Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earl Campbell: Today’s running backs look average « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #15 : August 03, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »

Ray Lewis use to tee off on that guy every time they played, and Eddie George was a big dude.

LMAO..... yes, he did!! I remember when he took the ball from George.... in a playoff game, i believe. Left George laying face down on the turf.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #16 : August 03, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »

Ray Lewis use to tee off on that guy every time they played, and Eddie George was a big dude.

LMAO..... yes, he did!! I remember when he took the ball from George.... in a playoff game, i believe. Left George laying face down on the turf.
I think Ray Lewis by himself took a couple of years of Eddie George's career.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #17 : August 03, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

And Jim Brown had a bunch of Pro-Bowlers making up his O'line. As did the Packers Jim Taylor. RBs like Earl Campbell, Gale Sayers, and Walter Payton had mediocre O'lines.
   Another difference between now and then was Jim Brown was a FB, as were Jim Taylor, Franco Harris, and Larry Csonka. Very few RB's today are asked to run block for their FB. So many big, fast agile LB's and even DE's, chances are real good the RB loses that matchup...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #18 : August 03, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »

Fellas, can you imagine Barry Sanders back then? 

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #19 : August 03, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »

Fellas, can you imagine Barry Sanders back then?
He would be a 2000 yard back once or twice back then. Good Lord, just imagine Barry Sanders with a decent offensive line. He played with crap all of his career and still was unstoppable.

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

« #20 : August 03, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »

Only on a buccaneer message board does the name BLOUNT show up in this conversation LMAO...blount homers never seem to fail!!  Blount is an average RB but the top tier guys today could've played at anytime in football history. 

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #21 : August 03, 2012, 11:06:46 PM »

Agenda driven drivel.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #22 : August 03, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »

Yes, todays's RB's could have played the style of game they play TODAY back then, but not all of them would've been successful playing the total game as it was played BACK THEN. A very different game back then; for EVERYONE who played it...

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

« #23 : August 03, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »

How is it agenda driven when some BLOUNT homer responds to a thread about the top back in the game today and mentions BLOUNT???  Keep wishing...you have what one more month until reality sets in and BLOUNT is a backup RB in this league!!!

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #24 : August 03, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »

Yes, todays's RB's could have played the style of game they play TODAY back then, but not all of them would've been successful playing the total game as it was played BACK THEN. A very different game back then; for EVERYONE who played it...
How do you think Earl Campbell would do today? I think he still would dish out the punishment but he'll take right back too. I don't think he ever played against 300 + lbs d lineman running 4.9's and 250 lbs athletic linebackers like today.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #25 : August 03, 2012, 11:22:54 PM »

I didn't mention him. Nor would I. But I am willing to bet that if he were to play back then as aRB, he would have put up big numbers. Just a guess.

And who cares?  He will get his volume of the carries. You are just an agenda driven hater. Plain and simple. Deal.

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #26 : August 03, 2012, 11:37:10 PM »

Jim Brown would still be a successful running back in today's NFL, but back in his day, he was a man among boys. Just ridiculous.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
« #27 : August 03, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »

I agree that Jim Brown would be average in today's game but I still have rate him as one of the best of all time regardless. Now Sanders on the other hand, He would still destroy any defense today.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #28 : August 03, 2012, 11:45:16 PM »

I agree that Jim Brown would be average in today's game but I still have rate him as one of the best of all time regardless. Now Sanders on the other hand, He would still destroy any defense today.
Yup. His game is truly timeless.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #29 : August 03, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »

What do you think about if Earl Campbel played today?
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earl Campbell: Today’s running backs look average « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools