Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "You didn't build that" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #15 : July 23, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »

Apparently, we should be more grateful that they allow us to use the infrastructure our money paid for. Quite generous of the government. I feel I owe them even more now.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #16 : July 23, 2012, 09:32:16 AM »

telling business owners they didn't build their businesses.

He never said such a thing

But he was saying that business owners would not have been able to succeed without Government. In essence they only have a business because of the largesse of the Feds.

I have to be honest and say I think the words "you did not build that" was referring to infrastructure etc. That line may have been taken out of context, but, the whole tone and CONTEXT OF THE SPEECH is that business owners were "lucky" to have their businesses because they only got there due to the efforts of "public servants". Anybody disagree with that?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #17 : July 23, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »

Much of the infrastructure is built thanks to impact fees paid for by ....... businessess

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #18 : July 23, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »

That 2nd video is no come back on what he actually said, it's like the haulage guy on there, did he build all the roads, pump and process all the fuel, build his trucks from the raw materials found in nature, no he had a helping hand with those things.

So why haven't all of the "haulage guys" that have ever existed been successful?

Doesn't matter.

Of course it doesn't....

This one cracked me up:

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #19 : July 23, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires."

Nothing wrong with what Obama said, I don't like the guy but when taken in context it's true.

Not much different than what Romney said in 2002...

Romney to Olympians: 'You didn't get here solely on your own'
By NBC’s Domenico Montanaro

Mitt Romney has criticized President Obama for his “you didn’t build that line,” when it came to businesses. The president was making an “it takes a village” argument, which the Romney campaign and conservatives have roundly panned.

But in 2002, during his speech at the Opening Ceremonies at the Winter Olympics -- the games in which Romney was lauded for turning around the management of the event -- Romney made a similar argument about Olympians.

"You Olympians, however, know you didn't get here solely on your own power,” said Romney, who on Friday will attend the Opening Ceremonies of this year’s Summer Olympics. “For most of you, loving parents, sisters or brothers, encouraged your hopes, coaches guided, communities built venues in order to organize competitions. All Olympians stand on the shoulders of those who lifted them. We’ve already cheered the Olympians, let’s also cheer the parents, coaches, and communities. All right! [pumps fist].”

In full context, Romney, of course, also praised the Olympians’ efforts – right before he made his “you didn’t get here solely on your own” remark.

“Tonight we cheer the Olympians, who only yesterday were children themselves,” Romney said. “As we watch them over the next 16 days, we affirm that our aspirations, and those of our children and grandchildren, can become reality. We salute you Olympians – both because you dreamed and because you paid the price to make your dreams real. You guys pushed yourself, drove yourself, sacrificed, trained and competed time and again at winning and losing.”

*** UPDATE *** A Republican strategist sends over this response: “The Obama Campaign is comparing the government to a loving parent? What happened to Julia?”

For the record, the post did not originate with the Obama campaign but an NBC archive search.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/23/12904508-romney-to-olympians-you-didnt-get-here-solely-on-your-own?lite

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #20 : July 23, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »

It would be easier to explain if Obama did not refer to Private Enterprise as "the enemy" in his "memoir," or such remarks as "sharing the wealth around" to Joe the Plumber. It just compiles to a state of mind and statements like this simply reinforce it.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #21 : July 23, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »

Nice get.

I take it you are still "thinking" if to vote  for Romney or not.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #22 : July 23, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »

Well I guess that's one way to describe you. "Master of bovine feces" still seems more accurate though.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #23 : July 23, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »

It would be easier to explain if Obama did not refer to Private Enterprise as "the enemy" in his "memoir," or such remarks as "sharing the wealth around" to Joe the Plumber. It just compiles to a state of mind and statements like this simply reinforce it.

That's not exactly what he said in his memoir. You can pull the exact quote yourself.

And our tax system has been spreading the wealth for a long time.

Back to ignoring the political threads. They're very predictable.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #24 : July 23, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »

That's not exactly what he said in his memoir. You can pull the exact quote yourself.

And our tax system has been spreading the wealth for a long time.

Back to ignoring the political threads. They're very predictable.

You're right, it is not the EXACT quote. This is :

'Eventually a consulting house to multinational corporations agreed to hire me as a research assistant. Like a spy behind enemy lines, I arrived every day at my mid-Manhattan office and sat at my computer terminal, checking the Reuters machine that blinked bright emerald messages from across the globe."

Same mindset.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #25 : July 23, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »

"I'm only posting in this thread to let you know that I'm ignoring it"

Whatever you say, slappy.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #26 : July 23, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »

Apparently, we should be more grateful that they allow us to use the infrastructure our money paid for. Quite generous of the government. I feel I owe them even more now.

whoa, whoa, whoa. Youre saying the people make the government possible? Youre saying the people are the ones funding the government? GTFO. That makes way to much sense.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #27 : July 23, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »

It's as if many have forgotten that the pomise upon formation of this country was LIMITED government. 

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #28 : July 23, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »

It's as if many have forgotten that the pomise upon formation of this country was LIMITED government.

forgotten? They want the government to be bigger and control more. That way they dont have to work as hard and get more free stuff. They fail to realize that other americans are the ones footing the bill.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #29 : July 23, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »

Not much different than what Romney said in 2002...

Except for there being no comparison in the two subjects at all, you're right.  It's exactly the same.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "You didn't build that" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools