Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's only a matter of time until we see the end of stadium football. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 09, 2012, 09:51:01 AM

Middle incomed families USED to be $50-100K.  It is currently half of that now.  I just don't understand why this fact eludes those who think cost is not an major stumbling block.  Wake up!

Also, the hot weather at 1pm in the afternoon is the other factor when in competition with home viewing....I love the gift of the club seats last year.  Give me club seats and I will go to every game when the prices are much much lower including concessions.  I cannot afford anything right now, so I'd have to get one of those $50K jobs that are just laying around....oh wait!  The funds for those hires are accumulating interest in the coffers of corporate america to the tune of $1 trillion because they are NOT hiring and are NOT paying those wages of yore because there is a glut on the supply of qualified workers who are willing to work for anything to survive without benefits and on weekends.   

NFL football is becoming victim of its own success and it will be fun watching the humbling of God (dell) as he faces the new demographic realities of the economy, technology and a new generation of tech savvy and preferenced kids who are used to sitting on their couches and flicking switches.....the NFL's gravy days are waning  OH and add the effect of all the concussion law suits trying to cash in on the NFL fatcat.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 09, 2012, 10:04:22 AM

Simple solution......$10.00 seating.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#17 : July 09, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

And free parking.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 09, 2012, 10:28:55 AM

It's not about comfort , it's not about Hi-Def , it's not about replays , and it's not about extra ammenities ......it's PRICE. Price Price Price.

Want to fill stadiums ? Lower the prices. Period. The bottom line is the NFL has priced itself right out of the Middle Class.

Middle class is what...50-100K/year? You can get decent tickets for $70/pop, $15 of concessions, $5 for parking(if you know where to)...adding up to a shocking $720~ year for 8 home games. Less than a 50th of a middle class person's income.

Sorry, but going to a game really isn't that expensive unless you plan to sit in the first row , at the 50 yard line every single game.

First of all, you haven't got a clue as to what "the middle class" make...  Follow along...

Christ...  You have to travel to Seminole county to find the near "average" over $50K per year.  So, get a grip on area economics before you profess how "cheap" it is for fans to attend games.

Then...........  $70 bucks won't often get you below the second level, unless of course you like low "end zone views".

$15 for concessions...?  $15 won't buy you a damned hot dog and a brew.  It won't even cover TWO beers....  $15...?  When was the last game you actually went to?

"$5 for parking (if you know where to)"...?  Really...?  Where...?  Unless you've got a friend, who lives next to the stadium, and you're cool with trusting that 'Mookie' won't let your stereo or rims get boosted..........  Get real.

And the method you describe is exactly what I referred to in another thread as...  "Going on the cheap"

How are fans supposed to be enticed to attend a game, just to sweat their asses off, not have enough money to afford a second beer (when the cost of ONE beer at the stadium costs more than sticking a six-pack in your fridge), park their cars at Mookie's crib (there's not a "safe" area anywhere near the stadium - the area's a crap-hole), and enjoy the entire process when it costs LESS to sit on your couch...?

And all that "going on the cheap" costs a helluva a lot more than kicking back in A/C, grabbing a $1.50 beer from your own fridge, and enjoying the game in actual "comfort"...

Welcome back from Fantasy Land...

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 09, 2012, 10:35:07 AM

It's not about comfort , it's not about Hi-Def , it's not about replays , and it's not about extra ammenities ......it's PRICE. Price Price Price.

Want to fill stadiums ? Lower the prices. Period. The bottom line is the NFL has priced itself right out of the Middle Class.

Middle class is what...50-100K/year? You can get decent tickets for $70/pop, $15 of concessions, $5 for parking(if you know where to)...adding up to a shocking $720~ year for 8 home games. Less than a 50th of a middle class person's income.

Sorry, but going to a game really isn't that expensive unless you plan to sit in the first row , at the 50 yard line every single game.

First let me say I completely disagree with the article and as usual with BucsFTW. Teams that truly contend will always sell out, People want to see a winner, and there is nothing like sharing in the excitement of a truly big game with 70,000 people. Fans love football, many more than anything else, and when they truly believe in their team they will gladly both pay and sweat their ass off.

Now in response to your post Jason, I do agree, but I also know their are only a few fans who know how to this and it has only worked because the product has been sub-par. Owners need to come off their high horses on what fans should pay for their product, realize when their product is not grade A, and be more will to adjust their prices accordingly.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 09, 2012, 10:44:49 AM

Middle incomed families USED to be $50-100K.  It is currently half of that now.  I just don't understand why this fact eludes those who think cost is not an major stumbling block.  Wake up!

Also, the hot weather at 1pm in the afternoon is the other factor when in competition with home viewing....I love the gift of the club seats last year.  Give me club seats and I will go to every game when the prices are much much lower including concessions.  I cannot afford anything right now, so I'd have to get one of those $50K jobs that are just laying around....oh wait!  The funds for those hires are accumulating interest in the coffers of corporate america to the tune of $1 trillion because they are NOT hiring and are NOT paying those wages of yore because there is a glut on the supply of qualified workers who are willing to work for anything to survive without benefits and on weekends.   

NFL football is becoming victim of its own success and it will be fun watching the humbling of God (dell) as he faces the new demographic realities of the economy, technology and a new generation of tech savvy and preferenced kids who are used to sitting on their couches and flicking switches.....the NFL's gravy days are waning  OH and add the effect of all the concussion law suits trying to cash in on the NFL fatcat.

C'mon Lazy...  Get up off your couch and go down to the street corner on Dale Mabry...  Hike up that sexy sweet little mini...  And hoot and holler at cars as they roll by, looking for your next 'John'...!

Because THAT is where the only $50K+ per year jobs are at...!  1993 called and said it want its economy back.

And your point on the "younger generation" could be no closer to the truth...  **waves fist screaming "Get off my lawn"**  Truth be told - I don't blame them...  Hell - I had a "younger poster" (who was extremely tech-savvy) teach me how to get my internet feed to my 50" HD TV.  My biggest issue was keeping a wireless mouse handy to "close ads" (which won't be an issue this season).

The NFL realizes it built the monster that's now kick it's own ass...!

spartan

Hall of Famer
#21 : July 09, 2012, 10:46:57 AM

What the article and some posters forget is that the stadium experience is what makes the home experience so enjoyable. Without a crowd to rile up the players and set the atmosphere you may as well be watching a scrimmage. Who's going to pay billions in advertising for that?

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 09, 2012, 11:20:25 AM

First let me say I completely disagree with the article and as usual with BucsFTW. Teams that truly contend will always sell out, People want to see a winner, and there is nothing like sharing in the excitement of a truly big game with 70,000 people. Fans love football, many more than anything else, and when they truly believe in their team they will gladly both pay and sweat their ass off.

Now in response to your post Jason, I do agree, but I also know their are only a few fans who know how to this and it has only worked because the product has been sub-par. Owners need to come off their high horses on what fans should pay for their product, realize when their product is not grade A, and be more will to adjust their prices accordingly.

Tell us BB...  What do you disagree with?  Median Income?

Hate to tell ya, but...  When a multi-billion dollar per year makes statements like this:

"...unprecedented measures the National Football League has announced it will employ to bring fans back to the stadium to watch games."

What's to disagree with...?  That's a statement from the NFL...  Not a persoanl opinion.

They're not rying to KEEP them in the stadium...  They're trying to GET THEM BACK.  The baby's already been thrown out with the bath water!

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 09, 2012, 11:21:17 AM

What the article and some posters forget is that the stadium experience is what makes the home experience so enjoyable. Without a crowd to rile up the players and set the atmosphere you may as well be watching a scrimmage. Who's going to pay billions in advertising for that?

Atmosphere can (and will) be artificially created...     

Players will be riled up with $$$

It'll happen...  and in our lifetime I'd imagine.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 09, 2012, 11:50:04 AM

Eggggggg-Zactly...!

Why do you think they let people in free to The Price is Right, right down to Jerry Springer...?  Right...?

Because...  without throngs of people to make the whole "home experience" a pleasure - the NFL would be NOTHING.  And they know it.

It starts with softening blackout rules.

Then it goes to lowered ticket prices (see: Jets reduce price on 12 THOUSAND seats).

So what's next...?  Inevitably, the NFL is going to get to the point where they'll glady let you in the game for FREE...  IF you'll still spend money for parking and consessions.  And after that - what's next...?  Reduced prices on parking and consessions...  Followed closely by FREE parking and reduced consession prices.  Next logical step...?

FREE EVERYTHING.  They can't have the richest TV contract in history without rumps in seats.  Period.  So...  Looking at the logical progression of order, what's the most important thing the NFL booth NEEDS, and DESIRES...?

Fans attending the games, so the "home product" does not suffer.  It's only logical...

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 09, 2012, 11:54:42 AM

Money already drives the players, so there's no disputing that Melon...  But TV audiences, and the public in general, won't buy into "canned cheering" from the "crowd" that doesn't exist.

Might work on TV sitcoms, but live sporting events need LIVE fans to create the atmosphere.

I can see all the changes I've described happening in our lifetime, but I just don't see "the public" buying into artificially created "fans".

Hate

Hall of Famer
#26 : July 09, 2012, 12:45:59 PM

I beg to differ, I don't think anything beats the stadium experience.

I rather go to a game any day of the week than sit at home and watch a bunch of idiots talk for four hours. Maybe that's just me being a hardcore sports fan...but **CENSORED** TV.

Completely agree!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 09, 2012, 12:52:31 PM

Money already drives the players, so there's no disputing that Melon...  But TV audiences, and the public in general, won't buy into "canned cheering" from the "crowd" that doesn't exist.

Might work on TV sitcoms, but live sporting events need LIVE fans to create the atmosphere.

I can see all the changes I've described happening in our lifetime, but I just don't see "the public" buying into artificially created "fans".

Ya missed my point...   in other words - 'Atmosphere' (which we currently consider fans at games and everything that goes with it) will eventually be replaced with something else to garner the fans interest in watching the sport.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#28 : July 09, 2012, 12:56:35 PM

I rather go to a game any day of the week than sit at home and watch a bunch of idiots talk for four hours. Maybe that's just me being a hardcore sports fan...but **CENSORED** TV.

Completely agree!!

+1
I've been reading and commenting on another post about "All time favorite plays seen live". It really hits home how great it is to be there "Live" and how many great memories you get from being there.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 09, 2012, 03:18:39 PM

Completely agree!!

Yeah...  If BFT had stopped...  where your "edit" did...  I'd be in COMPLETE agreement.

Probably what brought about Rule 17, section 8, paragraphs 3 & 4 of the "Rules & Regs for Watching Football at FTW's House"...  (And, knowing I'm not allowed to type too much, I'll paraphrase)

From paragraph 3:  "......not bad man. Sandwiches are up there... grab a beer & catch a seat..."

From paragraph 4:  "......STFU..."

The bitter half knows...  Come game time, never talk if there's not a commercial on.  And...

There's ALWAYS a commercial on.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's only a matter of time until we see the end of stadium football. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools