Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnathan Banks speed « previous next »
Page: 1

SoberInSac

Second String

: May 14, 2013, 01:56:24 PM

Dont know if this has been mentioned before. Banks may not have a fast 40 time, but he is a ball hawk. Its worth noting he owns the record all time in the SEC for average return yardage on interceptions. for his 15 career INT's he averaged 21.4 yards a return. Now I dont know about you but I like the sound of that. Like we all say ill take football speed over track speed every time. The more I learn about him the more im liking this pick. time will tell but I think he will be a very good pro. Go Bucs!!! 8)

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 14, 2013, 02:24:27 PM

There are plenty of exceptions to the "he had a bad 40 time" spiel. Johnthan Banks, I believe, will be one of them...Just like Brandon Flowers, Just like Tramon Williams..etc.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 14, 2013, 02:26:34 PM

I think the return yardage stat is more about his football IQ and playing field vision.

Regardless, those two things will make him an above average player once he gets some live NFL experience.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 14, 2013, 03:03:45 PM

He could be the next Ronde Barber in waiting, only 4 inches taller...

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#4 : May 14, 2013, 03:20:25 PM

If you think about 40 times it's not that huge of a deal.  What are we talking here the difference between a 4.5 and a 4.3 40.  Two tenths of a second in 40 yards equates to what, a quarter of a step lead?  It's not every play that a fly route is ran which is the place that track speed would show up.  I think what's more important is athleticism, ball awareness and heart.  Along the same train of thought as NDY had, just ask Ronda if you can have a career in the NFL as a cornerback without world class speed.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#5 : May 14, 2013, 03:21:09 PM

Forty times are nice to know but people put too much stock into them.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#6 : May 14, 2013, 03:57:07 PM

Joe Haden ran slow too. Hasnt hurt his career

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#7 : May 14, 2013, 04:01:25 PM

Agree with all the above posts. 

Same goes for the straight line speed of a WR.  It's great....for a few play calls but I'll take overall talent and instincts over straight line speed anyday.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 14, 2013, 04:16:45 PM

I don't even put stock in 40 times anymore.

Other than showing health or an overall ability to grasp learning curve concepts(such as master the 40), it doesn't show a whole lot immediately or otherwise.

The reasons it doesn't matter to me are numerous, but I'll keep it to some basics.

1. Pads make a big difference from player to player.
2. When running a 40, there are certain "gimmicks/tricks" trainers use to get more speed(head low, swing arm to start, and as little resistance as possible), of which are seldomly used in football, especially corners. They'll never be in that starting position like in the 40.
3. Depending on how well trained they are at that particular event, some gain advantages over other 40 timers. A high school sprinter might have more experiance in running the event than a high school football player, but that doesn't nessessarily mean the sprinter is faster in the longrun, just that the extra experiance serves as an advantage.
4. Boiling a whole college season down to a 40 time is crazy. The guy could be having a bad day, sick, injured in some matter and won't say, or I'll prepared. I say trust the gametape.
5. Some times aren't correct. For example, I forget exactly what player it was, but it was said a three hundred pounder ran a 4.5 (or maybe under). Later it was discovered that in fact, it was 4.7 or almost five. It was talked about a bit on the RB awhile ago before draft.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnathan Banks speed « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools