Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Supporting New Michael Vick Clothing Line Like Supporting Dog Fighting? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 11, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »

Is Supporting New Michael Vick Clothing Line Like Supporting Dog Fighting?

July 11, 2012   

By Rob Kelley

Michael Vick is launching a new clothing line called V7 that will be sold exclusively at East Coast sporting goods shop Modell’s. The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback has had little trouble getting back into the endorsement game, even after being jailed for participating in illegal dog fighting a few years back.

But while his sentence cost him a couple of years in the National Football League and plenty of money during that time, Vick has cashed in on a $100 million deal with the Eagles and now has basically picked up exactly where he left off with endorsement deals.

So is all of that a way of saying that dog fighting is alright, as long as you promise not to do it again?

Vick spent 18 months in federal prison after being convicted of bankrolling a dogfighting ring. Yes, he served his time, but look at him now. I know that people should be given second chances, but does that mean we have to support them?

Especially, to this extent with this much money and wealth?

I will say that Vick has worked at restoring his public image. He now goes on the road and speaks out against animal cruelty. But does he even care about what he did to all of those poor, helpless, defenseless animals? Or is Vick just doing what his agent tells him in order to continue to be able to secure these huge endorsement deals from companies such as Nike and Muscle Pharm?

Admittedly, I do own some Nike apparel. In a way, I am embarrassed to say that, because of athletes who Nike continues to enlist to endorse them, including Vick and Tiger Woods, who is another athlete who I have absolutely no respect for as a human being. But by giving them these huge contracts and endorsement deals, is that just like saying what they did is alright, as long as they paid for it somehow?

What about the dogs? They were either killed by Vick and his cronies in the fights or later destroyed after being deemed too dangerous because of their training. They will never have the chance to be alright or supported. But creeps such as Vick continue to live their life with independent wealth, and we all make it happen.

So, the question remains, is supporting the new Vick clothing line the same as supporting dog fighting?

It may not exactly be the same, but I can guarantee you all that you will never see me sporting any V7 gear whatsoever.

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2012/07/is-supporting-new-michael-vick-clothing-line-like-supporting-dog-fighting/

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 11, 2012, 10:00:45 PM »

This article is wrong on so many levels. for starters, Vick has done a little more than"promise not to do it again". Starting with going to prison. Then community service and donations. He's spent time, money, and effort to help spread awareness and stop dog fighting. Then lumping in a felon with a guy who cheated on his wife is a reach. But I think the fact that they "paid in some kind of way" does make it things better if not okay. Going to prison and paying 100 million dollars plus losing full custody of your kids isn't some slap on the risk. Nike endorses 2 guys who has paid there debt to society. That doesn't mean what they did was okay. If that was the case Nike wouldn't have dropped them in the first place and they wouldn't have faced the penalties that they faced legally.

cryptfiend

Starter

« #2 : July 11, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »

I'm guessing Rob Kelley is a perfect individual who has never done anything wrong in his entire life.  He has never gone a single mile over the speed limit.  Never told a white lie.  Never reacted in anger towards his children.  Never had impure thoughts about an individual other than his wife.  Never missed a deadline.  Never scored less than perfect on any form of evaluation in his life.

My god, isn't it wonderful that we have the honor of reading the words and thoughts of such a perfect individual, who can look down on the common folk and condemn them for their mistakes?  We sure are a lucky audience.

The reality of the situation is this: Vick paid his debt to society.  He did what was required of him of society.  If you feel it isn't enough, and you feel the need to be prejudiced against the guy a bit more...get into law and make a motion to change the laws such that convicted dog fighters are required to do more before they are reintegrated into society.  As it is, he should not be treated any different from any other citizen until he does something else wrong.  If you don't like who he is...fine.  Don't buy his clothes.  Don't say that you won't buy his clothes because of his dog fighting past.  The man did what was required of him to put that in the past.  Let it be in the past.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #3 : July 11, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »

For one, Vick got a harsh punishment for the dog fighting. He did more prison time than many do for far worse crimes against humans. He has paid his debt.

Secondly, he has been a model citizen and a changed man ever since. He seems to have truly grown up.

Lastly, anyone who still holds his past against him and acts as though he is unforgivable....is a hypocritical dumbass who likes to point the finger but certainly can't see their own faults.

JoshMcCrownUs

Starter

« #4 : July 11, 2012, 11:45:34 PM »

Equating buying vick's apparel to a tacit support for dogfighting is overly simplistic. It's a personal choice whether or not u think vick has paid his debt, and obviosuly u can chose not to be personally associated with him by not buyng his product. But to say that those that do are in fact supporting dogfighting is just plain dumb, even if you sugarcoat it by adding throway lines like "i know everybody deserves a second chance, but.."

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 12, 2012, 12:00:43 AM »

Fug Mke Vick.  I love it when he fails.

Ron Mexico.  Why the hell should I root for this clown?

He paid his dues, but I HATED him before he was caught.  Why should I change my stance?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #6 : July 12, 2012, 12:18:22 AM »

He paid his dues, but I HATED him before he was caught.  Why should I change my stance?

Geez man. I too "HATED" the guy.... but that was because he was a Falcon. Now, not so much!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 12, 2012, 01:43:43 AM »

For one, Vick got a harsh punishment for the dog fighting. He did more prison time than many do for far worse crimes against humans. He has paid his debt.

Secondly, he has been a model citizen and a changed man ever since. He seems to have truly grown up.

Lastly, anyone who still holds his past against him and acts as though he is unforgivable....is a hypocritical dumbass who likes to point the finger but certainly can't see their own faults.

i disagree. His punishment wasnt that harsh at all when you consider it wasnt just dog fighting. There was the illegal gambling and he could of been nailed with running an organized crime ring. 2 years for those violations isnt that much when you consider there are people in prison for 5+ years for simply possessing marijuana.

I do agree however that he seems to have changed.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #8 : July 12, 2012, 02:27:08 AM »

Geez man. I too "HATED" the guy.... but that was because he was a Falcon. Now, not so much!!
Says the man who "hates da eagles". How soon we fuhgetabboutit.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 12, 2012, 08:03:25 AM »

Not unless the clothing is made with dead dog pelts , and the profits used to raise new fighting dogs.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #10 : July 12, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »

There are two types of teams filled with A-holes. There is the Falcons... and there are the Eagles.

I actually think owning a clothing line does quite the opposite. Call it a step in the right direction... we all know he takes plenty in the wrong on gameday.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 12, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »

Not unless the clothing is made with dead dog pelts , and the profits used to raise new fighting dogs.

It's rare.....but I have to +1 a Doloris post.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 12, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »

You bleeding hearts can put all the polish you want on that turd, but it aint foolin' me.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 12, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »

You have to use the good stuff...

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 12, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »

Its crazy. I see more sympathy and logical explanations for Paterno and Penn States Administration than I do Vick and his dog fighting.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Supporting New Michael Vick Clothing Line Like Supporting Dog Fighting? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools