Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 98.7 The Fan « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#45 : August 05, 2012, 03:20:32 PM

Checked out this station a few times over the past few days and I like what I hear so far. Much better than WDAE. Like the local centric talk and also glad I can avoid the Babe as her annoying voice causes my brain to get all itchy. Hopefully this causes WDAE to tweak their approach.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#46 : August 05, 2012, 07:46:12 PM

I've been out of town so tomorrow will be my 1st chance to listen to new station. Looking forward to it !

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

DailyRich68

Starter
#47 : August 05, 2012, 08:40:53 PM

Kinda bummed the signal doesn't seem to reach into Orlando.  We have an FM station at 98.9 that bleeds over too much to pick up anything.  I'll have to give a listen online at work.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#48 : August 21, 2012, 02:21:15 PM

Been able to listen to this station much more. Few comments

It seems the duos other than the morning duo lack chemistry. McFarland and Todd Wright seem off. McFarland comes quite well, and Wright just seems like an annoying blowhard.

Gary Shelton doesn't seem on the same energy level as the Commish, and it'd be nice if they were able to find him a sidekick that could match his energy.

Rich Herrea is still a schill for the Rays. He's entertaining but his days as a Rays host seem to have effected his ability to talk about the team in a unbias fashion.

Formerly known as T

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#49 : August 21, 2012, 07:54:32 PM

gary shelton was awful today imo.  just spent all his airtime to take cheap shots at the Bucs.  worthless.  todd wright doesnt bother me as much as he bothers you guys.  i think he just has to spend all his airtime defending mcfarland.  today mcfarland beat to death the idea that safety was our biggest concern after QB.  i understand we can make an argument over every position, but c'mon.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#50 : August 22, 2012, 11:54:47 AM

gary shelton was awful today imo.  just spent all his airtime to take cheap shots at the Bucs.  worthless.  todd wright doesnt bother me as much as he bothers you guys.  i think he just has to spend all his airtime defending mcfarland.  today mcfarland beat to death the idea that safety was our biggest concern after QB.  i understand we can make an argument over every position, but c'mon.

Not sure how McFarland can say that QB and Safety are the biggest concerns...

I'd say Defensive line and LB's are the biggest concerns. Yeah Gary Shelton resorts to cheap shots as he has very limited knowledge of the game and that's the easiest thing for lazy sports writers to do is throw out cheap shots. When I listen I normally catch the early morning guys who are pretty decent or Rich herrea who is pretty awful. Still like the Commish I just think Shelton sucks, bad.

Formerly known as T

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#51 : August 24, 2012, 11:58:30 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I think this station is pretty good.   

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#52 : August 25, 2012, 10:47:20 AM

i listened some more on fri, hated it just as much as usual.  just sad to me that there arent any local stations that give more support to the local teams.

it wasnt fri, but commish/shelton were talking of how awful the views are from RayJays upper deck.  they didnt mention which stadiums had upper deck views they liked.  on fri shelton bragged about how he's a grumpy old man.  greeeeat personality for local sportsradio.  on the day of the pats game they replayed friedmans interview, so that was and easy hour of Rays talk...half of it repeated.  they spent plenty of time on lance armstrong...probably 4x as much as bucs talk.  when they did mention the bucs, they mentioned how awful it was to watch the titans game.

it does amaze me the amount of rays callers...they sure dont go to the games, but for  some reason love to call in.  and most are idiots.  cant believe some of the things baseball callers say.

i actually called in to ask booger how much of his own money he would spend if 10 guys from LSU allegedly said he was using steroids back in the day.  but the ring never answered - maybe i called the wrong number.  also wanted to let him know that his name isnt that well thought of.  all of my friends still cringe over his selection with jevon kearse still on the board.  i think he said something pretty dumb yesterday, but i cant remember right now.

one show ive been streaming and really enjoying is chris doering-scott brantley-adam reardon on UF radio from 10-12.  its definitely UF biased but they spend plenty of time discussing fsu and miami. 

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#53 : August 25, 2012, 05:27:54 PM

Best thing about this is the relationship with USF. It was nice having football on 970 but it got bounced around at times and basketball was definitely nomadic. Having them both there will be great .... and I would imagine if there's a rare conflict between the two, hoops would go to 1010 AM. Kind of cool having local sports

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#54 : August 25, 2012, 10:27:31 PM

I like the Commish, but Shelton sucks.  he can be a funny guy in print, but definitely not translating to radio yet.   I like Todd Wright.   I enjoy his dry sense of humor and the pop culture.  Also nice to hear someone with intelligence talk sports as opposed to the mundane bashing that normally fills the air waves.   But booger is a waste of air space.  He's like ian, but worse.

I also like the USF connection though.

On a side note, I can't stand that USF is connected with brighthouse.  Makes no sense to me that they would limit themselves to much in their TV deal.
: August 25, 2012, 10:29:20 PM olafberserker

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#55 : August 31, 2012, 08:49:35 AM

booger said yesterday that he doesnt trust bj upton at the plate but he is deserving of a 100mil contract.  also made the connections of criminals to blacks concerning the ND comments.  he's a fool.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#56 : August 31, 2012, 11:00:48 AM

Booger needs to get in on that concussion lawsuit if he think BJ is worth 100 million contract.

Formerly known as T

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#57 : August 31, 2012, 11:50:21 AM

gave 98.7 a chance - but not worth the time whatsoever - big failure.

they should have got JP Peterson and TKras on their network instead of Booger, Shelton, Rich Herrerra, the Babe, and Dinger - they all stink - even boring-as-hell Todd Wright.....Commish made a bad career move
: August 31, 2012, 11:51:53 AM Morgan

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#58 : August 31, 2012, 01:05:32 PM

I found JP to be downright awful at times, so I'm glad he is not on the air any longer. Tkras is hands down the best sports personality in the bay area.

I was excited for a FM station that could hopefully challenge 620, and get that station to get their act together but other than the Commish the majority of the shows are just unlistenable at times. Morning show isn't that bad, and Booger is decent when he is talking about football, but the pairings of the dups is what makes little sense at all.

Formerly known as T

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#59 : August 31, 2012, 01:59:22 PM

Tkras seems like a nice guy, but his show was terrible in my opinion.  For one thing, I don't want to hear a local sports guy spend half the day talking about his favorite NY sports teams.  And all I ever heard JP do was piss and moan about whichever team was either struggling or wouldn't give him the interview he wanted.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 98.7 The Fan « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools