Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

spartan

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 20, 2012, 01:43:14 PM

Fair argument and you do make some good points. I guess that is the risk you would be taking. But if your likely going to die if not, your better off just taking the chance. This probably isn't the best example to use for the concealed carry policy, but certainly some of these tragedies could be prevented or less lives taken with it.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you overall.  I was definitely just talking about this one, specific case not necessarily being a great candidate.

Yea, I agree. In this situation...the "vigilantes" could hit a few bystanders instead of the perp.

As callous as it may sound, a couple of bystanders is a hell lot less than 12 dead and 50 wounded. The reality is that you would wait or attempt to get a clear shot, and if he points at you then the lane is obviously clear.
A) It was a dark theater that was full of smoke.  Knowing that he's pointing at you would not necessarily have been as trivial as it sounds.  The attacker has a *huge* advantage here in that he has no particular reason to care if his shots go astray, meaning the visibility hampers him far less.  (See: the reports of gunfire pentrating into the next theater over.)
B) He was wearing body armor, so there's no particular guarantee that a single shot would have taken him out.  And if it doesn't, again, huge advantage to the attacker.
C) And again, what happens if there's more than one concerned citizen.  In this specific scenario where visibility is terrible, you hear another person open fire, how the heck do you know that it's someone trying to stop the madness and not another gunman opening fire on the crowd?  I can easily imagine a scenario with multiple gunmen with four weeks of training and no real-world experience where the end result is even worse than what we had.

Again, I'm not suggesting that this tragedy is an indictment on the concept of concealed firearms in general.  I just think that it's a long way from a given that they would have actually done more good than harm in this situation.

It is pretty much a nightmare scenario, but that shouldn't disqualify people trying to save lives if they can. Remember those psychos a few years back who robbed a bank wearing body armour etc?  The cops still tried to take them out and eventually did. And I mean EVENTUALLY but it took a lot.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 20, 2012, 02:21:56 PM

A couple of guys trying to gang tackle him was still an option.  Just a *really* tough one, since it's also all too easy to imagine at least one of them not living to tell about it.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#17 : July 20, 2012, 03:20:36 PM

A couple of guys trying to gang tackle him was still an option.  Just a *really* tough one, since it's also all too easy to imagine at least one of them not living to tell about it.

I don't think there are any good or right choices in that situation, other than as a parent you try to defend your children. Even then the automatic reaction would probably be to put yourself in the way rather than take him on. As you say, tough all round.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 20, 2012, 04:43:24 PM

Personally, I often find society's reaction to events like this as disturbing as the shooting. Right now, there are thousands of people scrambling to learn every detail of the shooter's life so they can deliver it to you first. The killer will be celebritized. The victims?

Agreed.  The scumbag should never get the infamy he desired. 

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 20, 2012, 05:02:06 PM

When these types of things happen I make sure to stay away from TV news and news websites. 

The event is tragic and the inevitable voyeurism is just too much for my taste.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#20 : July 20, 2012, 05:07:43 PM

When these types of things happen I make sure to stay away from TV news and news websites. 

The guy on Fox News seems to be enjoying covering this - he's almost jubilant about it.  Sickening.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 20, 2012, 05:16:31 PM

The guy on Fox News seems to be enjoying covering this - he's almost jubilant about it.  Sickening.

I'm not, nor have ever been a fan of Fox News...but often times if someone flips the channel to ____ news channel, and are just watching to look for something to complain about...often times they will find it.

Now if you want to post links to dumb sh*t their anchors say and do(which shouldn't be hard to find)....then that would be totally believable..but ^^^ seems like a reach...you could be seeing jubilance because that's what you are looking for when you flip it to fox news...but someone who is objective...might not actually see the same thing.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#22 : July 20, 2012, 08:48:14 PM

Anyone pissed the cops didn't just kill this guy? Its obvious he did it, now we the tax payers get to pay for his trial. Which we all know the dude is gonna plead insanity and get off with a life sentence.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 20, 2012, 10:35:50 PM

The 6 year old girl taken to the hospital died and mother in critical condition. Also said on the news that among the dead is a sailor with the Navy and a sportscaster. Total of 12 killed, 59 injured, at least 9 in critical condition.

He wanted more destruction....
His apartment is booby trapped with homemade explosives. Police looked in with small cameras and robots and see that he has several soda bottles filled with some sort of liquid with wiring connected to trigger devices. The bomb squad says it could take days before they can safely enter as federal bomb experts are being brought in. The area around it has been evacuated. They also searched with bomb-sniffing dogs the buildings he used at the University of Colorado as a precaution, but no devices have been found there.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#24 : July 20, 2012, 10:54:07 PM

what the hell is wrong with people?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 20, 2012, 11:05:41 PM

what the hell is wrong with people?

Dude...this world is f*ck*d up.

...go get that CHL if ya haven't already..

Cowboy

Rookie

#26 : July 21, 2012, 12:15:09 PM

I watched this movie last night.    I consider it to be a waste of 3 hours.   Horribly boring and long movie.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 21, 2012, 02:04:51 PM

Partial list of victims...
Alex Sullivan, 27
Micayla Medek, 23
Veronica Moser, 6
Jessica Ghawi, 24, survived a different shooting a few weeks ago.
John Larimer, 27, US Naval officer
Matt McQuinn, 27, dived in front of girlfriend and her brother, shielding them.

Other names have not be released yet as next of kin has not yet been notified.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : July 21, 2012, 03:28:25 PM

anyone see the interview on piers morgan?  guy frickin left his g/f who was shot in the leg, 4 year old stepdaughter, and 4 month old baby!  dropped the baby and ran.  pathetic.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#29 : July 21, 2012, 03:30:56 PM

I watched this movie last night.    I consider it to be a waste of 3 hours.   Horribly boring and long movie.

Wonder if exposing our 6-yr olds to midnight movies involving graphic violence is in anyway responsible for these types of horrific events occuring in our society.  Do you think a 6 yr old should have been watching this movie? Didn't Disney just put our something more age appropriate?

And I wonder if a child exposed to "games" like this produces well-adjusted, law-abiding citizens.  Is there any wonder that we have psychopaths out in society among us?

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Dark Knight Rises « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools