stats together and came to a legitimate conclusion. You would think for that pay membership they would do more than let their members make sense of all of it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : June 27, 2012, 01:01:20 PM

lol, when was he one? its so funny you come to the defense of your premium pay membership for PFF. It would be awesome if they put all of their stats together and came to a legitimate conclusion. You would think for that pay membership they would do more than let their members make sense of all of it.

I'm not coming to the defense of anything.  I don't have to.  You admit Miller isn't good at rushing the passer - so WTF are you even arguing about, here?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 27, 2012, 01:12:05 PM

I'm not coming to the defense of anything.  I don't have to.  You admit Miller isn't good at rushing the passer - so WTF are you even arguing about, here?

wish I could type it slowly for you. Pressures arent the only measurement for a NT in the pass rushing department. His ability to eat up double teams can be just as important or even more important. Miller wasnt too good at that either, but its not reflected by the 1 random PFF number now is it?

The point is it is easy to look at a single number like pressures and say this guy sucks at pass rushing. In all actuallity, there are more contributing factors.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#28 : June 27, 2012, 01:17:47 PM

Pressures arent the only measurement for a NT in the pass rushing department. His ability to eat up double teams can be just as important or even more important.

Oh, so Miller is double-team eating machine?  Cool.  How many double teams did Miller take on compared to other players on this list?  Why in the hell would a team need to double-team Miller?

When you have to yank stuff from you anal cavity, you lose.

Miller wasnt too good at that either, but its not reflected by the 1 random PFF number now is it?

Again - WTF are you arguing.  You keep admitting Miller sucks while making excuses for his lack of pressures.

And LMAO @ "random".

The point is it is easy to look at a single number like pressures and say this guy sucks at pass rushing. In all actuallity, there are more contributing factors.

No, it's pretty easy to see is and who isn't good at pressuring the QB.  Why that's so damn hard for you to come out and admit is another issue altogether.

jcm

Second String

#29 : June 27, 2012, 02:18:27 PM

Miller has benefitted from the lack of talent and or injury situation on the defensive line for the last 3 years. He's not stout against the run, he doesn't rush the passer, and he misses a lot of tackles.  If he is on the team after training camp he has either found something he has never had in the pros before or the Bucs Dline is in worse shape than everyone wants.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFF: Okoye and Gilberry good, Roy Miller bad « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools