Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How would you defend Newton? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 17, 2012, 03:46:20 PM

I don't care if you are 7ft and 300lbs....when an athletic 6'1" 215lbs man hits you, you feel it. Barron knows how to lay the wood.

Also, Barron is about the same exact size as John Lynch was. Are you suggesting Newton is too big  for Lynch to clean his clock? It's not about size. It's about technique.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 17, 2012, 03:46:41 PM

There is a lot of film on him now. So I might suggest that he will be played differently this year.

I don't think we will see the same success he had last year.

I don't see why he wouldn't. He has Steve Smith and an excellent 2 RB combo with Stewart and Williams.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : July 17, 2012, 03:52:27 PM

I think Joe Adams is going to be huge for that offense right away.

The first few posters had it right. Run, run, run and keep their offense on the bench. That's the best way to win.

McCoy93

Starter

#18 : July 17, 2012, 03:54:12 PM

our defense wont stop newton the best we can hope for is too contain newton. Our offense has to help us out by keeping him off the field with long sustaining drives

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 17, 2012, 03:55:12 PM

I don't care if you are 7ft and 300lbs....when an athletic 6'1" 215lbs man hits you, you feel it. Barron knows how to lay the wood.

Also, Barron is about the same exact size as John Lynch was. Are you suggesting Newton is too big  for Lynch to clean his clock? It's not about size. It's about technique.
I'd prefer Adrian Clayborn to be the one hitting Newton and Barron worry about Steve Smith. If we're having to send Barron, it will mean the guys up front aren't getting it done, which will be bad.
: July 17, 2012, 03:58:08 PM Feel Real Good

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#20 : July 17, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

I think you have to come out of the gate and be aggressive as hell on offense and get up on the Panthers, and make Cam Newton try to beat you with his arm. 

You look at his stats from last year, sure, he comes out the gate with two 400 yard performances in Week 1 and Week 2 (including 3 picks in the second game), but the rest of the year, his passing yards look pretty pedestrian, especially during the second half of the season.

If you look at some of the games where he has to throw 35-40 times, and that's where you see the 2, 3, 4 interception games show up for him.

The more Cam Newton has to sit in the pocket and play the prototypical quarterback role, the more likely he is to make an errant decisions or throws.

So we leave Lavonte on the spy to eliminate his scrambling.  Keep Barron in the box to help stop the run, and force Newton to try to be Tom Brady.
(anybody remember Barron vs Newton in that title game?  Barron got beat bad on two play actions, I say we keep Barron away from Newton and let him hurt him unexpectedly, instead of assigning him 1v1.)

This all goes under the pretense that we effectively stop the run.  So I would expect a bunch of 8-9 in the box sets until we get a lead.

And this is all based on the concept of the Buc's being able to put points on the board too...

Lookin forward to these games, should be a great matchup

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : July 17, 2012, 04:00:18 PM

Nothing wrong with using a safety or linebacker to spy a mobile QB. Doesn't mean the front four aren't playing well. Go back and look at some old Buc/Falcon games when the Bucs were the only team that seemed to have Vicks number.

If Barron is covering Steve Smith....then we have problems.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 17, 2012, 04:07:25 PM

Sure, Barron can "spy" him. I was questioning his ability to forcefully remove excrement from him.

Michael Vick is 6'0" on his good days and not much over 200 lbs. His typical spy for the Bucs, Derrick Brooks, had a 20-30 lb advantage. Much different story.

And Barron's job will never be to cover Steve Smith. It will be to hit him really hard half a second after he catches a ball when someone else is covering him.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

lowlife

Starter
#23 : July 17, 2012, 04:07:40 PM

Step 1. Replace Newton's pre game Muscle Milk or whatever dumb **CENSORED** he drinks with a delicious Ipecac and Exlax.
Step 2. Watch the torrent of bodily fluids.
Step 3. Do nothing but get hammered drunk and yell at Foster through the headset while Clausen Clausens the game away.

Lettuce bee cereal tho, I'd play tight man up Cover 1 with Barron in the box as an active rover and Talib shadowing Smith. POUND into Barber's head (with a 2X4 if necessary) not to bite on fakes since those Newton bombs are bound to come. Using Barron to spy mostly, but also blitz on occasion or fake blitz and buzz out for hopefully a turnover or two. Leading up to the game, there would be multiple option drills every day at practice to get the backers and ends assignment sound. On the goal line I'd be tempted to even use my field goal block squad, but really just prep the backers to get ready to jump and meet Newton when he does his typical leap while others fly over and reach in for the strip as he probably attempts to stretch out.

Lastly, pray to Satan all that bull**CENSORED** actually works.

lowlife

Starter
#24 : July 17, 2012, 04:09:32 PM

Oh and an early lead would help.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 17, 2012, 04:56:34 PM

Defensively, disguised zone coverages that will make him hesitate as to run or risk a throw into coverage he's unsure of. AND, sure tackling. Offensively, ball control, BUT ya GOTTA have a potent red-zone offense... With Nicks, I think our red-zone just became FAR more potent, as we should be converting on most short yardage situations, which absolutely have killed too many of our drives in the past..

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 17, 2012, 05:03:54 PM

That's what Mark Barron was drafted so high for.

Also, it's about scoring points. You can't get behind in a match versus the Panthers. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 17, 2012, 05:52:55 PM

Take away his 1st passing option , make him go to a 2nd and 3rd read. Keep him in the pocket. Hit him in the mouth.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucnut2

Practice Squad
#28 : July 17, 2012, 06:36:27 PM

I think Newton may have not be as productive as last year.  Remember there is a years worth of tape on him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : July 17, 2012, 06:39:56 PM

I think Newton may have not be as productive as last year.  Remember there is a years worth of tape on him.

History says he won't have a year anywhere near as good as last year.....but I already discounted him once and he broke all the rules by the amazing year he had as a rookie....so I'm not counting on him having a slump.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How would you defend Newton? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools