Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roger Goodell OK with scab refs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
: August 05, 2012, 03:07:24 PM

Some have said that Goodell is being hypocritical about player safety if he's "okay" with high school replacement refs. Question is, will the replacement refs maintain the new standard of protecting players against illegal hits?

---------------------------------------------------------

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he is comfortable with the idea of using replacement officials in preseason games.

The Hall of Fame Game is Sunday and there is no end in sight to the labor dispute between the NFL and its officials.

One person familiar with contract talks between the league and the locked out officials said Tuesday, "I'm 99.9 percent sure replacements will work (the Hall of Fame Game) in Canton."

The two sides made little if any progress during their last round of negotiations Friday, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Even if the two sides were able to strike a last-minute deal, replacements still would be expected to work Sunday's game between the New Orleans Saints and Arizona Cardinals.

Replacement officials were on the field during practice Wednesday and are expected to stay in Green Bay through Friday's "Family Night" scrimmage.

Goodell said he doesn't think using officials with less experience will pose a safety risk to players.

"That's why we've been training them for the last two months and why they're on the field now, is to make sure they're prepared, they understand the rules," Goodell said during a visit to Green Bay's training camp.

Members of the NFL Referees Association were locked out in June after talks broke down.

"We are in discussions with them," Goodell said. "We've had discussions recently. Hopefully, we'll have more discussions with them in the near future. But as you can see, we're preparing for the season and we will have officials on the field. We hope that the officials from last season will be on the field again this year but to date, we haven't been able to get an agreement that makes sense for both parties."

Goodell said the main emphasis in negotiations from the league's perspective was to find ways to improve officiating.

"We proposed an idea where we could have another 21 officials so we could help train them and have a deeper pool of officials and be able to potentially move them in and out," Goodell said. "And that's something that we're discussing with the officials. But the whole issue is, how do we continue to improve the officials?"

The purpose for the proposed pool of additional officials hasn't been clearly defined, but it could become a way for the league to promote and demote officials based on their performance.

Goodell said the league also has offered officials a pay raise as part of negotiations.

"Of course, they're interested in compensation and benefits, we understand that," Goodell said. "We've made a proposal we think is fair, with an increase. It's five to 11 percent per official. We think we've been responsive on that, and hopefully we can get something done."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy says he doesn't have any concerns about the use of replacement officials.

"To me, it's something that everybody has to deal with," McCarthy said. "(Supervisor of officials) Ed Coukart is here with the new officials; they worked practice today. We will spend some time tomorrow with the officials in our meetings as we have done annually. We're just moving forward. We're getting ready to play games and it's a business issue. As we know from the past, those things will get worked out, and we're just focused on our football team."

Packers players generally seemed unaware of the ongoing labor dispute or the presence of replacement officials; the team usually has a group of local officials, generally with high school experience, present during practice.

"I really don't pay much attention to those guys, other than the fact that I noticed none of them looked familiar," guard T.J. Lang said. "Talking about the refs, I don't really know what their situation is, so I can't really speak on that. But whoever they have in there, I'm sure they're going to get them coached up."

Joked linebacker Desmond Bishop, "I had no idea about that. I was too focused on John Madden out there."

The former Raiders coach and broadcasting icon also was at practice Wednesday.

Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs said Wednesday he could see an upside to the NFL having to use replacement officials -- the game could be more physical.

Briggs thought if the NFL had to use college officials as replacements they may not be up to speed on the NFL rules and would tend to officiate by the college game's rules.

"You can be a little more physical at the college level than you can be at the NFL level," Briggs told the "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000. "Maybe we'll get to be little more aggressive again."

Meanwhile, Goodell also was asked about recent comments from Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy, who said at last week's shareholders meeting that he couldn't support an 18-game regular-season schedule because of health and safety concerns.

"We haven't had any discussion about it," Goodell said. "Our view was, we were going to have to go through a full cycle of the offseason, training camp. We'll obviously be done with that shortly and then we'll get back to really analyzing it and trying to say, 'What are the positives and negatives about it?' "

Goodell said he was not sure if the league has received an application for reinstatement from former Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly, who is suspended indefinitely for violations of the league's substance abuse policy.

And with three Packers players -- defensive linemen Anthony Hargrove and Mike Neal, along with linebacker Erik Walden -- all facing league suspensions once the regular season starts, Goodell was asked whether he sees a trend developing from recent reports of player misconduct.

"Fortunately, the vast majority of our players are terrific," Goodell said. "They do the right things on and off the field. And that's what we encourage. We have rules, we have policies, we want to make sure those are held to the highest standards, because we think our fans deserve it. And so If there's a violation or there's a trend, there's consequences for that."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8222552/roger-goodell-comfortable-replacement-referees
: August 26, 2012, 02:39:03 PM Morgan

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#1 : August 05, 2012, 04:18:29 PM

Dallas Clark on replacement refs: 'Whats going on?'

Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end Dallas Clark was asked Thursday if he is concerned about the league's lockout of the NFL Referees Association and the planned use of replacement officials starting this Sunday in the Hall of Fame game.

Clark's reaction?

"I did not know this. What's going on?"

"Absolutely. It's a fast game and that's why you see your officials that have been around for 20 (years), the reason they're good is because they've been doing it for that long. ... That's one of those things that you never want to say that refs win or lose games or things like that. But in a situation like that, who knows what could happen with certain situations of a game that they might not handle it correctly."

Clark probably has a lot on his mind considering he's adjusting to a new team after nine seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

But here's what others are saying about the NFL's use of replacement officials:[/b]

Roger Goodell, NFL commissioner: "We are in discussions with (the regular officials). We've had discussions recently. Hopefully, we'll have more discussions in the near future. But we're preparing for the season, and we will have officials on the field. We hope the officials from last season will be on the field again this year but we haven't been able to get an agreement that makes sense for both parties."

Ronde Barber, Bucs safety: "I don't think many guys have even considered it. I really haven't. I guess that'll show once we start playing, especially in the preseason -- if we're getting the same calls, if the action is affected any way by those guys. I don't think that they can't do their jobs. There might be some unfamiliarity with all the NFL rules, but I trust that the product won't be affected because of it.

Kyle Vanden Bosch, Lions DE: "It's hard for guys who've been officiating for 10, 12, 15 years in the NFL to get it right, and there's so much going on and so many rules changes that it'll be difficult if there's guys that have no experience coming in and officiating games. You don't want mistakes. I'm not saying guys that might come in won't be qualified or able, but you can see these guys that have been around 15, 20 years miss calls. To have new people that don't necessarily really know how to call things or see the right things, it would be difficult."

Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals WR: "I'm not concerned at all, although I'll love 'em a lot more if they call more penalties on the Saints than us."

John Mara, Giants co-owner: "We'd all like to see it settled, but it's got to be the right deal for both sides and until that happens, we're going to have to play with replacement officials.''

Tom Coughlin, Giants coach: "You have to worry. But you have to help them and give them the benefit of the doubt. A lot has been said about them coming into camp, putting them on the field, letting them work as much as they can. Let's help them as best we can because if that's the way it's got to be, they have the responsibility. In the business we're in, they have to get the majority right.''

Eli Manning, Giants QB: "It's not the ideal situation if it works out that way. We'll keep hoping for the best. Right now, we have to worry about playing good football.''

Mike Shanahan, Redskins coach: "I've been through it before. I don't worry about things I can't control. The NFL's going to do whatever it can do to put us in the best situation. I'm sure they'll get (a deal) done. When? I don't know."

Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants DE: "The whole game of football has changed. There are too many rules. At the end of the day, it's all to protect the players.''

Ken Whisenhunt, Cardinals coach: "I really haven't thought much about it. I'm sure the league is doing whatever they can. They have a plan. We had officials in here last week (for the scrimmage) and they did a good job."

Chris Canty, Giants DT: "It's obviously something that you'd like to have resolved as a player, especially with player safety being a concern. "Obviously, the NFL has confidence that the replacement officials can step in and do a good job. But there are some things an experienced NFL official is going to see that a rookie who hasn't officiated at this level might not catch."

Mark Herzlich, Giants LB: "These guys will do all the preseason games to get ready. More than anything, they might be a little more cautious and call more, maybe, than some of the veteran officials.''

Justin Tuck, Giants DE: "Maybe we'll get some holding calls. Wishful thinking.''

Jerry Jones, Cowboys owner: "I don't have a concern, because the officials are going to be the same for both teams. If they have adjustments, then they're making adjustments for both teams. As long as they're not calling it one way for one side and another way for the other, I'm happy. Somebody might say, 'You're not going to get as many calls.' Well, what's wrong with that? I don't think there's any issue as far as the quality of our game."

Chris Cooley, Redskins TE: "I feel things always tend to drag to the last minute, and people find a way to work things out. When it comes down to it, both parties want to get (a deal) done. If you compare an NFL game to a college game, that's the kind of officials you're getting. It's such a jump. It's imperative that you have professionals, when you're on the professional level."

Mike McCarthy, Packers coach: "We have no concern because, to me, it's something everybody has to deal with. We will spend some time with the officials in our meetings as we have done annually. We're just moving forward. We're getting ready to play games and it's a business issue. As we know from the past, those things will get worked out, and we're just focused on our football team."

Carl Nicks, Bucs guard: They're going to be coached-up well, they're going to study and they're going to be capable of calling plays just like the old refs. Obviously, experience does matter but there are rookies who come in this league every year. Why can't there be rookie refs? Football is football, at the end of the day. It might be a little faster, it might be a little bigger, but football is football, from Little League to here."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/08/dallas-clark-replacement-referees/1#.UB7UcKD-23a

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 05, 2012, 04:20:29 PM

Paul Kuharsky@espn_afcsouth

#NFL replacement officials working #Jaguars practice are pitiful. Pending disaster for league if no settlement.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 05, 2012, 04:57:14 PM

If Dallas knew the track record of bad calls going against the Bucs, he'd be ok with replacements.

Pretty big difference of opinions between Barber and Clark. Probably because the league was in love with Manning, while the Bucs were getting stiffed.

I do know one thing... K2 almost HAS to be ok with it...

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 05, 2012, 05:02:32 PM

Defense = relishing the possibility of dishing out hits with impunity.

Offense = worried about the possibility of being hit without protection of league rules.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 05, 2012, 08:09:28 PM

Offense = worried about the possibility of being hit without protection of league rules.

But what if it ends up the other way around?

I mean, I'm still confused as to when you can hit a WR.... ::)

(Starting to think DBs should all pull "Kerrigans" before the game. No penalties  ;))

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 05, 2012, 08:13:48 PM

I'm almost looking forward to seeing the 3-ring circus that high school refs will bring to the preseason games and the fans' reaction to their calls. It'll be a sideshow. Hopefully they'll work out a contract by game one of the regular season. Scab umps in the past didn't work for MLB. Don't think scab refs can do a good job in the NFL.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 05, 2012, 08:18:58 PM

This isn't the first issue between the league and the refs.  And last time the replacement guys didn't hurt the game a damned bit.  They seemed to realize they shouldn't be the stars of the show.  Now get the "regular" refs to understand that...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

youngone

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 05, 2012, 08:27:13 PM

So no Ed Hochuli and the gun show?
: August 05, 2012, 08:34:30 PM youngone

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 05, 2012, 08:29:13 PM

The regular guys screw up calls.
I'm sure the back ups can't do any worse.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 05, 2012, 08:35:15 PM

I'm almost looking forward to seeing the 3-ring circus that high school refs will bring to the preseason games and the fans' reaction to their calls. It'll be a sideshow. Hopefully they'll work out a contract by game one of the regular season. Scab umps in the past didn't work for MLB. Don't think scab refs can do a good job in the NFL.

For what it's worth. I saw an article on espn that said the refs intentions were to mostly "let them play."

IDK if it would cause more injury, speed the game up, or cause more confusion.

People use the expression that even a blind man would've made the right call. Well, we're about to find out if that is indeed true or not.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 05, 2012, 08:36:49 PM

Don't think the refs could be much worse than the crap that was out there the past few years.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 06, 2012, 02:53:31 PM

heard on Rome that they botched the coin-toss last night....good start.

Yensumi

Practice Squad

#13 : August 06, 2012, 03:08:59 PM

Is there any way Goodell can get fired. He is an absolutely ruining the game of football one step at a time.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 06, 2012, 03:22:38 PM

Was Goodell replaced too? I thought he imposed the fines. And I wouldn't be suprised if he sent a memo out to all teams expressing the increase in fines for such hits if there is even a hint of it in preseason.

For dozens of other reasons I can understand the concern for replacement refs, but not safety. If a dirty player wants to hit another player, he'll find a way to do it no matter who the ref is. No ref can stop a hit, only penalize yardage after it.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roger Goodell OK with scab refs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools