Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst Case Scenario - Gerald McCoy Edition « previous next »
Page: 1 2

chace1986

Hall of Famer

: July 25, 2012, 11:04:35 PM

FYI: *The poll question is referring to his 2013 salary*

Ok. So we have seen the results on the "what if" scenario regarding Josh Freeman.

Now it's time for a similar scenario involving Gerald McCoy.

So far, when he has been on the field, he has played well and definitely has shown signs that he has the potential to be an excellent D-lineman.

The key part of that sentence is "when he has been on the field". So far, injuries have marred his young career and he now enters into his 3rd year, having only played 19 of 32 possible games.

So here is the GMC "what if". Should the Bucs keep Gerald McCoy if he gets injured again in 2012?(him playing just at an average level for 16 games doesn't factor into this scenario...this is simply an injury "what if")

The main thing that makes me even ask the question is the salary that is due to GMC. If GMC would have been drafted a year later and had been subject to the new rookie cap...then this would be a non issue. GMC had $35 million guaranteed in his rookie contract and so far has been paid about $22.4 million. He is due $11.1 million in 2012. This brings us to 2013...where his salary hits $12.6 million. If I remember correctly from an article that I read...if after this season, the Bucs wanted to cut GMC...they would only owe him $2.5 million...which could essentially be looked at as a buyout. That would essentially give them $10+ million to go out and get a guy or two who can actually stay on the field and contribute.

So, what say you? If GMC gets hurt again...is he worth the $12.6 million salary?
: July 25, 2012, 11:09:45 PM chace1986

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 25, 2012, 11:08:23 PM

Depends........hurt in game 1 ?     Or hurt in game 15?    Big difference.   And how was he playing beforehand if he goes down later in the season, would factor in.    IMO

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 25, 2012, 11:12:07 PM

Depends........hurt in game 1 ?     Or hurt in game 15?    Big difference.   And how was he playing beforehand if he goes down later in the season, would factor in.    IMO

Fair enough. Year one, he was hurt in the 13th game. Year two, it was the 6th. We will go in between those two and say game # 9. As far as his play...we will say he plays about as well as he did in 2011.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 25, 2012, 11:14:41 PM

If he gets hurt and misses 8 or more games, I think its time for us to turn the page. But, I'd say wait to cut him though like after the draft.

But if McCoy misses 4 games, I'd say keep him as long as he was disruptive.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#4 : July 26, 2012, 10:36:43 AM

How he got hurt, might be relevant.

Its like some knocking Grimm as being injury prone. How is a player injury prone if another player caused the injury by falling on his leg? Maybe that's a regular occurrence in the NFL that I have missed.

Have always wondered where the term injury prone came from and what is the criteria.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 26, 2012, 10:41:28 AM

How he got hurt, might be relevant.

Its like some knocking Grimm as being injury prone. How is a player injury prone if another player caused the injury by falling on his leg? Maybe that's a regular occurrence in the NFL that I have missed.

Have always wondered where the term injury prone came from and what is the criteria.

How 'bout 2yrs. not finishing the season on the field Stan? What would you call it with your blind spin?

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 26, 2012, 10:44:38 AM

As far as the thread goes, I want to see Gerald McCoy do something this season. If he gets injured in game 1 of the season, you have to make a move in my opinion. You just have to move on, no disrespect against the guy, but it is what it is.

Quote from: Uncle Stan

That is actually an interesting topic that could have a thread all in itself.

Sometimes certain players play recklessly and use the incorrect technique exposing themselves to unnecessary injury. I like to think there are causes and effects to many injuries, sometimes it's not always as simple as it just happened or bad luck.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#7 : July 26, 2012, 10:57:07 AM

And sometimes it's just body mechanics, particularly tendon details such as thickness, degree of muscle attachment, and insertion point. Some of the same attributes that can make a player stronger and faster can make him more likely to be injured.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 26, 2012, 10:58:42 AM

If he cannot suit up for the majority of the season, I would think it is time to cut bait.

And then watch him go to another team and NEVER have an injury bug issue again.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 26, 2012, 10:29:25 PM

Bump. Thought this thread was worthy.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 26, 2012, 10:58:26 PM

He needs to play at least 12 games this season and make an impact. Failure to do so I think is grounds for dismissal.

McCoy93

Starter

#11 : July 26, 2012, 11:06:06 PM

Mccoy needs to be healthy this year or were screwed at the tackle position

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 26, 2012, 11:16:28 PM

They have Gibson, and another guy whose name escapes me at the moment.  Plus Okoye.   And who knows, maybe they pick somebody up.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 26, 2012, 11:17:21 PM

They have Gibson, and another guy whose name escapes me at the moment.  Plus Okoye.   And who knows, maybe they pick somebody up.
How can you forget Roy Miller like that! :P

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 26, 2012, 11:23:42 PM

How can you forget Roy Miller like that! :P

LOL

Actually that is not who I was thinking of.   There is a guy that got hurt in camp last year and supposedly looked pretty good.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst Case Scenario - Gerald McCoy Edition « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools