Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Okoye aces his conditioning test today « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 26, 2012, 09:28:44 PM

It's not surprising there was a group of Bucs....or any NFL team....which had a fair number of guys not complete that drill. It's pretty difficult and it was very warm today.

I also doubt any failures had anything much, if anything, to do with the guys who were traded/released.

With Dez and Price there were certainly other issues.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 26, 2012, 09:41:06 PM

It's not surprising there was a group of Bucs....or any NFL team....which had a fair number of guys not complete that drill.

Ya, but pro athletes?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 26, 2012, 09:49:40 PM

It's not surprising there was a group of Bucs....or any NFL team....which had a fair number of guys not complete that drill.

Ya, but pro athletes?

Think about it though the higher you go in football the worse conditioning test will be. It's not like these pros will do some high school test.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 26, 2012, 09:53:30 PM

Ya, but pro athletes?

Think about it though the higher you go in football the worse conditioning test will be. It's not like these pros will do some high school test.

They knew exactly what was coming, and had what, 2 months to prepare?   Every town in the USA has a football field or running track.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 26, 2012, 10:03:18 PM

So where is the link that says Nicks failed?

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 26, 2012, 10:14:50 PM

I'm excited to see what he does on our D line this season honestly. Still amazing how many years the kid has in the league given how young he is.

Ditto that. 
Hope he stays healthy and is ready to take the next step.

Turn the page.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : July 26, 2012, 10:17:31 PM

So by my count we still have two open roster spots......camp starts tomorrow.....who we signing?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 26, 2012, 10:21:40 PM

So where is the link that says Nicks failed?

Too lazy to Google it yourself?

http://tinyurl.com/Carl-Nicks-Failed-Test

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 26, 2012, 10:49:38 PM

Ya, but pro athletes?

As a middle distance runner of some ability, I can tell you that this would be a difficult test for even pro athletes particularly lineman sized athletes. For linemen in particular, I'm not sure the test is appropriate.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : July 26, 2012, 10:53:41 PM

In all that heat and humidity, it would be tough.  But as a pro athlete, with a warning shot already fired about the upcoming test, there is no excuse to fail it.  You make good coin, to play in a stadium filled with screaming fans, and you cannot motivate?

It really is sad if you fail it.

I wonder why they cut Holland?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 26, 2012, 10:55:00 PM

Actually, 16 110's equals a mile, so the players are basically doing a timed mile run.

id say a timed mile sprint.  not easy for anyone imo.  but i do agree, these guys are being paid a lot of money to be ready for it.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 26, 2012, 10:56:06 PM

Ya, but pro athletes?

As a middle distance runner of some ability, I can tell you that this would be a difficult test for even pro athletes particularly lineman sized athletes. For linemen in particular, I'm not sure the test is appropriate.

It depends on the amount of time the linemen are given to run the mile. I'm sure most of these guys are used to jogging a mile when they are conditioning. I don't think they are gonna ask a 300lb lineman to run a 5 minute mile plus the fact they get 45 second rest times in between each sprint.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : July 26, 2012, 10:56:31 PM

Filled - not recently....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#28 : July 26, 2012, 11:16:55 PM

So by my count we still have two open roster spots......camp starts tomorrow.....who we signing?

Would we have 3 left? We cut 2, traded 1 and Legrand retired. I only saw where we signed the Thomas guy.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 26, 2012, 11:23:54 PM

Ya, but pro athletes?

It depends on the amount of time the linemen are given to run the mile. I'm sure most of these guys are used to jogging a mile when they are conditioning. I don't think they are gonna ask a 300lb lineman to run a 5 minute mile plus the fact they get 45 second rest times in between each sprint.

45 secs isn't a tremendous amount of time to recover for a guy that big. As someone who's extremely well versed in interval training for more than 40 years as athlete and coach  I also really don't get the point of the exercise. Why would anyone train to ace a test which really doesn't show anything about the particular player. Would it be an appropriate test for a DB or WR or even linebacker? Yes. A lineman? I don't see it.

I say this because as soon as I read it, my thought was that this was a test in which Schiano was seeking failure. Some have concern on the board that Schiano could overdo it on the hard ass coach end of things and this would play in to it.

A test in which 16 players fail seems like a test that was inappropriate unless the Bucs somehow have stumbled into the worst conditioned squad in the league because you never hear about this level of failure. Usually it's one or two guys if that many.
: July 26, 2012, 11:25:52 PM ryan24

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Okoye aces his conditioning test today « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools