Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NCAA drops hammer on Penn State « previous next »
Page: 1

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: July 23, 2012, 11:27:03 AM

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-07-23/penn-state-ncaa-penalties-sanctions-fine-bowl-ban-scholarships-joe-paterno?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D182681

Too much to cut and paste. Also there is 2nd article about Paterno losing 111 wins and where he stands now in college coach top win rankings.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 23, 2012, 12:36:28 PM

Good. Still don't think its enough though.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 23, 2012, 01:25:07 PM

It sounds about right to me.  I mean, in principle, if there was ever anything to warrant the death penalty for a program, this would have had to have been it.  But that would have crushed a whole lot of innocent people in State College.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 23, 2012, 08:51:40 PM

It sounds about right to me.  I mean, in principle, if there was ever anything to warrant the death penalty for a program, this would have had to have been it.  But that would have crushed a whole lot of innocent people in State College.

This is the deal they cut to not get the death penalty. Apparently the NCAA wanted to avoid the time and red tape PSU could have thrown up over the DP so they gave them a take it or leave it offer that took that off the table.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

blountforcetrauma

Rookie

#4 : July 24, 2012, 08:13:03 AM

As opposed to the innocent people that Sandusky, Paterno and company crushed.
Nowhere NEAR harsh enough a punishment. I'll repeat what I posted elsewhere; Penn State football needs to burn in hell like that pathetic troll Paterno is doing now.!!     So, a football program can pay students and get the DP but children can be molested, covered up for umpteen years and they get a lesser sentence?? WTF??  I guess a coach could recruit for Al Queda and that's okay with the NCAA too?!?!?!?!?!?!?! >:(

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 24, 2012, 08:39:22 AM

I think every coach in the system that was there for at least 2-3 years "heard some things".

When did "OurGuy" coach there? 1990 to 1995??
And as D-backs coach he reported directly to Sandusky??

Yeah, most likely...... he heard some things..........
: July 24, 2012, 08:46:15 AM TheChronicHotAir

acacius

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 24, 2012, 08:49:00 AM

Nowhere NEAR harsh enough a punishment. I'll repeat what I posted elsewhere; Penn State football needs to burn in hell like that pathetic troll Paterno is doing now.!!     So, a football program can pay students and get the DP but children can be molested, covered up for umpteen years and they get a lesser sentence?? WTF??  I guess a coach could recruit for Al Queda and that's okay with the NCAA too?!?!?!?!?!?!?! >:(
How exactly would that have helped Sandusky's victims?  This penalty was *not* a slap on the wrist, but killing the football program in its entirety would have been economically devastating to State College.  Punish the university and the culture that lead to Sandusky's disgusting acts going on as long as they did, not the local citizenry that had nothing to do with it.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 24, 2012, 08:56:49 AM

Penn St will taking decades to recover from this, if ever. 4 year bowl ban is pretty serious, considering even the incoming freshman next year may never see a post season game if they sign there. Its going to come down to people that dreamed of playing for Penn St now.

blountforcetrauma

Rookie

#8 : July 24, 2012, 10:42:41 AM

How exactly would that have helped Sandusky's victims?  This penalty was *not* a slap on the wrist, but killing the football program in its entirety would have been economically devastating to State College.  Punish the university and the culture that lead to Sandusky's disgusting acts going on as long as they did, not the local citizenry that had nothing to do with it.

With respect, if you were ever victimized by a pedophile (something this entire ordeal brought up a lot of old nightmares about I hoped I was over with), or have a child who was ever preyed on, there is NO PUNISHMENT HARSH ENOUGH,PERIOD!! Damn that program and anyone that ever defends it or Joe Paterno. I defy ANYONE to stand in the face of a victim or a parent of a victim and say that program or Paterno's legacy is more important than what happened to them or their child.
Penn State football deserves to be six feet under to rot with Paterno.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#9 : July 24, 2012, 12:08:53 PM

With respect, if you were ever victimized by a pedophile (something this entire ordeal brought up a lot of old nightmares about I hoped I was over with), or have a child who was ever preyed on, there is NO PUNISHMENT HARSH ENOUGH,PERIOD!! Damn that program and anyone that ever defends it or Joe Paterno. I defy ANYONE to stand in the face of a victim or a parent of a victim and say that program or Paterno's legacy is more important than what happened to them or their child.
Penn State football deserves to be six feet under to rot with Paterno.

I feel you, brother.

People that were never a victim of pedophilia have no clue of the long term effects involved (i.e. guilt, shame, low self-esteem, fear, and so many more). These things will find you (victims) and blindside the **CENSORED** outta you. It is no joke, and for every victim of Sandusky post-1998 is on the Penn State football program.

For that reason, anything short of the death penalty is an injustice.

Tell me this......what SMU did was worse than this? Really?

What a friggin farce.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 24, 2012, 12:36:27 PM

I agree that there is no punishment harsh enough: for the people actually involved.  That doens't mean that people who had nothing to do with it should have to have their livelihoods destroyed.  Keep in mind that this is just the NCAA's punishments here.  Presumably the criminal justice system isn't finished yet.
: July 24, 2012, 12:38:13 PM acacius

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#11 : July 24, 2012, 12:54:15 PM

Think of Enron, if you will.

Thousands of innocent employees were robbed of their savings and their careers because of the selfish actions of their executive level bosses.

**CENSORED** rolls downhill.....always has and always will.

I think when the argument "Everyone should not suffer because of the actions/inactions of a few", one must understand this, especially in the PSU scandal:

PSU will always be known as an institution that condoned child sexual abuse. Their refusal to blow the whistle on Sandusky, in order to maintain their football program's prestige, resulted in so many more children being molested by that monster. How dare they put a game above the welfare of children. And, that's precisely what they did.

So, yes, since God only knows how many children were raped and sodomized between 1998 until the scandal broke out, the FOOTBALL PROGRAM is to be punished......and punished visciously.

So many children could have been spared a lifetime of mental issues, if some egomaniac would have done the HUMANE thing and blow the whistle immediately. He did not in order to avoid his precious football program's reputation from being tarnished. That can't be emphasized enough.

Not to mention, he allowed that POS to continue to step foot on campus and continue abusing children.

blountforcetrauma

Rookie

#12 : July 24, 2012, 12:55:59 PM

Paterno lucked out dying before the law could get ahold of him. Spanier, and the others can look forward to spending time in prison. And I hope for every day Sandusky rots in prison, he gets the same treatment he gave so many boys, only moreso.
I'll try to put emotion away in regard to why this is a proper NCAA punishment. While I don't have the NCAA regs available, they cite "lack of institutional control" as a reason for punishment with other programs ( SMU, UM) . Certainly having the AD, head coach and president of the university harbor and coverup a pedophile be anything LESS than "lack of institutional control"?
Pedophile State University needed to be punished harshly because this so much beyond anything that's ever been done. For those men, especially Paterno who supposedly lived by "doing things the right way", protecting the PSU brand and team meant more than a child's life goes beyond sickening.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NCAA drops hammer on Penn State « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools