Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earl Campbell: Today’s running backs look average « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #30 : August 03, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »

He would be a 1000 yard back IMO.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #31 : August 03, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »

He'd definitely be a 1000 yard back, but I don't think he'd be that unstoppable battering ram he was back then.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

« #32 : August 03, 2012, 11:58:20 PM »

Does anyone think that Doug Martin has the ability to be a top 10 RB in the league in a few years?

I think hes good...but I just don't know if I see that happening.

Maybe its just because I am not used to seeing offensive dominant players in Tampa...but I just feel like we haven't had a decent RB since Warrick and Alstott.

I just hope Blount/Martin can be what was Alstott/Dunn for the time they were together.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #33 : August 04, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »

Does anyone think that Doug Martin has the ability to be a top 10 RB in the league in a few years?

Maybe its just because I am not used to seeing offensive dominant players in Tampa...but I just feel like we haven't had a decent RB since Warrick and Alstott.

I just hope Blount/Martin can be what was Alstott/Dunn for the time they were together.
I think he could be top 10 this year with yards from scrimmage. I don't know how they will call the offense but I think if he's used right he has that ability in the run game and pass game.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #34 : August 04, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »

I wonder what Earl Campbell thinks about the defensive lineman and linebackers of today?

pussies

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #35 : August 04, 2012, 12:38:13 AM »

Only on a buccaneer message board does the name BLOUNT show up in this conversation LMAO...blount homers never seem to fail!!  Blount is an average RB but the top tier guys today could've played at anytime in football history.

Blount has unique physical talent. He's a huge guy with good agility and decent speed.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #36 : August 04, 2012, 12:41:28 AM »

Only on a buccaneer message board does the name BLOUNT show up in this conversation LMAO...blount homers never seem to fail!!  Blount is an average RB but the top tier guys today could've played at anytime in football history.

Blount has unique physical talent. He's a huge guy with good agility and decent speed.
Shhhhhh don't say anything good about him or around here you might be labeled a blind Blount homer.

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #37 : August 04, 2012, 03:09:16 AM »

I think he could be top 10 this year with yards from scrimmage. I don't know how they will call the offense but I think if he's used right he has that ability in the run game and pass game.
He could be top 10 with yards from scrimmage, but that all depends on touches. I just don't see him getting the touches needed...but Schiano might have other plans. Our defense would have to improve significantly and Blount would really have to take a back seat to do that.
« : August 04, 2012, 03:10:49 AM bashear »

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #38 : August 04, 2012, 06:00:23 AM »

I don't believe anyone here is nominating Blount to the HOF just yet, but he does hold the Bucs single season record for average ypc and is tied for career average. The thing that makes that impressive is he accomplished that WITHOUT an offseason program with the team. People still have the balls to criticize him as a blocker and a receiver. Between his college suspension and the lockout it's amazing that he has done as well as he has. Just for the record, his percentage of dropped passes is less than our receivers, and I'll state that as a fact without even looking it up. He would easily have been a thousand yard back if Olson had used him properly. His maturity issues are in the past, and so, hopefully, is the fumbling. He's not ready for Canton but he's making a good case for our ROH in the future.

As for Martin............let's wait until after the Carolina game before we nominate him for anything.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
« #39 : August 04, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »

Jim Brown also ran track and was a winner there.  Lacrosse, same thing.  Baseball, I don't recall and he didn't play basketball.  Every coach in HS and college sought after his skills.  I don't know his speed in track but it was enough for him to set state records that I am not sure have been broken.  I'll see if I can get his stats.  It would be interesting to say the least.  In the off season he swam.  He was ALWAYS in shape!!

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #40 : August 04, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »

sounds like you had the hots for Jim Brown

Juani2

Second String

« #41 : August 04, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »

so whats the top 5 rbs of all time to you guys?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #42 : August 04, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »

Uhhh, absolutely. Martin has almost everything you look for in a RB. He doesn't have blazing speed like Dunn but he can run between the tackles in them short distance at a high success rate. With our offensive line, Martin will have a superb year barring injuries.

I'm willing to bet he gets at least 1,200 yards with 10 tds this year.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #43 : August 04, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

so whats the top 5 rbs of all time to you guys?
My list in no specific order

AP
Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Eric **CENSORED**erson

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #44 : August 04, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

RB's today look much better than older ones, except Sanders, but players at every position look better, the thing is how good would those guys be today if they did the same training that players today do, I can only assume that current training is superior to what they did 40 years ago.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earl Campbell: Today’s running backs look average « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools