Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who will have the bigger year? ..... Doug Martin or Reggie Bush? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 01, 2012, 08:57:31 AM

I'll jump right on the McCoy is not overrated train. He is the only consistent player on the Eagles offense.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 01, 2012, 09:03:29 AM

Recent rbs who are slightly overrated...Mendenhall, Addai, maybe even Lesean mccoy as of late.

McCoy overrated? My brotha..... is that a joke?

We should be so lucky to have a guy like LeSean on the Bucs.   Maybe Martin turns into that good of a player, we shall see soon enough.

So...yea. Admittedly...not a great post. I own it. Even though I stand by the point I was making, in response to Jdub, my examples were poor. Personally, I think Mendenhall is a little overrated...I stand by that one. Addai, maybe for a year or two was overrated...but now has fallen off the Earth. Now..on to the blunders. LeSean Mccoy. The first thing that led to the "maybe even LeSean McCoy" was that I have too many friends here who are Iggles-haters and over the past couple of year, I have heard nothing but really blind hate for any Philly players. So I let that creep into my head for 5 seconds and also memory didn't serve me well that he did go beast mode last year and statistically had a good '10 as well. AJ, even though I posted that about McCoy, I would have never disagreed with the fact that I would love for him (or a guy who produces like him) to be a Buc...and yes hopefully Martin will be that guy. Now I did say the word "maybe"..but even still....even to hint that was a reach...which was hypocritical since I was accusing JDub of doing the same thing essentially. My apologies there. Now to the OJ thing. In the sentences that stated "an argument can be made that OJ was overrated"....before the "one incredible year" I should have put IIRC. Always fact check when not sure, I guess.

Oh well, I could have let this one die...but I figured it would be best to take ownership of the error..even at the risk of more people seeing it with a bump.

#fail.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 01, 2012, 09:21:54 AM

lol, dude hasnt played a down. I hope he out performs him but how it this even a question before he plays in a single regular season game.
Right.

I suppose we should ask Gametime.  He always seems to ask questions.  About half his posts are questions.  "?"
. The dude is like  Socrates

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 01, 2012, 09:26:28 AM

Chace - nice post. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 01, 2012, 09:28:12 AM

And to think we could of had McCoy with that pick we traded for Winslow.  Thanks Dum.  But instead he signed that bum from the Giants that lasted 1 year...all part of his plan.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 01, 2012, 09:30:07 AM

Everybody that posts anything worth reading will undoubtedly make mistakes from time to time. Kudos for admitting it. Most posters won't.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 01, 2012, 11:12:32 AM

Recent rbs who are slightly overrated...Mendenhall, Addai, maybe even Lesean mccoy as of late.

McCoy overrated? My brotha..... is that a joke?

We should be so lucky to have a guy like LeSean on the Bucs.   Maybe Martin turns into that good of a player, we shall see soon enough.

So...yea. Admittedly...not a great post. I own it. Even though I stand by the point I was making, in response to Jdub, my examples were poor. Personally, I think Mendenhall is a little overrated...I stand by that one. Addai, maybe for a year or two was overrated...but now has fallen off the Earth. Now..on to the blunders. LeSean Mccoy. The first thing that led to the "maybe even LeSean McCoy" was that I have too many friends here who are Iggles-haters and over the past couple of year, I have heard nothing but really blind hate for any Philly players. So I let that creep into my head for 5 seconds and also memory didn't serve me well that he did go beast mode last year and statistically had a good '10 as well. AJ, even though I posted that about McCoy, I would have never disagreed with the fact that I would love for him (or a guy who produces like him) to be a Buc...and yes hopefully Martin will be that guy. Now I did say the word "maybe"..but even still....even to hint that was a reach...which was hypocritical since I was accusing JDub of doing the same thing essentially. My apologies there. Now to the OJ thing. In the sentences that stated "an argument can be made that OJ was overrated"....before the "one incredible year" I should have put IIRC. Always fact check when not sure, I guess.

Oh well, I could have let this one die...but I figured it would be best to take ownership of the error..even at the risk of more people seeing it with a bump.

#fail.

No prob Bro, I HATE the Eagles too, about the only guy I like over there is LeSean.  Great all purpose player.

Hey its holiday week, we are all throwing back a few.   

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY !

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 01, 2012, 01:49:29 PM

Overrated? Over the last two years he had 2400 rushing yards and 900 receiving yards with 29 TDs....and he is probably the closest thing to Barry Sanders this generation will see.

Yeah, overrated.

I'm not saying McCoy isn't a great running back... but closest thing to Barry Sanders?  That's crazy.  And you're not the first person to make that comparison.

Hell, of all runners in the league, I think Jamaal Charles tops the list of "closest thing to Barry Sanders." Charles is more elusive than McCoy, more explosive, and -- outside of touchdowns scored -- has posted comparable numbers while splitting carries.  And for what it's worth, McCoy's touchdowns are more a product of situation than skill: the Eagles don't have a short yardage option, so they pound McCoy inside the five yard line.  Ten of his 20 touchdowns last season came from inside the two yard line.  Cadillac "tackled for loss" Williams could've pulled that off if he had the opportunity.  Production is production and touchdowns are touchdowns, I understand, but I'd rank... say... DeAngelo Williams's 2008 (a year in which he didn't make the Pro Bowl) over McCoy's 2011.

So yes, as long as people keep calling him this generation's Sanders, LeSean McCoy will be overrated.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 01, 2012, 01:52:59 PM

Comparing ANYONE to Barry sanders is crazy.

But when you think current NFL players that have production and resemble the running style of Barry the first guys that come to mind are McCoy,Charles, and Chris Johnson.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 01, 2012, 02:06:11 PM

Now to the OJ thing. In the sentences that stated "an argument can be made that OJ was overrated"....before the "one incredible year" I should have put IIRC. Always fact check when not sure, I guess.

OJ's an odd case.  You'll find him near the top of "most overrated athletes" lists, and I think it's a combination of his slow NFL start, and his post-career exposure.  But between those bookends, he gave us one of the most astounding bodies of work in sports history.  But there's an oft-overlooked asterisk to his mind-blowing production, however...

From 1969 to 1971, Simpson ran for a measly 1927 yards on an uninspiring 3.98 yards per carry.  Both numbers were below average, even in that era of NFL football.  But in 1972, the league made a significant change to the metrics of the game: they squeezed the hash marks closer to the center of the field.  Before the change, if the ball was on the left hash mark, it made running left a near-impossibility.  Ditto the right hash mark.  Teams were almost obligated to run to the open side of the field.  But when they readjusted the marks, it opened up both sides of the field, and rushing records starting falling immediately afterwards.  OJ led the league in rushing in 1972, then ran for 2,003 yards (and his Bills ran for almost 3,100 in only 14 games) in 1973.  Scatback Mercury Morris had a breakout season for the '72 Dolphins.  Franco Harris became the offensive focal point for the Steeler dynasty.

By the time defenses adjusted to the changes, OJ was on the wrong side of 30, and pretty much done with the NFL.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 01, 2012, 02:10:00 PM

Comparing ANYONE to Barry sanders is crazy.

But when you think current NFL players that have production and resemble the running style of Barry the first guys that come to mind are McCoy,Charles, and Chris Johnson.

McCoy reminds me more of a Tiki Barber or (funnily enough) a Brian Westbrook than a Barry Sanders.  The Sanders comparisons aren't misplaced, in my opinion, but aren't wholly appropriate either.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 01, 2012, 09:49:32 PM

Now to the OJ thing. In the sentences that stated "an argument can be made that OJ was overrated"....before the "one incredible year" I should have put IIRC. Always fact check when not sure, I guess.

OJ's an odd case.  You'll find him near the top of "most overrated athletes" lists, and I think it's a combination of his slow NFL start, and his post-career exposure.  But between those bookends, he gave us one of the most astounding bodies of work in sports history.  But there's an oft-overlooked asterisk to his mind-blowing production, however...

From 1969 to 1971, Simpson ran for a measly 1927 yards on an uninspiring 3.98 yards per carry.  Both numbers were below average, even in that era of NFL football.  But in 1972, the league made a significant change to the metrics of the game: they squeezed the hash marks closer to the center of the field.  Before the change, if the ball was on the left hash mark, it made running left a near-impossibility.  Ditto the right hash mark.  Teams were almost obligated to run to the open side of the field.  But when they readjusted the marks, it opened up both sides of the field, and rushing records starting falling immediately afterwards.  OJ led the league in rushing in 1972, then ran for 2,003 yards (and his Bills ran for almost 3,100 in only 14 games) in 1973.  Scatback Mercury Morris had a breakout season for the '72 Dolphins.  Franco Harris became the offensive focal point for the Steeler dynasty.

By the time defenses adjusted to the changes, OJ was on the wrong side of 30, and pretty much done with the NFL.

We all know he is a scumbag, but having said that, dude was unstoppable back in the day.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 02, 2012, 08:58:25 AM

No prob Bro, I HATE the Eagles too, about the only guy I like over there is LeSean.  Great all purpose player.

Hey its holiday week, we are all throwing back a few.   

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY !

Lol..same to you.

Yea...I can't use alcohol as an excuse...but maybe fatigue....I'm currently in the middle of working my 8th straight, 12 hour day...with one more to go. Can't wait til the 4th.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Go Bucs 2012

Rookie

#43 : July 02, 2012, 09:56:49 AM

I'd say that Bush will have a better season

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 02, 2012, 09:59:13 AM

I'd say that Bush will have a better season

I think I read an article where Bush said he aspired to rush for 2000 yards this season.

He won't get anywhere close to that but if he even gets 1000 that's more than I expect from Martin his rookie year. Blount should have more carries.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who will have the bigger year? ..... Doug Martin or Reggie Bush? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools