Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earl Campbell: Today’s running backs look average « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #60 : August 04, 2012, 11:32:59 PM »

When I rate the running backs, I rate them purely as runners.   Not as receivers or passers.    Ya, Faulk was a great receiver, but so was Larry Centers.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #61 : August 04, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »

Always fun debating a topic where there is no wrong answer.  I'll list my top All-Time RB's for fun:

1.  Barry Sanders
2.  Walter Payton
3.  Marshall Faulk
4.  Emmitt Smith
5.  Adrian Peterson

I'm in the camp that thinks Jim Brown is somewhat overrated because he was just a man among boys in his era, kinda like Bill Russell in basketball.  Still an all-time great, but not the best that ever played.  I'd have Brown right behind Peterson.

Juani2

Second String

« #62 : August 05, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

Always fun debating a topic where there is no wrong answer.  I'll list my top All-Time RB's for fun:

1.  Barry Sanders
2.  Walter Payton
3.  Marshall Faulk
4.  Emmitt Smith
5.  Adrian Peterson

I'm in the camp that thinks Jim Brown is somewhat overrated because he was just a man among boys in his era, kinda like Bill Russell in basketball.  Still an all-time great, but not the best that ever played.  I'd have Brown right behind Peterson.

Whooooa emmitt smith!? I think he's overrated and always had a great line and team but And Peterson already I can't agree with that too early for him

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #63 : August 05, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »

Whooooa emmitt smith!? I think he's overrated and always had a great line and team but And Peterson already I can't agree with that too early for him

Emmitt Smith has become one of the most underrated players in the history of the league.  The dude led the NFL in rushing in four of his first six years, was a first-team All Pro from 1992 - 1995, and rushed for 1,000 yards in eleven (almost thirteen) consecutive seasons.  But the primary knock against Smith isn't his credentials... it's his teammates.

Which is strange, because he left high school as the #2 all-time leading rusher.  Had he stayed for his senior year, he would've left the University of Florida as the SEC's all-time leading rusher.  He retired from the NFL as the all-time leading rusher.  People treat him like a Michael Pittman clone when they talk about his place in history, but Smith was one of the most prolific backs in the history of the game... before he set foot on a professional field.  It makes complete sense that his legendary offensive output would've carried over to the professional circuit, and I'm willing to bet -- given his track record -- that those 18,000 yards weren't a coincidence birthed by the talent of his teammates.

Galen Hall, Jimmy Johnson, and Barry Switzer have been quoted as saying that Smith made his line look better than they were.  Johnson spoke about it on Fox's NFL Sunday two or three years ago saying (and I paraphrase), "Smith took those blockers to the Pro Bowl.  It wasn't the other way around."

When I rate the running backs, I rate them purely as runners.   Not as receivers or passers.    Ya, Faulk was a great receiver, but so was Larry Centers.

I rate an offensive player on his ability to move the football and score points.  Go figure, right?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #64 : August 05, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »

In a sense, that you think Sanders > Payton makes him underrated in my opinion. Payton is easily a top 3 RB in the NFL. He did everything, including pass.

Sanders wasn't the all-around back that Payton was, but I think the was a better runner with comparable talent around him.
Exactly why I don't have Sanders above Payton.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #65 : August 05, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

In a sense, that you think Sanders > Payton makes him underrated in my opinion. Payton is easily a top 3 RB in the NFL. He did everything, including pass.

Sanders wasn't the all-around back that Payton was, but I think the was a better runner with comparable talent around him.
Exactly why I don't have Sanders above Payton.

Payton was an outstanding football player, period.  And really, it's almost a coin flip between him and Sanders, in my opinion.  I'd draft Barry over Walter, but I wouldn't cry if I ended up with either one.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #66 : August 05, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »

I'm kinda old school; love my RB's!
      If you like an elusive back, Gale Sayers was blessed with amazing football instincts and IMO an unequaled ability to stop on a dime, and instantly accelerate in a different direction at near top speed. Sanders was similar, but didn't seem to accelerate as quickly when changing direction.

More highlites and accolades from Deacon Jones and others. Sayers made the HOF despite only really playing FOUR productive years in the NFL. Sadly, not the same explosiveness after a major knee injury, then a 2nd knee injury rendered him ineffective upon an attempted comeback, leading to his retirement.

Power back your cup of tea? Forget the stats; I actually like Mike Alstott better than Earl Campbell, even if I WEREN'T a Bucs fan... Best form I've ever seen from a RB, almost always on balance, making him doubly hard to tackle...
Seen this before, but can never get too much of "The clavicle buster" in action... 

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #67 : August 05, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »

Earl was one of those players that made me really love the game.

He's in my top 5 RB all time.  Easy

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #68 : August 06, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »

I'm kinda old school; love my RB's!
      If you like an elusive back, Gale Sayers was blessed with amazing football instincts and IMO an unequaled ability to stop on a dime, and instantly accelerate in a different direction at near top speed. Sanders was similar, but didn't seem to accelerate as quickly when changing direction.

More highlites and accolades from Deacon Jones and others. Sayers made the HOF despite only really playing FOUR productive years in the NFL. Sadly, not the same explosiveness after a major knee injury, then a 2nd knee injury rendered him ineffective upon an attempted comeback, leading to his retirement.

I'm a huge Buccaneers fan, but I'm equally as big a fan of NFL history.  Gale Sayers was incomparable.  I'm a big supporter.  People talk about what Bo Jackson was able to do in 38 games, and it's NOTHING compared to the career Sayers put together.

[Bo Jackson] played in 38 games.  Which, to be fair, is enough to make the Hall of Fame... if you're Gale Sayers, and put up 5,000 yards and 40 touchdowns, and one of the most electrifying highlight tapes of all time during that span.

Before his knee injury, Sayers averaged 5.33 yards per carry, 101 yards from scrimmage per game, and scored 40 touchdowns.  He held records for most touchdowns scored in a season, and most touchdowns scored in a game.  He was recognized as the most explosive kick returner ever.  He was a four-time first-team All-Pro, and a three-time Pro Bowl selection.

... all that in three and a half seasons.

Sayers, in my opinion, is one of the few players who meets the criteria for the "what if?" game.  At the pace he was on before his knee injury, Sayers would've put up 22,000 all-purpose yards in 10 seasons.  Obviously, it's ridiculous to think he would've maintained that production as he aged, but if you cut the last four of those 10 hypothetical seasons by 50%, that puts him at almost 18,000 APY -- and gives him a 3,000-yard cushion for first place back in 1974.  Eighteen-thousand yards In 10 years.  In a 14-game era.  That's good for a spot on the top-10 in 2012.

Again, I hate playing "what if?" with players, but I think Sayers makes the best case.  He's what Bo Jackson was supposed to be: one of the greatest ever despite a shallow body of work.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #69 : August 06, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »

There's no doubt that Sayers was great.   It's a shame they didn't have the surgical techniques back then that they have now.   

I think I'll still stick with Barry, but definite props to Sayers.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #70 : August 06, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »

Barry was scary.... imagine if he actually played for a good team. Scott Mitchell lol.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #71 : August 06, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »

I always wondered what damage Barry Sanders would've done if he played for Marino's Dolphins.  Take the game out of Sanders's hands.  Take him out of the defense's crosshairs.  Put him on one of the most prolific passing offenses ever.  Good ****ing game.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Earl Campbell: Today’s running backs look average « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools