Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zuttah working with quarterback Josh Freeman on consistency in snapping. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 31, 2012, 10:34:17 PM

Jeremy Zuttah is set up at new spot for Tampa Bay Buccaneers

By Joe Smith, Times Staff Writer
 In Print: Wednesday, August 1, 2012

DANIEL WALLACE | Times]

Zuttah, left, said one big adjustment at center is working with quarterback Josh Freeman on consistency in snapping.

TAMPA In training camp last year, Jeremy Zuttah was on the move, getting snaps at all five offensive line positions.

Zuttah's versatility has been a huge asset for the Bucs his first four seasons. But he is more than happy to be staying put now, entrenched as the starting center.

"It's just cool to be in one place," Zuttah said. "I'm ready to go."

The Bucs believe Zuttah is a natural fit at center, blending strength, speed and smarts, which is partly why they signed him to a four-year, $16.3 million extension in March and felt comfortable releasing Jeff Faine, their starter for four seasons.

Zuttah, 26, is familiar with the position, making nine of his 44 NFL starts there. He'll have help, and said the best part is having Pro Bowl guards Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks alongside him. Nicks, a 6-foot-5, 343-pound star, signed a five-year free agent deal in the offseason.

"You can go all around the league and you're not going to find two guards like that," Zuttah said. "So I'm going to try to do my part and try to get on the same page with them."

Bucs coach Greg Schiano, who coached Zuttah at Rutgers, said while the Edison, N.J., native isn't the biggest guy at 6-4, 308, he's got the "perfect temperament" to play center, mixing intelligence with toughness.

"He's a strong guy, but there's a lot of strong guys," Schiano said. "He's very intelligent, he can learn things very quickly and grasp concepts. A lot of times, with all the different blitz looks you get in this day and age of football, you really need someone who understands concepts because you're going to get new looks. But if your center can identify and communicate that, it kind of calms everybody else down and that's what we're counting on from Jeremy."

Zuttah, a third-round pick in 2008, impressed teammates by adapting and playing all over the line, much like he did in college. He has 30 starts at left guard, five at right guard and nine at center, filling in for Faine.

"He likes center better than guard, but it's a business and he had to play where he could play," left tackle Donald Penn said. "He did a great job but he feels comfortable at center and I think that'll help us a lot because when you have a guy playing the position he's comfortable with, it's a lot easier."

Said Joseph: "I think it's the right spot for him. He knows the offense really well, and is a real smart guy. He knows all the positions, which makes him even better. I know he'll do well."

Zuttah said having played all the spots will help him anticipate protection schemes, with one of his biggest adjustments trying to get a consistent snap with quarterback Josh Freeman.

"Everyday, coming out here, there's something to work on," Zuttah said. "But it's nice to try to specialize a little bit."

Joe Smith can be reached at joesmith@tampabay.com.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 31, 2012, 10:46:42 PM

..Please, no more limp-wristed nearly comical botched snaps. The Bucs have their own goddamn highlight reel just chock full of those.

Even if Zutt is "average," it's better than what Faine had left.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 31, 2012, 10:52:01 PM

Zuttah has had an issue with shotgun snaps. Im way more worried about those than the under center snaps.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 31, 2012, 11:11:43 PM

When Zoot Scoot snaps in a shotgun formation, I cringe.

It is like watching a cross eyed dude throw a grenade.  Ya never know...

He should be getting better at it.  The guy has really never had to worry about it for very long, so he SHOULD be viably concerned. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 31, 2012, 11:31:30 PM

He will be fine, now that center is his full time gig.  Him and Freehawk have the whole camp and preseason to get plenty of practice getting the chemistry down.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 01, 2012, 02:40:42 AM

He will be fine, now that center is his full time gig.  Him and Freehawk have the whole camp and preseason to get plenty of practice getting the chemistry down.

I find snaps are easy. I guess that's not everyone though. Once you do it for awhile, it's fairly easy to get the routine down. Although, I suppose snapping to a bigger QB would be a bit tougher.

I would figure the toughest part of it would be snapping it to Freeman high enough that he can just catch and move. I saw a lot of them low last season, where freeman had to collect it and scramble for time.

That's two thirds of a second wasted finding the ball instead of adjusting targets..

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 01, 2012, 03:17:42 AM

This guy will see way more pressure with Nicks and Joseph next to him.  It will be a good learning experience and something I am watching closely this year.  Hopefully they aren't drafting a center in the next couple drafts but I certainly have my doubts.   

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 01, 2012, 04:01:51 AM

Probably.....as long as Freeman has one of these when working out of the shotgun

BucFanHudson31

Starter

#8 : August 01, 2012, 06:31:21 AM

Jeremy Zuttah is set up at new spot for Tampa Bay Buccaneers

By Joe Smith, Times Staff Writer
 In Print: Wednesday, August 1, 2012

DANIEL WALLACE | Times]

Zuttah, left, said one big adjustment at center is working with quarterback Josh Freeman on consistency in snapping.

TAMPA In training camp last year, Jeremy Zuttah was on the move, getting snaps at all five offensive line positions.

Zuttah's versatility has been a huge asset for the Bucs his first four seasons. But he is more than happy to be staying put now, entrenched as the starting center.

"It's just cool to be in one place," Zuttah said. "I'm ready to go."

The Bucs believe Zuttah is a natural fit at center, blending strength, speed and smarts, which is partly why they signed him to a four-year, $16.3 million extension in March and felt comfortable releasing Jeff Faine, their starter for four seasons.

Zuttah, 26, is familiar with the position, making nine of his 44 NFL starts there. He'll have help, and said the best part is having Pro Bowl guards Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks alongside him. Nicks, a 6-foot-5, 343-pound star, signed a five-year free agent deal in the offseason.

"You can go all around the league and you're not going to find two guards like that," Zuttah said. "So I'm going to try to do my part and try to get on the same page with them."

Bucs coach Greg Schiano, who coached Zuttah at Rutgers, said while the Edison, N.J., native isn't the biggest guy at 6-4, 308, he's got the "perfect temperament" to play center, mixing intelligence with toughness.

"He's a strong guy, but there's a lot of strong guys," Schiano said. "He's very intelligent, he can learn things very quickly and grasp concepts. A lot of times, with all the different blitz looks you get in this day and age of football, you really need someone who understands concepts because you're going to get new looks. But if your center can identify and communicate that, it kind of calms everybody else down and that's what we're counting on from Jeremy."

Zuttah, a third-round pick in 2008, impressed teammates by adapting and playing all over the line, much like he did in college. He has 30 starts at left guard, five at right guard and nine at center, filling in for Faine.

"He likes center better than guard, but it's a business and he had to play where he could play," left tackle Donald Penn said. "He did a great job but he feels comfortable at center and I think that'll help us a lot because when you have a guy playing the position he's comfortable with, it's a lot easier."

Said Joseph: "I think it's the right spot for him. He knows the offense really well, and is a real smart guy. He knows all the positions, which makes him even better. I know he'll do well."

Zuttah said having played all the spots will help him anticipate protection schemes, with one of his biggest adjustments trying to get a consistent snap with quarterback Josh Freeman.

"Everyday, coming out here, there's something to work on," Zuttah said. "But it's nice to try to specialize a little bit."

Joe Smith can be reached at joesmith@tampabay.com.

DAMN Nicks makes Zute look like Simeon Rice or something ,BTW zuttah looks alot better slimmed and trimmed

Freeman has improved and I was wrong about him.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 01, 2012, 07:57:27 AM

All Faine could do was snap the ball , he sure as hell couldn't block anybody. We'd have been better off with Economos in there...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucFanHudson31

Starter

#10 : August 01, 2012, 08:51:21 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Theirs truth to that brother.  And I thought I hated Wade..  (Face palm)

Freeman has improved and I was wrong about him.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 01, 2012, 10:22:51 AM

Wade wasn't that bad. He sure was hell better than Faine were.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zuttah working with quarterback Josh Freeman on consistency in snapping. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools