Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano's expectations will be met – or else « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #60 : July 29, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »

Or else what?   He can't cut or trade the whole team.   It's a fine line he is walking IMO.   Hope it works out,

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #61 : July 30, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »

Respectfully disagree.  The players are young kids for the most part; not too many Barbers on the team.  Just like your own kids, they are best served by knowing EXACTLY what's expected of them and EXACTLY what will happen if they don't perform as instructed.  I never thought I'd be the stricter of two parents but here's an example: my wife is a great mother but sometimes she bargains with the kids, doesn't follow through on her discipline, things like that.  When she's on her own and needs to go to the store with them, she is flabbergasted that they act up and asks me how I can take them everywhere with me and have few, if any issues.  It's simple discipline and that's what Schiano is providing.  Now, if he could not define the expectations or the consequences, I'd have an issue.  Looks to me like he is very clear on both and that is exactly what this team needs.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #62 : July 30, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »

Respectfully disagree.  The players are young kids for the most part; not too many Barbers on the team.  Just like your own kids, they are best served by knowing EXACTLY what's expected of them and EXACTLY what will happen if they don't perform as instructed.  I never thought I'd be the stricter of two parents but here's an example: my wife is a great mother but sometimes she bargains with the kids, doesn't follow through on her discipline, things like that.  When she's on her own and needs to go to the store with them, she is flabbergasted that they act up and asks me how I can take them everywhere with me and have few, if any issues.  It's simple discipline and that's what Schiano is providing.  Now, if he could not define the expectations or the consequences, I'd have an issue.  Looks to me like he is very clear on both and that is exactly what this team needs.

I hear ya man, but there has been hard ass coaches in the league in the past with disastrous results.  Ray Perkins and Coughlin come to mind.  It took Coughlin changing his tactics for him to succeed.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #63 : July 30, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »

Yeah, but I'd bet that Coughlin still states the expectations and holds them to it.  He's probably just not as radical with the expectations like he was back in the day.

“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #64 : July 30, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »

Coughlin had a lot of success before he lightened up later in his career. But you can add Rod Marinelli and Les Steckel to the list of coaches who tried to play rough with their team and it didn't work.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #65 : July 30, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »

Coughlin had a lot of success before he lightened up later in his career. But you can add Rod Marinelli and Les Steckel to the list of coaches who tried to play rough with their team and it didn't work.

Its works for awhile IMO.   Then it gets old, especially if your not putting up W's.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #66 : July 30, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »

Its works for awhile IMO.   Then it gets old, especially if your not putting up W's.
It never worked for Steckel, Perkins, and Marinelli.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #67 : July 30, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

Well...... that is why I am hoping the current Bucs team can put up some W's real quick.  Or he [Schiano] might lose them.    They start out 0-6 or something,  it might get ugly.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #68 : July 30, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »

Exactly. It all boils down to wins. Dungy's style was just what the Bucs needed at one point until he couldn't get them over the hump. Then Gruden's style was just what they needed until he was tuned out. Then Morris was the lauded "new age" coach coming off of a 10-win season until the wheels fell off. Players know that if they aren't getting wins, that their coach's job is every bit as much in jeopardy as their own job (if not more so), so it is easy for them to tune the coach's out.

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #69 : July 31, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »

That^^^^^^

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

« #70 : July 31, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

one thing I have to add... people act like the players have been adverse to schiano's hard-nose approach, but in reality, every player quote so far has been positive regarding schiano and his coaching style....

so where do people get the idea that his style is a bad thing?  the players welcome it!  the rest is just fans feeling sorry for our players actually having to do work now...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #71 : July 31, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »

It isn't a bad thing Beard.

But we are envisioning without some serious W's, that style is going to fall upon deaf ears.

Culture change was needed, and we have that. Guys are demonstrating an ability to adhere to bare minimum standards, and some guys are changing their motivation.

Now when the season starts, we will see what happens. Coughlin is one thing because the guy is a great coach, a formidable knowledge of X's and O's. Schiano needs to uphold his end of the bargain now, so the pressure is firmly on him. As it is in every coach.

Going to be fun!  Having seen S at Rutgers, I can say he wasn't too bad. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #72 : December 30, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »

He certainly is a boatload better than Dallas Effin Clark!

guess we'll find that out soon enough.
I already know.

Dallas Clark is ancient, coming off of injuries, and still hasn't demonstrated reliable mitts.  And he had AWFUL hands last year...and TCs hasn't shown him to be catching balls any better, and that is with no contact...

I think his time is done, and he might lose his job if a guy like Dunsmore can pick up a playbook.  That kid is leagues faster, and looks the part.  Got my fingers crossed that he can become our Gronkowski.  And so do you all! :-*
Drake Dunsmore...pfff...

So much for that hope and a prayer.

And what did I say that wasn't true about Clark here?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #73 : December 30, 2012, 06:54:01 AM »

It worked just fine for Vince Lombardi.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #74 : December 30, 2012, 07:01:40 AM »

Too bad this isn't 1968.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano's expectations will be met – or else « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools