Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCOTUS strikes down mandate in health law « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: June 28, 2012, 10:10:52 AM

Finally, some justice from the Supreme Court for the American taxpayer!!!

Guess I jumped too quick on the headline.

It's considered a tax

Don't know what that means.

Even TV new hosts don't seem to know either.
: June 28, 2012, 10:19:16 AM Uncle Stan

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

spartan

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 28, 2012, 10:41:44 AM

Scratching my head a bit here to be honest. It looks like the SC struck down the the reasons argued by the Administration, but then upheld the mandate as a tax, which the Administration did not argue as far as I can tell. if I read that correctly there is going to be a bit of 'discussion' about that.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

#2 : June 28, 2012, 11:17:55 AM

What Im reading on yahoo is that the law was upheld as a tax, and Obamacare will go through. Chief Justice Roberts (a Bush appointee) swayed to the liberal side of the voting.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 28, 2012, 11:55:43 AM

It's considered a tax

This explains it.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77935.html

Obama wins this one.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 28, 2012, 03:45:37 PM

Horrible day for the Constitution and America.

Dark days are ahead if this disaster isn't repealed.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#5 : June 28, 2012, 04:53:51 PM

It's considered a tax

This explains it.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77935.html

Obama wins this one.

Agreed that he "won" the battle, question is did he do so at expense of the war.  This will now be the rallying cry for Republicans. "The only way to defeat Obabama Care is to defeat Obama."

I have not had a chance to read the opinions yet, but wonder how much the election year played into the decision, almost a punt of sorts. Maybe at too big a cost to be considered a punt though

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#6 : June 28, 2012, 05:27:07 PM

Congress reserves the right to tax. The penalty for NOT keeping it can be considered a tax ( tax in reverse). Won't bother arguing the right or wrong of expecting people that show up to an ER room to have health insurance.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#7 : June 28, 2012, 05:33:12 PM

On the upside, Roberts in his opinion seems to have totally nailed down the Commerce Clause so Congress cannot abuse it in this fashion again. The bad news is he pretty much said that as long as it is not a penalty or a mandate, Congress can pretty much do this for just about any subject matter, but, they can't pretend it's not a tax which might make it a bit tougher pill for Americans to swallow.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 28, 2012, 05:35:24 PM

This could well be a bad moment for Barry in the long run - (November 7th) as noted above.  If the only way to be rid of this "tax"/law is to be rid of Barry there are folks of all parties who will find the price acceptable. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

spartan

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 28, 2012, 05:54:44 PM

I can vouch personally that Romneys campaign got a bit richer today. I know I am against pretty much all of Obama's policies but was still pretty much on the fence about Romney. This forced me off the fence.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 28, 2012, 07:10:22 PM

Anyone that votes for this guy again gets what they deserve.  Just think before you take the rest of us down with you.

Brahmal

Second String
#11 : June 28, 2012, 07:46:32 PM

I can vouch personally that Romneys campaign got a bit richer today. I know I am against pretty much all of Obama's policies but was still pretty much on the fence about Romney. This forced me off the fence.
I understand the idea of voting for the platform, not the candidate, but you can't deny the irony of this situation. 

spartan

Hall of Famer
#12 : June 28, 2012, 08:35:04 PM

I understand the idea of voting for the platform, not the candidate, but you can't deny the irony of this situation.

Maybe, but you reap what you sow!

spartan

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 28, 2012, 09:05:18 PM

You know, the funny thing about this is that all of the reasons presented by the "Constitutional Professor" were thrown out as unconstitutional, yet the one thing he said it wasn't, was the only thing that kept it in law!

Brahmal

Second String
#14 : June 28, 2012, 09:42:00 PM

Maybe, but you reap what you sow!
I think you misunderstand. 

Obamacare is Romneycare.  Irony is your anger at Obamacare convincing you to vote for the guy who came up with the idea in the first place.  This makes me chuckle. 
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCOTUS strikes down mandate in health law « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools