Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "You didn't build that" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 15

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« : July 22, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »

Extremely insulting to anyone who has in fact built their own business, but that's the outlook of the big government folks.  Here is a small retort to the President's insulting remark:

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 22, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »

12-second clip. Where's the earlier 15 minutes of the speech setting up the sound bite?

Taking comments out of content.

But I'm not surprised.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #2 : July 22, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »

Taking comments out of content.

Then please, by all means, go ahead and place them in their correct context.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : July 22, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires."

That 2nd video is no come back on what he actually said, it's like the haulage guy on there, did he build all the roads, pump and process all the fuel, build his trucks from the raw materials found in nature, no he had a helping hand with those things. He also had a job at one point that gave him enough money to invest in those things or somebody gave him the money.
Nothing wrong with what Obama said, I don't like the guy but when taken in context it's true.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #4 : July 22, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »

That 2nd video is no come back on what he actually said, it's like the haulage guy on there, did he build all the roads, pump and process all the fuel, build his trucks from the raw materials found in nature, no he had a helping hand with those things.

So why haven't all of the "haulage guys" that have ever existed been successful?

Nothing wrong with what Obama said, I don't like the guy but when taken in context it's true.

Since it's true, I suppose the President is equally willing to accept the blame for the many more businesses that fail.  No?  Maybe it's not really all that true.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 22, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

http://reason.com/blog/2012/07/17/obamas-speech-overemphasizes-the-importa

the interesting part begins at 1:02 and runs up to and past telling business owners they didn't build their businesses.  Spin it how you wish - but there is a reason his staff is saying Barry was talking about the roads and bridges.  just my .02

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #6 : July 22, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »

the interesting part begins at 1:02 and runs up to and past telling business owners they didn't build their businesses.  Spin it how you wish - but there is a reason his staff is saying Barry was talking about the roads and bridges.  just my .02

Precisely, and almost nobody disagrees that it's the government's job to build roads and bridges.  Even the spin job on this gaffe sucks.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : July 22, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »

I would offer the roads as bridges is wrong, and the money comes from businesses or individuals, and the work is done by the same via their taxes.  The point Barry is trying to make it the Government and its' institutions is responsible.  And that is wrong on a variety of fronts. 

One might think this discrediting of business owners - the target group for Barry's tax increases - is simply to create the impression that business owners don't deserve the money they earn.  Heaven forbid spending be reduced...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 22, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »

12 seconds of Obama's speech...  taken out of context...  And then over two minutes of video that's comparable to apples and waterskis.

That can be found on Palin's kid's blog...?  Okay........   ::)

Oh, but it gets better...

Bristol, the Rhodes Scholar daughter of Palin, after getting sh!t-hammered with responses claiming "Out Of Context", comes back with this weak-assed "who, me?' response, via the Blog from which the OP's vid can be acquired...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/bristolpalin/2012/07/did-i-take-the-presidents-words-out-of-context/#more-1328

Did I Take the President’s Words Out of Context?

July 20, 2012 By Bristol Palin 46 Comments

Earlier this week, I took offense when President Obama said,

“If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

So, I asked small business owners to send in photos of what they built with their intelligence and elbow grease… without any help from the government.  You guys responded with amazing photos, which were made into this awesome video.

Some of the comments suggested I’d taken his words out of context.  Here’s a helpful video of Charles Krauthammer explaining why this isn’t so:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1743838885001/

I wonder if Chuckles even bothered to watch/listen to that vid a second or third time, much less, stop and think about ti for a minute.

Sarah Palin needs to slap her kid for even "acting like she's thinking" when she pulls stunts like this.

Bristol says...... "Hey I didn't take Obama's words out of context...  But if you think I did - listen to this mouthpiece..."

So...  actually go listen to her "reasoning" video.  The writer for The Washington Post, Charles Krauthammer, at the 0:38 second mark, clearly states:  "Let's ignore that one sentence."

WTF.......?!?!?!?  Area you serious Biggs...?

Did YOU even follow this one through........?

The kid falls on her face here...  You...  You're on your own.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 23, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »

That 2nd video is no come back on what he actually said, it's like the haulage guy on there, did he build all the roads, pump and process all the fuel, build his trucks from the raw materials found in nature, no he had a helping hand with those things.

So why haven't all of the "haulage guys" that have ever existed been successful?

Doesn't matter. The simple fact is that without the roads and bridges, there would be no "haulage guys", successful or otherwise. The very existence of any "haulage" business is predicated on their having been roads and bridges built.

Since it's true, I suppose the President is equally willing to accept the blame for the many more businesses that fail.  No?  Maybe it's not really all that true.

I don't think he was taking credit or blame for anything. Am I missing something?

Because he was? Not just roads and bridges, but teachers as well. I know this is a big slap in the face to all the "bootstrappers", but the bottom line is that a strong physical, legal, and economic infrastructure is necessary for any privately owned business to even exist, much less thrive. All are almost exclusively funded by public money.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #10 : July 23, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »

telling business owners they didn't build their businesses.

He never said such a thing

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 23, 2012, 02:28:21 AM »

The success that hopefully goes with a business is the reward for taking on the RISK.  Sure many people contribute to roads and other infrastructure and even help grow the business but NO ONE besides the businses owner takes on as much RISK (and most take NONE).  That's the fallacy (some might say deceit) in the President's argument, it is focused on business owner SUCCESS without consideration of failures (i.e. risk) when many businesses do indeed FAIL.  I have owned several small business, all started from nothing.  There were many people who helped me grow the businesses BUT there was not a single one of them that personally guaranteed my loans and leases, or that offered their own savings for start up capital or that would have lost even a penny if things went south. PROFITS are the reward for RISK.  You could go put your money in a FDIC insured saving account and make 1% interest.  Would you expect to make the same rate of return if you put that same money in the stock market? I learned that from a teacher, but, unlike me, that teacher had ZERO chance of losing money in my ventures.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : July 23, 2012, 06:26:42 AM »

1:45

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 23, 2012, 06:37:58 AM »

Because he was? Not just roads and bridges, but teachers as well. I know this is a big slap in the face to all the "bootstrappers", but the bottom line is that a strong physical, legal, and economic infrastructure is necessary for any privately owned business to even exist, much less thrive. All are almost exclusively funded by public money.
Not a bit surprising nor a slap in the face to anyone you would label as a "bootstrapper" if indeed that is what was said.  But I don't believe that was what was said nor intended given the preceding 'run up' regarding hard work or intelligence.

And the US is a society where businesses exist and as such pay the taxes, along with those paid by individual, to provide infrastructure.  It is noted however, the citizenry preceded the government, the businesses preceded the infrastructure, and while I don't know too many who would prefer not having the infrastructure it is clear which preceded the other. 

You have a definition for the term " public money" CBW?
« : July 23, 2012, 06:53:04 AM dbucfan »

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 23, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »

1:45

At 1:45 he's clearly referring to infrastructure.  He never once says they didn't build their businesses.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "You didn't build that" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools