Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

bucs449

Hall of Famer

: July 19, 2012, 12:29:51 PM

I saw it last night at a screening and it did not disappoint. It was absolutely epic and unbelievably thrilling.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#1 : July 19, 2012, 05:47:59 PM

Definetly plan on seeing it tomorrow. Hell took a day off work just to see it. Funny how the critics reviews have been all over the place on it.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 19, 2012, 06:13:15 PM

I'll see it on Saturday.

As far as the critics....its sitting at 87% right now on RT....that's still a pretty high rating. 155 fresh, 23 rotten. With an 8.1 out of 10 overall rating.

In comparison, The Dark Knight finished at 94%..with an 8.4 overall rating.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#3 : July 19, 2012, 07:42:48 PM

Gonna be seeing it tomorrow morning.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 20, 2012, 08:50:39 AM

Thoughts and sympathy towards anyone involved.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 20, 2012, 11:51:07 AM

Absolutely unbelievable...  So damned sad.

What is it with Denver....?

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 20, 2012, 11:54:39 AM

This is why every state should have a concealed carry license. Maybe someone could have prevented this.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 20, 2012, 12:17:12 PM

This is why every state should have a concealed carry license. Maybe someone could have prevented this.
Not that I agree with the people who are trying to use this case to suggest tighter gun control laws either (Holmes had a clean record and was clearly really well prepared), but stop and think about that for a second.  It was a crowded theater, dark and filled with smoke and screaming people running every which way.  Say you had three well-intentioned citizens open fire on the guy.  Is there any realistic way that that does *not* end badly?  How the heck do you maintain lines-of-fire or safe zones?  How the heck do the well-intentioned citizens know that other dim shapes that are opening fire on the attacker are doing so and not also going on a rampage?  Frankly, gang-tackling him probably would have been safer.  Not that I blame people for not wanting to rush in to grapple with a heavily-armed, armored psychopath.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 20, 2012, 12:32:10 PM

Fair argument and you do make some good points. I guess that is the risk you would be taking. But if your likely going to die if not, your better off just taking the chance. This probably isn't the best example to use for the concealed carry policy, but certainly some of these tragedies could be prevented or less lives taken with it.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 20, 2012, 12:32:24 PM

I will w/o a doubt be packin' tomorrow when I check it out. Gotta love the CHL.

Sucks sh*t like this happens.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 20, 2012, 12:38:54 PM

Fair argument and you do make some good points. I guess that is the risk you would be taking. But if your likely going to die if not, your better off just taking the chance. This probably isn't the best example to use for the concealed carry policy, but certainly some of these tragedies could be prevented or less lives taken with it.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you overall.  I was definitely just talking about this one, specific case not necessarily being a great candidate.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 20, 2012, 12:49:08 PM

Yeah, I don't disagree with you overall.  I was definitely just talking about this one, specific case not necessarily being a great candidate.

Yea, I agree. In this situation...the "vigilantes" could hit a few bystanders instead of the perp.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#12 : July 20, 2012, 12:58:03 PM

Saw some of the coverage this morning. A female anchor, talking to their on the scene correspondent, said "This has been described as a slaughter. Is everything covered with blood there?" Personally, I often find society's reaction to events like this as disturbing as the shooting. Right now, there are thousands of people scrambling to learn every detail of the shooter's life so they can deliver it to you first. The killer will be celebritized. The victims?

Dylan Klebold.
Name a victim.

What sick ridiculous puppets we are / and what gross little stage we dance on / What fun we have dancing and **CENSORED**ing / Not a care in the world / Not knowing that we are nothing / We are not what was intended.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 20, 2012, 01:01:45 PM

Yea, I agree. In this situation...the "vigilantes" could hit a few bystanders instead of the perp.

As callous as it may sound, a couple of bystanders is a hell lot less than 12 dead and 50 wounded. The reality is that you would wait or attempt to get a clear shot, and if he points at you then the lane is obviously clear.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 20, 2012, 01:35:11 PM

As callous as it may sound, a couple of bystanders is a hell lot less than 12 dead and 50 wounded. The reality is that you would wait or attempt to get a clear shot, and if he points at you then the lane is obviously clear.
A) It was a dark theater that was full of smoke.  Knowing that he's pointing at you would not necessarily have been as trivial as it sounds.  The attacker has a *huge* advantage here in that he has no particular reason to care if his shots go astray, meaning the visibility hampers him far less.  (See: the reports of gunfire pentrating into the next theater over.)
B) He was wearing body armor, so there's no particular guarantee that a single shot would have taken him out.  And if it doesn't, again, huge advantage to the attacker.
C) And again, what happens if there's more than one concerned citizen.  In this specific scenario where visibility is terrible, you hear another person open fire, how the heck do you know that it's someone trying to stop the madness and not another gunman opening fire on the crowd?  I can easily imagine a scenario with multiple gunmen with four weeks of training and no real-world experience where the end result is even worse than what we had.

Again, I'm not suggesting that this tragedy is an indictment on the concept of concealed firearms in general.  I just think that it's a long way from a given that they would have actually done more good than harm in this situation.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools