Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How would you defend Newton? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

: July 17, 2012, 11:56:46 AM

There are many schools of thought, in my day a running threat QB was best defended with containment and an understanding not to overpursue. I was a 3-4 OLB, and taught to line up a few yards outside the TE or tackle, rush straight up field, then make a 90 degree cut in toward the QB to ensure he didn't get outside. This was our standard containment rush. We have seen In our past the spy method: Brooks and Vick come to mind. Staying 5 yards behind the line and tracking every movement, but applying 0 pressure. Now it has been brought up a few times applying direct pressure via a blitz, David, or maybe safety might the solution in the new defense.

If we can generate a pass rush with the front four, I'm predicting seeing David in more of a spy role rather than attacking. But if the DLine plays like they did last year we will be manufacturing pressure and David, Barron, and Barber will have to set up camp in the backfield.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 17, 2012, 01:09:27 PM

Run the ball every play for 3.34 yards per rush so each drive takes 18 minutes and Newton is on the bench.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#2 : July 17, 2012, 01:16:33 PM

Run the ball every play for 3.34 yards per rush so each drive takes 18 minutes and Newton is on the bench.

Can I get a cloud of dust with that?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#3 : July 17, 2012, 01:17:48 PM

Well Blount averages 4.7, might have to slow his roll....

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#4 : July 17, 2012, 01:19:16 PM

Exactly! One of the best ways to beat him is to keep him off the field.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 17, 2012, 01:23:24 PM

There is a lot of film on him now. So I might suggest that he will be played differently this year.

I don't think we will see the same success he had last year.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 17, 2012, 01:36:39 PM

Put 300 pounds on him a few times

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 17, 2012, 01:51:39 PM

I would assign Derrick Brooks to spy on him.

usmc-buc

Pro Bowler
#8 : July 17, 2012, 01:52:18 PM

Can I get a cloud of dust with that?

4 yards and a cloud of dust theory ended about a decade ago. It just flat out doesn't work any more. All your doing in shortening the game for both sides and the better offensive team will win at the end more often then not.

Peyton Manning's colts had the fewest offensive possessions of any team during his run in the 2000's because other teams used this philosophy against them. Peyton Manning's colts had the best winning percentage during that same time period.

The way to beat Cam Newton is to put pressure on him, hit, him tackle him when you get to him. This will lead to poor decision making and hopefully turn overs.

Part II is to score a freaking touch down or two early in the game as to not fall behind. Outside of giving up lots of early touchdowns last year, our biggest problem was never scoring early touchdown for ourselves.

You have to score and score early especially against offensive Freaks.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 17, 2012, 01:53:24 PM

Or the big cheetah.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

usmc-buc

Pro Bowler
#10 : July 17, 2012, 02:03:29 PM

Or the big cheetah.

That did work for Vick. SHUT HIM DOWN

Boriqua

Starter
#11 : July 17, 2012, 02:05:34 PM

Pressure, pressure, pressure. I can't be said enough!

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 17, 2012, 03:11:37 PM

Get the Saints to put a bounty on him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 17, 2012, 03:26:48 PM

Lavonte David or Mark Barron should be QB Spy every play. David will wrap him up and limit his ground game. Barron will knock the sh!t out of him.

Draft Aaron Donald

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 17, 2012, 03:39:54 PM

Lavonte David or Mark Barron should be QB Spy every play. David will wrap him up and limit his ground game. Barron will knock the sh!t out of him.
Newton has close to 40 lbs on Barron. I'm not sure how much excrement would be removed from him on such a hit. He'd probably just get right up.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How would you defend Newton? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools