Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 98.7 The Fan « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#75 : October 01, 2012, 02:26:20 PM

Looks like the Todd Wright - McFarland show didn't work out. They've already made a change in that line-up.

to what?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#76 : October 01, 2012, 02:40:44 PM

Rich Herrera is now in Todd Wright's slot in the afternoons w/ Booger.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#77 : October 02, 2012, 11:58:33 AM

Good, I'd rather hear Wright on his own in that evening slot.   Herrera and Booger can talk over each other.   Did sound a little lively yesterday on there, but only heard them for a couple of minutes.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#78 : October 09, 2012, 06:24:41 PM

listened today.  booger was as bad as ever.  he said that tebow was a capable backup QB, said he was one of the 64 best QB's in the world, and followed it up by saying tebow should be run out of the NFL.

also said goodell was a flipflopper for upholding the suspensions.

shelton defending jimbo fisher for only losing one game so far this season...followed it up by asking why FSU wasnt better when ponder was there.  stated no one picked fsu to be in the title game...when in fact many did.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#79 : October 09, 2012, 07:01:05 PM

justin pulawski has seemed to lost all creativity and now just moderates the show - the whole thing is a bad experiment......rarely listen to any of the channel.....did catch a few mins of the Sports Babe and she's a total train wreck.....actually was sneezing on her microphone - nasty women

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#80 : October 15, 2012, 09:21:14 AM

justin pulawski has seemed to lost all creativity and now just moderates the show - the whole thing is a bad experiment......rarely listen to any of the channel.....did catch a few mins of the Sports Babe and she's a total train wreck.....actually was sneezing on her microphone - nasty women

Sports babe is not a good description of her at all.

Only show I find that I can listen to is the morning show which is decent. Sports radio in Tampa is still pretty poor.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#81 : October 15, 2012, 11:35:28 AM

Rick Stroud and his partner are doing a good job, imo on WDAE.  More cerebral - less dumb stuff like Ron and Ian.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#82 : October 16, 2012, 11:26:42 AM

Somtimes Kirk and Dinger put up some good stuff, but, today was an off day for that duo........Herarra is terrible man, Ledger not much better, sports babe deserves her slot, when most are sleeping, Mark is just so laid back, never starts a fire.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#83 : February 27, 2013, 05:24:22 AM

Didn't even realize that self-absorbed Todd Wright was off the air.  This station is  having a tough time finding anyone to listen - Gary Shelton and Justin P are worthy  to listen to -

-----------------------------------------

Sports talk on 98.7 tries to build fans

It started, as many major broadcast projects do, with a flurry of optimism, a display of resources and a high-profile news conference.

But about seven months after debuting the Tampa Bay market's first FM sports talk radio station, officials at CBS Radio are downplaying a restructuring that has seen the departure of the station's first program director, the firing of one on-air personality and the abandonment of its 24/7 live and local format.

At the start of February, nationally syndicated sports talk star Jim Rome began airing on Sportsradio 98.7 the Fan (WHFS-FM), ending the station's live and local programming around the clock.

Mike Pepper, the program director who developed the inaugural lineup, left the company last week after moving to sales a few months ago.

And Todd Wright, a former host with ESPN Radio and Yahoo Sports Radio, was also let go, making room to move Nanci Donnellan, the Fabulous Sports Babe, up from an overnight time slot to 7 p.m.

Arbitron Inc. says WHFS's average share of listeners across its entire broadcast day has dropped 41 percent, from 1.7 when it was known as Play 98.7 in January 2012 to 0.7 in January 2013.

Some listeners and critics wondered: Was this a sign the launch got off on the wrong foot? And is this just the first of many changes to come?

"I just don't see that we can expect ratings in the first two years," said Ben Hill, Tampa market manager for CBS Radio, relaxing in a conference room at the St. Petersburg offices last week.

"Music formats, you often know in the first six months or so whether things are working. But talk radio takes more time. Some people still don't even know we've flipped the format."

The format debuted Aug. 2, transforming what had been a contemporary hits music station into 98.7 The Fan. The station was positioned as a home for sports talk at a radio frequency fans might find more accessible than AM outlets; some surveys find a healthy percentage of young listeners never use the AM dial at all.

But when the station unveiled its inaugural lineup, it seemed short on big local names. In particular, former local TV sportscasters J.P. Peterson and Al Keck, both on the radio elsewhere, weren't on deck.

Some pairings, specifically Wright and former Buc Booger McFarland, didn't jell ("It was obvious Todd didn't want to share the microphone," Hill said). McFarland was re-teamed with Rich Herrera while Wright got his own show until the latest programming.

And though CBS Radio's national network has provided pro game broadcasts, the only local teams the station secured were USF's, a tough sell in a town where the Bucs, Rays and Lightning command the lion's share of attention.

John O'Connor, the station's new program director, said WHFS tries to compete with WDAE-AM 620, Clear Channel Radio's popular sports talk station and WHPT-FM 102.5 (The Bone), Cox Radio's popular male-oriented "hot talk" station.

But Hill downplayed comparisons to 98.7's music format, saying it was underperforming.

"(It) was a dead-end street," he said, noting the station is trying to trade the old format's female-centered audience for a male-centered sports crowd. "Sports talk is a huge, growing business."

Now morning hosts Kirk McEwen and Chris Dingman air from 6 to 9 a.m., followed by Tampa Bay Times columnist Gary Shelton and Justin "The Commish" Pawlowski, who changed from a four-hour show starting at 10 a.m. to a three-hour show airing at 9 a.m.

There are still some hitches. Talk sometimes seems to veer too abruptly from lifestyle topics such as bullying and reality TV to sports, and the whole station doesn't seem to have a unified identity.

Hill counseled patience, saying he didn't expect many more major changes.

"Tampa happens to be a very competitive market for male listeners, but we're not getting antsy," he said. "The station is going to be a lot more in-your-face, and we're ready to compete."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/tvradio/sports-talk-radio-station-987-tries-to-build-the-fans/1276669

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#84 : February 27, 2013, 07:40:48 AM

I like the format and personalities on 98.7 ...the only time I switch to 620 is during the Jim Rome show , and that is simply because Jay Mohr has probably the most amazingly entertaining sports talk radio shows of all time.

Seriously , if you aren't listening to Jay Mohr , you are missing out . Hillarious.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#85 : February 27, 2013, 09:14:51 AM

Booger is terrible. Seriously, I can't be the only person who thinks this guy belongs nowhere near a radio mic.

On the other hand, Dinger is pretty damn good. Seems to be in touch with the average listener.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#86 : February 27, 2013, 11:36:52 AM

I had no idea they were struggling. I like most it except Rome

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

#87 : March 04, 2013, 10:43:09 PM

Booger is terrible. Seriously, I can't be the only person who thinks this guy belongs nowhere near a radio mic.

I think its funny how he always mixes up his phrases and is constantly using malapropisms. Like:

"As the old additive goes, we've got to let the bygons go under the bridge."

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

#88 : March 04, 2013, 10:44:00 PM

I had no idea they were struggling. I like most it except Rome

+1

They say they are already the #1 sports station in the area during one of their intros.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#89 : March 05, 2013, 09:55:59 AM

I think its funny how he always mixes up his phrases and is constantly using malapropisms. Like:

"As the old additive goes, we've got to let the bygons go under the bridge."

His top 5 segment.........absolutely terrible. He's consistent, though, with being equally terrible on each top 5 he does.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 98.7 The Fan « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools