Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New leaked e-mail suggests Joe Pa had active role in Sandusky cover-up « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#60 : July 25, 2012, 08:46:05 PM

Corporations are routinely punished for the actions of their employees, particularly when they have fostered an atmosphere that allowed or encouraged those actions. And those crimes are usually far less heinous than what happened here. You can't change a culture by moving a few individuals and leaving the culture in place.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#61 : July 25, 2012, 09:15:51 PM

IF those who are still there did nothing - what is being accomplished with "essentially a death penalty" at this point?

The School had to be punished somehow.

The football players who are there now are free to leave without having to sit out a year.
I don't think the School hurt anyone.  I think people did.  The people responsible have been fired, or in jail or dead.  I understand the retribution concept - but my thought is they are punishing the innocent.

The School put the people in place and fostered the culture that led to the egregious cover up.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#62 : July 25, 2012, 09:21:41 PM

I have understood the School as a target from the onset.  The School is people.  The people who permitted the "egregious" coverup are no longer there.  If you want to punish those at fault - it is people - punishing them I understand.  Punishing a entity that isn't human gets a bit fuzzy for me. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#63 : July 25, 2012, 09:30:06 PM

Not sure why it's so fuzzy.   The School is responsible for their people.   So they are forced to pay the piper when their people screw up.

Apparently PSU was facing a 4 year death penalty and several presidents appeared to have felt that was the appropriate punishment.   Hence the school accepting the NCAA's sanctions.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8199905/penn-state-nittany-lions-rodney-erickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

Erickson said if Penn State did not agree to the sanctions, a formal investigation would have begun and the university could have faced a multiyear death penalty, as well as "other sanctions," including a financial penalty far greater than $60 million.

"There were figures that were thrown around that were quite large," he said.

Here's another quote from the decree signed by Erickson:

The decree states the evidence against Penn State "presents an unprecedented failure of institutional integrity leading to a culture in which a football program was held in higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education and, most disturbingly, the values of human decency."
: July 25, 2012, 09:33:54 PM olafberserker

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#64 : July 25, 2012, 09:40:46 PM

No other way to explain it. Letting it go.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#65 : July 26, 2012, 08:35:25 AM

People are getting your point, dbuc, they just disagree. There are a lot of individuals here that weren't punished. They could have spoken up but didn't. And why didn't they? Because there was a system in place that inhibited them from doing so. That system must be altered. Punishing the few individuals you're capable of convicting does very little to accomplish that. Punishing the institution that allowed this system does, along with serving as a warning to other institutions that if they allow such systems to develop they will face similar penalties.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#66 : July 26, 2012, 09:21:36 AM

I have understood the School as a target from the onset.  The School is people.  The people who permitted the "egregious" coverup are no longer there.  If you want to punish those at fault - it is people - punishing them I understand.  Punishing a entity that isn't human gets a bit fuzzy for me. 

This is how it works.  The School, and the people who did wrong, are punished in matter such as this.  Just look at the USC penalties when the Reggie Bush scandal happened.  Reggie Bush and co. were long gone, but the school was punished for allowing such things to happen.

And what innocent people are being punished?  All of the players are allowed to transfer without penalty, if they choose to.  I'm not aware of any deciding to choose that option as of yet,

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#67 : July 26, 2012, 09:26:20 AM

People are getting your point, dbuc, they just disagree.
And that is perfectly fine. 

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#68 : July 27, 2012, 09:29:03 PM

Wow....

http://americanfreepress.net/?p=5131

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#69 : July 27, 2012, 11:35:25 PM

This is how it works.  The School, and the people who did wrong, are punished in matter such as this.  Just look at the USC penalties when the Reggie Bush scandal happened.  Reggie Bush and co. were long gone, but the school was punished for allowing such things to happen.

And what innocent people are being punished?  All of the players are allowed to transfer without penalty, if they choose to.  I'm not aware of any deciding to choose that option as of yet,
Only guy Ive seen so far is the RB Silas Redd who may go to USC. Its really late in the offseason to do be leaving your team. Which is why I'm wondering if they can leave next year too and play right away.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#70 : July 30, 2012, 12:24:22 AM

Wow....

http://americanfreepress.net/?p=5131

The Anomoly,

That's an Incredible, must read!
(SPOILER ALERT : so the author is basically saying that JoePa was the FALL GUY, instead of the Kingpin.... )

If that article is true (which it does sound reasonable), then why did the NCAA personally take away HIS wins??

I think Penn State PLEA BARGAINED with the NCAA-- saying "You don't investigate any more and we'll accept ANY punishment", because, if what the author says is true-- we're talking about a REALLY DISGUSTING WEB that would be a black eye to a wider scope of the NCAA community...

: July 30, 2012, 12:35:26 AM TheChronicHotAir

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#71 : July 30, 2012, 12:29:30 AM

Kinda funny watching you try so hard for attention down here in the dungeon.  Guess the schtick does not work as well on the Red Board these days?  Sad if that is true because the Red Board . . . well.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#72 : July 30, 2012, 04:52:39 AM

Kinda funny watching you try so hard for attention down here in the dungeon.  Guess the schtick does not work as well on the Red Board these days?  Sad if that is true because the Red Board . . . well.

He locked his own thread so no one can post in it, yet he keeps posting in it to bump it. Its gotten very, very sad. He should probably be on suicide watch.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New leaked e-mail suggests Joe Pa had active role in Sandusky cover-up « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools