Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Bucs Need Blount « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 10, 2012, 01:33:56 AM

If I'm Schiano, I'm letting Blount play it out before stripping his #1 status. I would still find a way to get Hamster the ball at least 5-6 times per game.

If we are a run first team like everyone says, it doesn't matter who starts. Both guys will get 10 to 15 touches per game.

Logically, from what we've heard, sure.

Theoretically speaking however, I don't believe Schiano will run anywhere near as often as advertised though. Here is why I think that.

1. You don't pay a WR the big Bucs just to throw off the defense so you can run.. you use him too. Especially when all of the divisional opponents CBs are nearly a foot shorter and slower.
2. Martin was drafted, not just because of the way he runs, but that he can catch and block well also.
3. Why get rid of a TE that has NEVER been able to post a decent block, only to bring in Dallas Clark (who is well known for his catching ability)?
4. Schiano is supposed to be of the "BB mold." IF that is true, he's doing nothing but blowing smoke. No need for the opposition to already have that info on-hand for months ahead of time.
5. Schiano and Sullivan have to believe that the WR's and Freeman are much better than what last season showed.
6. Schiano likes the two-back system (in the NFL), but has mentioned about A workhorse back. Being that it is the first year for him, the new staff, and some of the brought-in players, I doubt he's just going to lay it on the RB's shoulders right away.

This is just what I think. I could be totally wrong. Then again, that is what is making this so exciting for me.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : August 10, 2012, 06:45:11 AM

The average number of offensive plays run per game by each team is 60-70. Last year we only averaged 56. We were last in the league with 21 rushes per game average, and Freeman averaged 37 pass attempts per game...so we only averaged 58 offensive plays per game. Hard to succeed when you're running less plays than everyone else. Compare our 21 rushing attempts to the top rushing teams, who average 35 per game, and it's easy to see we can greatly increase our rushing attempts.

My point is, if we can sustain drives instead of constantly going three and out, we can average 60-70 offensive snaps per game like everyone else and run the ball 30 times a game and still throw it 30+ times too. It's not like 30 runs per game means we only throw the ball 15 times or anything.

Also, Freeman's 37 pass attempts per game ranked 7th in the league. Only guys to throw more were Brees, Brady, Manning, Ryan, and Stafford. Do we really need Freeman to be throwing the ball that much? I think not. That isn't our game. The only reason for his attempts to be that high is because we are always losing badly and trying to catch up.

30 rushes and 30 passes per game is ideal...which means there are plenty of touches for both Martin and Blount.

: August 10, 2012, 06:46:55 AM JDouble

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 10, 2012, 07:24:58 AM

Theoretically speaking however, I don't believe Schiano will run anywhere near as often as advertised though. Here is why I think that.

i agree.  he also went out and hired a kevin gilbride assistant.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Bucs Need Blount « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools