Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's only a matter of time until we see the end of stadium football. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 09, 2012, 03:37:06 PM

I beg to differ, I don't think anything beats the stadium experience.

I rather go to a game any day of the week than sit at home and watch a bunch of idiots talk for four hours. Maybe that's just me being a hardcore sports fan...but **CENSORED** TV.

Completely agree!!

I agree to, but what everyone has to remember is this board may be filled with hardcore fans, but stadiums are not.  There are not enough "hardcore fans" so the stadium (at current price points) is filled with marginal fans, fans who buy tickets for the entertainment value rather than out of diehard allegiance to a team or the sport. 

The live game will never disapper, but it will change. The NFL will go pay per view and live tickets will be a loss leader or they will change to smaller stadiums or go the other direction with stadiums like the one in Dallas where the stadium is the attraction as much as the game.  The only problem with this approach is that it will only work in the largest markets.  (this is why London/Europe is a place of interest).  NFL money is TV money, at least for now. Maybe with an economic rebound all the talk of the demise of live NFL will subside, but I doubt it because the actual game has been transformed to the detriment of live attendance through commerical breaks and an emphasis on replay etc. The pricing only exacerbates the problem, proof of this is that league attendance has fallen since 2007 EVEN in markets that are not hit as hard as Tampa Bay.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

SpeedyClaxton

Starter

#31 : July 09, 2012, 03:48:45 PM

It's not about comfort , it's not about Hi-Def , it's not about replays , and it's not about extra ammenities ......it's PRICE. Price Price Price.

Want to fill stadiums ? Lower the prices. Period. The bottom line is the NFL has priced itself right out of the Middle Class.

Middle class is what...50-100K/year? You can get decent tickets for $70/pop, $15 of concessions, $5 for parking(if you know where to)...adding up to a shocking $720~ year for 8 home games. Less than a 50th of a middle class person's income.

Sorry, but going to a game really isn't that expensive unless you plan to sit in the first row, at the 50 yard line every single game.

So let me get this straight. I get an upper level ticket for $70........ $15 for concessions I hope your freaking kidding, that gets you one hotdog and a beer. $5 parking maybe if I want to walk 35 minutes......

We shut down \\\\\\\" The Vet\\\\\\\" and we opened up Lincoln Financial with a bang!!!!

SpeedyClaxton

Starter

#32 : July 09, 2012, 03:53:39 PM

It's not about comfort , it's not about Hi-Def , it's not about replays , and it's not about extra ammenities ......it's PRICE. Price Price Price.

Want to fill stadiums ? Lower the prices. Period. The bottom line is the NFL has priced itself right out of the Middle Class.

Middle class is what...50-100K/year? You can get decent tickets for $70/pop, $15 of concessions, $5 for parking(if you know where to)...adding up to a shocking $720~ year for 8 home games. Less than a 50th of a middle class person's income.

Sorry, but going to a game really isn't that expensive unless you plan to sit in the first row, at the 50 yard line every single game.

So let me get this straight. I get an upper level ticket for $70........ $15 for concessions I hope your freaking kidding, that gets you one hotdog and a beer. $5 parking maybe if I want to walk 35 minutes......

-I'd rather have somewhat decent seats.....theres $90
-I'd like to drink a couple beers at $9 a piece theres $27
-I'd like one burger and one thing of fries....theres $19
- I'd like to park within reasonable walking distance...theres $15 if you get seriously lucky and you still have to walk quite a ways. If your old that sucks.

Hey did I mention I want to bring my wife and my son.......

We shut down \\\\\\\" The Vet\\\\\\\" and we opened up Lincoln Financial with a bang!!!!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 09, 2012, 05:23:52 PM

Christ...  You have to travel to Seminole county to find the near "average" over $50K per year.  So, get a grip on area economics before you profess how "cheap" it is for fans to attend games.

Then...........  $70 bucks won't often get you below the second level, unless of course you like low "end zone views".

$15 for concessions...?  $15 won't buy you a damned hot dog and a brew.  It won't even cover TWO beers....  $15...?  When was the last game you actually went to?

"$5 for parking (if you know where to)"...?  Really...?  Where...?  Unless you've got a friend, who lives next to the stadium, and you're cool with trusting that 'Mookie' won't let your stereo or rims get boosted..........  Get real.

And the method you describe is exactly what I referred to in another thread as...  "Going on the cheap"

How are fans supposed to be enticed to attend a game, just to sweat their asses off, not have enough money to afford a second beer (when the cost of ONE beer at the stadium costs more than sticking a six-pack in your fridge), park their cars at Mookie's crib (there's not a "safe" area anywhere near the stadium - the area's a crap-hole), and enjoy the entire process when it costs LESS to sit on your couch...?

And all that "going on the cheap" costs a helluva a lot more than kicking back in A/C, grabbing a $1.50 beer from your own fridge, and enjoying the game in actual "comfort"...

Welcome back from Fantasy Land...

For me, nothing beats being in the stadium.... i guess being a football junkie might be contributing to that factor. Some choose to spend waaay more than that on gambling, bar-hopping, cigarettes or other "habits". Thats their choice. As for the heat.... this IS Florida, it didn't just start getting hot. As for the cost, I buy my ticket..... and that's it. Splurging on the over-priced beer and concessions is a choice... not an obligation.

Lastly.... its no longer "Mookie", its "Miguel".
: July 09, 2012, 05:25:34 PM Hate

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 09, 2012, 06:36:24 PM

Saying that the end of the football stadium is around the corner reminds me of the analogy of when QVC/HSN and the internet shopping experience came along. It was all doom and gloom for the malls, no more bricks, just clicks. So let me ask you, is your wife/girlfriend/significant other  still shopping til she drops and spending all of your money? I think so. How's that working out for you? That said, the mall retail experience had to change and the stadiums will too. I agree with some of the points made earlier, tons of technology, much cheaper prices across the board, creature comforts, etc. will keep the stadiums full. Migrating the NFL revenues to PPV, on line clicks, cell phones. tablets, international markets, etc will more than make up for cheaper gross receipts at the gate. JMHO!

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#35 : July 09, 2012, 07:20:20 PM

One is not less of a fan if he doesn't enjoy the stadium experience.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 09, 2012, 07:25:47 PM

This is just lame. Yes "one" is less of a fan.. You don't enjoy seeing the team you say you follow in person.. WHAT IS THERE NOT TO ENJOY?! The heat? It's Florida!!!!!

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 09, 2012, 09:32:34 PM

It's an interesting topic, and I agree with those saying stadiums will be downsized in the future.  Right now the league is double dipping, with TV revenue and ticket sales for the teams. I would guess in the future as ticket sales start to decrease like they already have, they will concentrate on the TV revenue portion.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 09, 2012, 11:04:00 PM

I beg to differ, I don't think anything beats the stadium experience.

I rather go to a game any day of the week than sit at home and watch a bunch of idiots talk for four hours. Maybe that's just me being a hardcore sports fan...but **CENSORED** TV.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

cgnumber7

Starter

#39 : July 10, 2012, 12:08:28 AM

This is just lame. Yes "one" is less of a fan.. You don't enjoy seeing the team you say you follow in person.. WHAT IS THERE NOT TO ENJOY?! The heat? It's Florida!!!!!

Not all fans can enjoy the stadium experience,  I'm a diehard Buc fan but I live in Texas.  The only Buc games I've ever been to have been in Houston or Dallas.  Don't get me wrong, because I love getting to see the Bucs in person when I get the chance but it is definitely a pain to get to the games with having to travel, get hotel, parking, then be outnumbered 10000 to one in a stadium full of crazies.  However, I never miss a down of Bucs football no matter how bad they are.  it's definitely easier, cheaper, safer, and sometimes more enjoyable to watch the games on the sunday ticket because that is really the only time I ever get to hear any commentators talk about my my team and not the stupid cowboys.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 10, 2012, 12:33:16 AM

Not all fans can enjoy the stadium experience,  I'm a diehard Buc fan but I live in Texas.  The only Buc games I've ever been to have been in Houston or Dallas.  Don't get me wrong, because I love getting to see the Bucs in person when I get the chance but it is definitely a pain to get to the games with having to travel, get hotel, parking, then be outnumbered 10000 to one in a stadium full of crazies.  However, I never miss a down of Bucs football no matter how bad they are.  it's definitely easier, cheaper, safer, and sometimes more enjoyable to watch the games on the sunday ticket because that is really the only time I ever get to hear any commentators talk about my my team and not the stupid cowboys.

youve probably been to more bucs games(even if in texas) than half the people in Tampa.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 10, 2012, 12:46:35 AM

Christ...  You have to travel to Seminole county to find the near "average" over $50K per year.  So, get a grip on area economics before you profess how "cheap" it is for fans to attend games.

Then...........  $70 bucks won't often get you below the second level, unless of course you like low "end zone views".

$15 for concessions...?  $15 won't buy you a damned hot dog and a brew.  It won't even cover TWO beers....  $15...?  When was the last game you actually went to?

"$5 for parking (if you know where to)"...?  Really...?  Where...?  Unless you've got a friend, who lives next to the stadium, and you're cool with trusting that 'Mookie' won't let your stereo or rims get boosted..........  Get real.

And the method you describe is exactly what I referred to in another thread as...  "Going on the cheap"

How are fans supposed to be enticed to attend a game, just to sweat their asses off, not have enough money to afford a second beer (when the cost of ONE beer at the stadium costs more than sticking a six-pack in your fridge), park their cars at Mookie's crib (there's not a "safe" area anywhere near the stadium - the area's a crap-hole), and enjoy the entire process when it costs LESS to sit on your couch...?

And all that "going on the cheap" costs a helluva a lot more than kicking back in A/C, grabbing a $1.50 beer from your own fridge, and enjoying the game in actual "comfort"...

Welcome back from Fantasy Land...

For me, nothing beats being in the stadium.... i guess being a football junkie might be contributing to that factor. Some choose to spend waaay more than that on gambling, bar-hopping, cigarettes or other "habits". Thats their choice. As for the heat.... this IS Florida, it didn't just start getting hot. As for the cost, I buy my ticket..... and that's it. Splurging on the over-priced beer and concessions is a choice... not an obligation.

LMFAO....  I'll be Bach...

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 10, 2012, 12:58:50 AM

youve probably been to more bucs games(even if in texas) than half the people in Tampa.

Thanks...  Sippin' on one of those cold Starbucks Mocha things, and reading the rest of the thread, just so I don't say something brilliant, and then feel stoopider for having not read it all, and................

I've only done it twice in my life......... but let's just say my keyboard's going to be a little sticky for a couple of days.

Thanks again.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 10, 2012, 01:30:00 AM

Hate, I could not possibly agree with you more.  You think you are?  Football is to me what Cinnabons are to a fat chick.

I will agree with you on the habits.  Thank God I don't have any (allegedly), but that would suck to let something like drinking or gambling or drugs get in the way of anything in life, much less 8 Sundays in the fall watching football.

The heat...  I laugh at that sh!t.  People make such a big deal about the heat.  The day I start biothcin' about the heat is the day I quit golfing...  a day at the beach...  fishing...  going outside...  breathing...

Really.  Heck - I make tee times as close to 1pm as I can.  Just so we're out during the hottest part of the day because the course is dead!

But you're right.  It's definitely a choice.  If I gave up golf, just quit the game - I'd save around $1,800 a year, and that's if I played 50 weekends, so it's more likely $1,400 - $1,500.  But that's enough for a good few games. Heck, I haven't priced season tix for 5 years now.  What are, say, second level - in ANY corner (but preferably next to the ship) running these days? ANYBODY know...?

But I see your point on the "splurge factor"...  When it IS a 'just us guys' trip, we frontload while we're tailgaiting, and only buy 1 beer in each half.  Even that's a $20 spot though.

I'm sorry, did I type too much?

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 10, 2012, 07:25:33 AM

-I'd rather have somewhat decent seats.....theres $90
-I'd like to drink a couple beers at $9 a piece theres $27
-I'd like one burger and one thing of fries....theres $19
- I'd like to park within reasonable walking distance...theres $15 if you get seriously lucky and you still have to walk quite a ways. If your old that sucks.

Hey did I mention I want to bring my wife and my son.......

Your a complete amature if you even have to pay that much for club tickets. Also whats forcing you to eat during 3 half hours? That isnt even necessary if you spend 5 dollar before the game and eat burgers and fries at McDonald's.

And 15 dollars for parking? Unless you want to be in the lot tailgating, that is just lazy. You can't walk under a mile?
: July 10, 2012, 07:33:51 AM tripblood

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's only a matter of time until we see the end of stadium football. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools