Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Cap Synopsis... July 19th... « previous next »
Page: 1

blind melon

Hall of Famer

: July 20, 2012, 09:45:04 AM

Adjusted Cap Number: $146.088 million

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82aaa736/article/aqib-talibs-new-buccaneers-contract-his-to-earn?campaign=Twitter_atl

Crunching the Numbers
 Around the League is taking a look at each team's salary cap situation as we approach the start of training camp:

Buccaneers:

Cap Room Remaining: $15.74 million (will decrease by over $2 million once first-round draft pick Mark Barron signs

Best Bargain: As the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' No. 1 receiver by default, Mike Williams has caught 130 passes for 1,735 yards and 14 touchdowns over his first two seasons in the NFL. A 2010 fourth-round draft pick, Williams has earned just over $1.3 million in his career thus far and is scheduled to earn $540,000 in base salary in 2012. The arrival of Vincent Jackson will move Williams to a more suitable role as a No. 2 receiver this season, a position where the 6-foot-2, 221-pounder can take advantage not going up against the other team's top cornerback.

Potential Camp Casualty: The Buccaneers have moved away from signing bonuses, and instead are signing players to higher base salaries (often guaranteed), so players with high salaries always are candidates for release. Two such players on the Buccaneers are right tackle Jeremy Trueblood and linebacker Quincy Black. In the second season of a two-year contract, Trueblood triggered a $1 million escalator to his base salary and is scheduled to make $5.25 million, all of which could be wiped off the books. Black is due $5.5 million in base salary and would leave a cap imprint of just $250,000 from a workout bonus.

The problem with releasing Trueblood or Black lies in whom would replace them? Trueblood played in over 92 percent of the Buccaneers' snaps last season and is solid in pass protection. The Buccaneers do not have much (or any) depth at the tackle position. Black was largely a two-down player in 2011, but with Geno Hayes moving on in free agency, Black is the team's most experienced linebacker. With plenty of cap space, the Buccaneers unlikely are to be motivated by cap relief when shaping their 53-man roster this summer.

Contract Issue Looming In 2013: Cornerback Aqib Talib is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent next offseason. Off-field issues have had his future in Tampa in doubt, but he won't face charges in Texas. Talib has a clean slate with first-year head coach Greg Schiano. When not getting involved in off-field issues, or injured, Talib is an excellent cover cornerback with the ability to be a perennial Pro Bowl player. A healthy, law-abiding season could get the Buccaneers to pony up the dough or place the franchise tag (projected value of $10.784 million) on him next offseason.

Defensive end Michael Bennett received a "First Round" restricted free-agent tender from the Buccaneers and will earn $2.742 million in base salary in 2012. Da'Quan Bowers' torn Achilles will give Bennett another opportunity to cement his status as a starter, either for the Bucs or elsewhere, and he should do quite well for himself on the free agent market if he's allowed to test it.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 20, 2012, 09:50:07 AM

Trueblood played in over 92 percent of the Buccaneers' snaps last season and is solid in pass protection.

And I am a nuclear physicist.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 20, 2012, 09:57:12 AM

The problem with releasing Trueblood or Black lies in whom would replace them?

Who could replace Trueblood without a drop off in production? Sad to say, but it looks as if currently there is no one on the roster who could.

Who could replace Q.B. without a drop off in production? Take your pick:

Rennie Curran
Jacob Cutrera
Najee Goode
Adam Hayward
Dekoda Watson
Cody Grimm
Hell, maybe even Michael Koenen....
: July 20, 2012, 10:00:19 AM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 20, 2012, 12:16:14 PM

I like there's no cap hit if QB doesn't cut the mustard...

I'm hoping one of those other guys can displace him in TC...   I like Dekoda and Rennie as favorites.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 20, 2012, 12:23:29 PM

I like there's no cap hit if QB doesn't cut the mustard...

I'm hoping one of those other guys can displace him in TC...   I like Dekoda and Rennie as favorites.
He's still on the books for 2012 if he's released.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 20, 2012, 12:25:49 PM

Dead money in 2012...  and we have at least $12m (or so) now.

How much has Dom kept in the coffers in previous years?   (I don't know.)   But I'm sure it will be similar.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 20, 2012, 12:43:51 PM

Yes, the dead money would only be for 2012 and then that's it.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 20, 2012, 12:46:20 PM

There actually is a cap hit if the team cuts Black. Blacks first two years were / are guaranteed - thus if he was cut - the team would not have an additional $5 million to go sign another player -  there is just no future cap ramifications involved with the way the Bucs are currently structuring contracts - essentially the team is front loading all contracts in the first two years - pushing all guaranteed monies in to the first two years when they had the room to execute contracts - thus when and if players like Blount, Freeman, Williams, Benn, Price, Talib become free agents they could sign which ever and whom ever they wanted and not have to worry about not having the space to execute those contracts due to salary cap issues.   

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 20, 2012, 12:50:03 PM

Trueblood played in over 92 percent of the Buccaneers' snaps last season and is solid in pass protection.

lol'd

bashear

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 21, 2012, 12:22:35 AM

When he says, "solid," he means below average.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 21, 2012, 01:26:52 AM

Who could replace Trueblood without a drop off in production? Sad to say, but it looks as if currently there is no one on the roster who could.

Rennie Curran
Jacob Cutrera
Najee Goode
Adam Hayward
Dekoda Watson
Cody Grimm

Thats it in a nutshell right there.  Sure we all know Quincy and True suck the big one.  But who do you replace them with?

These dudes still on the free agent unemployed line, are there for a reason. 

And if Goode and the others are worthy, they will get a shot.  Schiano has no history with the fellas, so best man wins.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 21, 2012, 01:29:59 AM

What's up with Leonhard?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 21, 2012, 01:30:17 AM

Rennie Curran
Jacob Cutrera
Najee Goode
Adam Hayward
Dekoda Watson
Cody Grimm

Thats it in a nutshell right there.  Sure we all know Quincy and True suck the big one.  But who do you replace them with?

These dudes still on the free agent unemployed line, are there for a reason. 

And if Goode and the others are worthy, they will get a shot.  Schiano has no history with the fellas, so best man wins.

Unless Mr. polo/khakis/haircut...has a problem with the $ that is riding the pine....

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Cap Synopsis... July 19th... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools