Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do you fans think our new OC and DC will do? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #15 : July 09, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Sheridan, but Schiano is a defensive minded coach so I think this will really be Schiano's defense much more than Sheridan's. I'm not too concerned.

I feel really good about Sullivan. I guess that is mostly just optimism because as an OC he is unproven, but I like how Eli has improved over the last couple years with Sullivan as his QB coach and I'm expecting an offense similar to the New York Giants....which is run first and take deep shots down field, so I'm excited about that.

For the first time in over a decade there will be no connection to the Dungy/Kiffin defense or Gruden's offense. I'm sure with so much turn over and new schemes there will be struggles, but we have an entirely new identity. Should be a fresh and exciting season.

Draft Aaron Donald

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #16 : July 09, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »

I believe they will both do a great job. The position coaches under them are outstanding and the players have talent and ability. What was lacking was leadership. Schiano has that covered. The elements are coming together for a great season. If this team can avoid key injuries, they can win the division. 9 wins minimum. There is a committee approach in the leadership. Schiano is clearly in charge, but he has surrounded himself with experienced advisers. The best players will start and the rest will have to earn their opportunities. Raheem took on too much as HC and DC. This way is much much better. I'm looking forward to a very enjoyable season.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #17 : July 09, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »

Like some have said Sullivan was a nobrainer hire.

Sheridan on the other hand make me nervous. He had a talented defense a couple years ago and underacheived. My expectations are tempered for the defense, but if they stay healthy they will be ok

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

« #18 : July 09, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »

This will be a Schiano/Davis defense with Sheridan simply a title holder so Davis can double dip. Sully is going to do wonders for Freeman. Hope he has that giants Playbook memorized.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #19 : July 09, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »

Like some have said Sullivan was a nobrainer hire.

Sheridan on the other hand make me nervous. He had a talented defense a couple years ago and underacheived. My expectations are tempered for the defense, but if they stay healthy they will be ok

If Im not mistaken but I think I remember something I read saying that Sheridan had the Giants defense rated number one for a few weeks but then lots of starters got hurt and the defense play really suffered because of it. They said that as a coach he took most of the blame and got fired because of it. I hope the guy knows what hes doing. We need that defense to come up with some big stops this year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #20 : July 09, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »

All I know is Schiano has said repeatedly that is front seven his defense will play downhill. I like that a lot. No more waiting for the play to come to you. These guys are going to be taught to attack the ball carrier and play downhill. I am not sure if we have all the players we need to be great at it, but it's a great change of philosophy Imo and I'm excited about it.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #21 : July 09, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »

All I know is Schiano has said repeatedly that is front seven his defense will play downhill. I like that a lot. No more waiting for the play to come to you. These guys are going to be taught to attack the ball carrier and play downhill. I am not sure if we have all the players we need to be great at it, but it's a great change of philosophy Imo and I'm excited about it.

We might not have those guys yet since Schiano just took over and has had 1 draft but in time we will see the roster move towards his vision. We cant assume that he has what he needs to succeed just yet. Hopefully its not a bunch of personnel change when its all said and done.

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
« #22 : July 09, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »

Quote from: Dolorous Jason
My prediction: Sullivan will look like a genius , and Sheridan will become a goat of the fans.

As usual , it will NOT be a coincidence that the offense is loaded with talent and the defense is devoid of it , but so it goes for a coach in the NFL.

I'll beat that goat to death if our defense looks like it did this past season.

I don't think we will need to lace up our goat kickin boots right away but after the season goes on and we develop some inevitable injuries Sheridan will become the whipping post.  I am sure the Glazers and DOM are going to give him a longer leash than usual because this Defense is still going to be a work in progress for the next two years and rightfully so.  It is going to need 2 more high draft picks/FA signings at DT and some solid picks/FA signings at DB, as well as, LB & DE........Hell that covers the whole Defense!!!  Yes we need depth and starters at nearly every position but after the additions this off season we must be better than that nightmare last year.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #23 : August 09, 2012, 08:08:27 AM »

The preseason is among us fans. What are you expecting? A conservative offensive and defensive scheme or aggressive? I am actually looking forward to seeing the OC and DC playcalling as much as the new additions to the team.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #24 : August 09, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »

Conservative. Always conservative in the preseason. Maybe a little aggressive on D.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #25 : August 09, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »

What about during the season?

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #26 : August 09, 2012, 08:17:27 AM »

Quote from: BucfanNC12
What about during the season?
Honestly, I'm hoping our offense comes out conservative to start the season. Such a bad taste in my mouth after our season opener last year. Coach Olson (GiGi), no reason to abandon the run as early as we did. We should have won that game. And I'm not expecting a lot of wild formations ie; Amoeba defense as it was referred. We may see some 3-3-5 depending, but I'm thinking more Nickel (4-2-5) and variants of the 4-3 (over, under, and base). I'm hoping Barron gives us a strong 8 man front like we used to have with Lynch!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #27 : August 09, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »

I think the biggest difference in defense between what we have seen for almost two decades and what we should see now, isn't about formations, but rather the general philosophy that instead of staying back and keeping everything in front of you, we are going to be moving downhill from the snap of the ball and attacking. It should look noticeably different and it could be ugly at first, but I believe it is the right direction and we'll get there. Fans are likely going to need to show some patience though.

Draft Aaron Donald

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #28 : August 09, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »

Thankfully, we finally have a coach who lets the players get after it. I mean, finally for the first time since last season.

Quote from: Scott Reynolds
Although the Buccaneers have sequestered new defensive line coaches Keith Millard and Grady Stretz from the media since their arrival in Tampa Bay, PewterReport.com has spoken to a number of the team’s defensive linemen this offseason and have been tipped off about a dramatic difference in the style of play regarding that unit this year. In conversations with defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Roy Miller, and defensive ends Michael Bennett, Kyle Moore, Tim Crowder and Stylez G. White, those veteran lineman have pulled no punches in their excitement about playing more of a penetrating style of play in their gaps instead of the read-and-react style of play under former defensive line coach Todd Wash.

While no player has thrown Wash under the bus on or off the record, the defensive linemen PewterReport.com has spoken with have absolutely gushed about their brief conversations prior to the lockout with Millard and Stretz and the return to the way that Rod Marinelli used to coach the unit, which was to stop the run on the way to the quarterback.

“Stop the run on the way to the quarterback” was Marinelli’s famous mantra in Tampa Bay during his tenure from 1996-2005, and was the perfect way to describe his desire for his defensive linemen to attack the gap, penetrate the line of scrimmage and be disruptive in the backfield.

When asked to describe Wash’s coaching style, the players told PewterReport.com that his philosophy was more about clogging and controlling the gap than penetration. They also indicated that Wash was big on his linemen staying in their gaps and was too focused on maintaining gap integrity rather than turning the defensive linemen loose to make plays outside of their gap. That was the style of play that former defensive coordinator Jim Bates wanted, but there were some real philosophical differences between the way Wash coached the position and what head coach and new defensive coordinator Raheem Morris wanted over the last year.

When Wash’s contract was up, there were conflicting reports about whether the Bucs really wanted him back or not. He was supposedly offered a contract extension, and allegedly turned it down to go to Seattle to work again with former Bucs linebackers coach Gus Bradley, who is the Seahawks defensive coordinator. Did the Bucs purposefully low-ball Wash, knowing that he would turn down their offer, which may have been simply done out of courtesy? Who knows?

But everyone associated with the defense that PewterReport.com has spoken with has welcomed Millard and Stretz with open arms and is excited about the change in philosophical approach that they will bring to the table, which is more akin to that of Marinelli. One current member of the organization told PewterReport.com this offseason, “With the new talent, new coaches and the way we are going to play this year along the defensive line, you’ll see a dramatic improvement from Day One. Sacks will be up and I think we’ll lead the league in interceptions, too.”

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=7008

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #29 : August 09, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »

We have impact players on offense and on defense. From all reports some players (Q. Black, M. Lewis) that were considered weak links are turning it around. Foster is getting more comfortable. Barron and David have performed as expected. It's getting harder to pinpoint weaknesses in the defense. Defense was my major concern coming in to TC. Coaching has made a difference in my mind. The players are more confident because they know their assignments. They quit last year because they weren't sure of what they were supposed to do. The roster and the depth chart still have to be sorted out, and there's more to learn in the playbook, but the focus is there. This team will be prepared. Teams with more experience still have an advantage, but the Bucs won't get beat because they quit. I expect we'll have a top 15 defense this year.

I know we in great at G but Zuttah and both Ts are a concern for me. If anyone can ease that concern, it's Bostad, but I have to be shown on that. Still I believe the Bucs are easily a top 10 offense.

Our team has talent. Obviously I also believe we have the right coaches.

Schiano has said the fins game is to evaluate the players. In other words, winning the game is secondary.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How do you fans think our new OC and DC will do? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools