Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Okoye aces his conditioning test today « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 26, 2012, 11:26:20 PM

So by my count we still have two open roster spots......camp starts tomorrow.....who we signing?

Would we have 3 left? We cut 2, traded 1 and Legrand retired. I only saw where we signed the Thomas guy.

I was thinking 3 as well.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 26, 2012, 11:26:50 PM

It's not surprising there was a group of Bucs....or any NFL team....which had a fair number of guys not complete that drill.

Ya, but pro athletes?

Think about it though the higher you go in football the worse conditioning test will be. It's not like these pros will do some high school test.

They knew exactly what was coming, and had what, 2 months to prepare?   Every town in the USA has a football field or running track.

It can get you in shape, but not prepared for that type of heat and running while being timed. People train for months to leave for basic training but fail to complete it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 26, 2012, 11:28:47 PM

The thought of running 110 yards right now in the cool upstate NY air (thank GOD for that...been hot and dry all summer...lawn is BROWN) makes me cringe.

But of course, I am not being paid to represent.  No excuse to fail that.  NONE.  Zilch.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 26, 2012, 11:29:59 PM

It's not surprising there was a group of Bucs....or any NFL team....which had a fair number of guys not complete that drill.

Ya, but pro athletes?

Think about it though the higher you go in football the worse conditioning test will be. It's not like these pros will do some high school test.

They knew exactly what was coming, and had what, 2 months to prepare?   Every town in the USA has a football field or running track.

It can get you in shape, but not prepared for that type of heat and running while being timed. People train for months to leave for basic training but fail to complete it.

IDK man, if I was making the kind of scratch these dudes are making.  I would be running a practice mile every day in my hometown for the last couple months.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 26, 2012, 11:31:38 PM

Nice post Ryan - I was going to make the same point but figured it would be lost on many in this thread.  Glad you did.  Running for runnings sake is track...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 26, 2012, 11:33:19 PM

Nice post Ryan - I was going to make the same point but figured it would be lost on many in this thread.  Glad you did.  Running for runnings sake is track...

I would offer its a barometer of your overall physical condition.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#36 : July 26, 2012, 11:39:29 PM

Ya, but pro athletes?

IDK man, if I was making the kind of scratch these dudes are making.  I would be running a practice mile every day in my hometown for the last couple months.

...and you might still fail the test. With that rate of failure, the test is bad not the players.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 26, 2012, 11:46:27 PM

Makes sense on the face of the comment.  I would respond it is asking for type of physical condition which is not consistent with the position's requirements. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 26, 2012, 11:50:45 PM

Makes sense on the face of the comment.  I would respond it is asking for type of physical condition which is not consistent with the position's requirements.

They all run to a differing degrees.   And from what I understand, its a different test for the linemen as opposed to the DB's or Wr's.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 26, 2012, 11:54:15 PM

Ya, but pro athletes?

Same here, but this world is not full of hard workers. A lot of guys do what they can to get by.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#40 : July 26, 2012, 11:55:36 PM

They all run to a differing degrees.   And from what I understand, its a different test for the linemen as opposed to the DB's or Wr's.
I believe it is described as different time requirements.  And it is the repetitive running 110 yards in such a hot environment that is at issue. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 26, 2012, 11:58:00 PM

I believe it is described as different time requirements.  And it is the repetitive running 110 yards in such a hot environment that is at issue.

So a guy making 5mil a year for example, can't jog 110 yards and take a 45 second break and rinse and repeat?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#42 : July 26, 2012, 11:58:59 PM

16 100yd sprints with different time goals for the 3 groups and different recoveries for the 3 groups.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#43 : July 26, 2012, 11:59:57 PM

So a guy making 5mil a year for example, can't jog 110 yards and take a 45 second break and rinse and repeat?

Who said anything about "jog"?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : July 27, 2012, 12:02:16 AM

I am relatively certain a jog isn't what is required for passing the time - if that is all that is required you could well be right.  If you know the time requirements feel free to enlighten me.  I am familiar with fitness tests - and I don't know of one that uses jogging.  But perhaps you are right about that, and therefore right with your expectation.  As for the money, I don't that is material, dramatic perhaps, but not pertinent.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Okoye aces his conditioning test today « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools