Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do you fans think our new OC and DC will do? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

: July 06, 2012, 09:02:47 AM

Mike Sullivan - eight years with the Giants. His experience consists of being a WR coach for six years and later promoted to QB coach which he did the last two years.

Bill Sheridan - LB coach for three years then promoted to DC for the Giants in 2009. After reading a few articles, he was fired by Tom Coughlin because his defense gave up 427 points in 2009 although they did have some injuries. Later he was the LB coach for the Dolphins and was going to be the DC for Ohio State prior to getting an offer with the Bucs.

Does anyone know more about these guys and how do you fans think they'll do?

Yes we have the pieces on the field but the game plan is equally important.

Thoughts?

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 06, 2012, 09:41:43 AM

I'm pretty sure you can find a large amounts of threads dating back to around the days they were hired who will have tons of answers to your questions. :)

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#2 : July 06, 2012, 10:13:04 AM

I'm pretty sure you can find a large amounts of threads dating back to around the days they were hired who will have tons of answers to your questions. :)

that's kind of a crappy way to respond to a fellow buc fan, don't you think? 

it's boring season for the football offseason, why not revisit the gameplan and expectations thing now that we have added new players?

unfortunately, I don't have any real insight to speculating about the gameplans of our new OC and DC, so I'm just going to sit back and not say anything   ;)

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 06, 2012, 10:36:54 AM

Mike Sullivan - eight years with the Giants. His experience consists of being a WR coach for six years and later promoted to QB coach which he did the last two years.

Bill Sheridan - LB coach for three years then promoted to DC for the Giants in 2009. After reading a few articles, he was fired by Tom Coughlin because his defense gave up 427 points in 2009 although they did have some injuries. Later he was the LB coach for the Dolphins and was going to be the DC for Ohio State prior to getting an offer with the Bucs.

Does anyone know more about these guys and how do you fans think they'll do?

Yes we have the pieces on the field but the game plan is equally important.

Thoughts?

I think you pretty much covered it.  Hate this time of year. 
Can't wait for the action to pick up.

Turn the page.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 06, 2012, 11:51:17 AM

Three more weeks!

I think Sheridan will do fine. In NY he was kinda thrown into the fire without much preparation. He also had a defense that suffered lots of injuries, including Tuck, Umenyoria, and Kiwanuka all being out for long stretches that year. The Giants offense tanked after game 5, and had like 22ppg. They started 5-0 and ended up 8-8. I think Sheridan was a bit of a scapegoat for that, honestly.

Sullivan is smart, creative and experienced. I'm very, very excited about Sullivan.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 06, 2012, 02:53:25 PM

Sullivan is smart, creative and experienced. I'm very, very excited about Sullivan.

Agreed.  I've heard the most about him and am excited as well.
I really think many of our position coaches are going to bring some good things to the table.
The right attitude seems to be there.

Turn the page.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 06, 2012, 04:21:37 PM

Agreed.  I've heard the most about him and am excited as well.
I really think many of our position coaches are going to bring some good things to the table.
The right attitude seems to be there.

We all heard great things about Jagodzinski and Bates back in 2009 before the season actually started. It's all just part of the pre-season hype and spin that teams put on. In reality, Sheridan and Sullivan don't look any better on paper than the 2 clowns who were just sent packing at the end of last season. If one of them isn't up to par it will help determine the fate of the other. A bad offense makes a team's defense look bad and visa versa. Let's hope Sheridan learned from his past mistakes (and they were big ones) and that Sullivan becomes a creative, effective play caller (something he has never done at the NFL level). There's still a lot of question marks that really won't be answered until each of these guys has a couple of seasons under their belt. At least they both have the element of surprise working for them the first year.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 06, 2012, 04:55:45 PM

It's all just part of the pre-season hype and spin that teams put on.

Fair point but at least we've got hope.
if not for that what do we have?

At least, Olsen is no longer around.
That in itself is a huge victory.

Turn the page.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 06, 2012, 04:59:17 PM

I guess we shouldn't even talk about it seeing as how it has been discussed before and won't be answered until the season starts. /Sarcasm.

I think both will be fine. It seems like the positional coach hires will help significantly. I'm really excited about Bostad, Byner, Cox, and Cooper. I think Sullivan will really benefit from the coaches as well as the players that are in place. Our offense has a personnel that could very much mimic what the Giants do. Sheridan will have to cross his fingers that our regularly injured/suspended defenders don't end up injured/suspended.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 06, 2012, 05:13:34 PM

I guess we shouldn't even talk about it seeing as how it has been discussed before and won't be answered until the season starts. /Sarcasm.

Knock yourself out. All I'm saying is I have no reason to be prematurely excited about a DC who was fired from his last DC job for orchestrating a total collapse that was just as bad as the Bucs' collapse last season and an OC who has never called a play in the NFL before. Not trying to be a naysayer. Just  don't have anything to latch onto at present that says these guys will be great. The proof will be in the performance I guess but their past resumes do absolutely nothing to get me excited.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 06, 2012, 10:05:10 PM

No reason to NOT like Sullivan; solid track record with the Giants.
   Sheridan I'm a little more cautious with, but since Schiano made such calculated choices in selecting his assistants, I'm optimistically hopeful. Injuries DO play a huge role in a units' success or failure...

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#11 : July 08, 2012, 08:03:56 PM

I like both hires BUT I at the same time HATE the fact we hired 2 basically ROOKIE coordinators.  I DO think that we have enough experience in Schiano & the entire staff to make a gameplan and execute it. I also like the idea of starting a new team from the beginning with the new OC & DC and growing from the ground up.  I am sure there may be some bumps in the road but it will make us stronger. So all together I really DO like the hires when you think of the team aspect and everyone being on the same page.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 08, 2012, 08:19:38 PM

They both come from good backgrounds. They should be better than what we had last year. I don't know how they wouldn't be. Still too early to tell but from what I've heard they should help our team.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 09, 2012, 08:06:23 AM

My prediction: Sullivan will look like a genius , and Sheridan will become a goat of the fans.

As usual , it will NOT be a coincidence that the offense is loaded with talent and the defense is devoid of it , but so it goes for a coach in the NFL.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 09, 2012, 08:23:07 AM

Quote from: Dolorous Jason
My prediction: Sullivan will look like a genius , and Sheridan will become a goat of the fans.

As usual , it will NOT be a coincidence that the offense is loaded with talent and the defense is devoid of it , but so it goes for a coach in the NFL.

I'll beat that goat to death if our defense looks like it did this past season.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do you fans think our new OC and DC will do? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools