Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Honey Badger kicked off Tigers. So what does he do, and how does it impact his « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

buchead

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 10, 2012, 02:36:46 PM

Jenkins 2.0

Mathieu is an elite blitzer and ballhawk, but he's a liability in coverage.  He's essentially a 180lb strong side linebacker.  Had he stayed with LSU, he probably wouldn't have gone that high in the draft; his skillset didn't really translate to the NFL.

Im going to preface this by saying I havent seen him play that much so I can only discribe his play as electric. Why do you say his game doesnt translate to the league. Going by your discription he sounds like Asante Samuels. A good zone scheme CB. And if his covereage skills are literally that bad, then why cant he play safety? If you asked someone to describe a safety, the description might be something along the lines of what you described. 180-220 pound Linebacker thats a good blitzer and a ballhawk. So why exactly does his game not translate?

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#16 : August 10, 2012, 02:38:02 PM

Glad we steered clear of that LSU guy and picked Barron.  Not impressed w/ the way LSU transition :stars" transition into the NFL.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 10, 2012, 02:38:56 PM

Just say NO to the Honey Badger in the first two rounds. He is no Janoris Jenkins as a cover corner. Meaning his upside as a #1 CB doesn't exist. Jenkins was able to cover A.J Green, Alshon Jeffery, etc.... Badger would make a fine nickel CB though in the NFL.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 10, 2012, 02:39:09 PM

I guess the Honey Badger...................Just didn't give a F*ck! 8)

D'OHOHOHOH!
Are you bypassing the censor Mod Beetles?  D'ohohohoh!

And no, he didn't care enough, and he had a good thing and tossed it away.

Curious to see what happens to him...
it was a pun.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 10, 2012, 04:49:26 PM

I'd bet the house it was dirty urine.
Either way if he stays in the sec, or even the acc, and continues to produce, his draft stock shouldn't drop.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 10, 2012, 05:41:47 PM

Jenkins 2.0

Mathieu is an elite blitzer and ballhawk, but he's a liability in coverage.  He's essentially a 180lb strong side linebacker.  Had he stayed with LSU, he probably wouldn't have gone that high in the draft; his skillset didn't really translate to the NFL.

Im going to preface this by saying I havent seen him play that much so I can only discribe his play as electric. Why do you say his game doesnt translate to the league. Going by your discription he sounds like Asante Samuels. A good zone scheme CB. And if his covereage skills are literally that bad, then why cant he play safety? If you asked someone to describe a safety, the description might be something along the lines of what you described. 180-220 pound Linebacker thats a good blitzer and a ballhawk. So why exactly does his game not translate?

We are assuming it's drugs, like to see exactly what he was kicked off for.  Comparing him to Jenkins is a stretch I think, Jenkins was heading into Pac Man Jones terrority.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 10, 2012, 06:10:34 PM

i was not impressed with the honey badger in the BCS game.  but he did make some serious highlight plays throughout the season.  i dont think his game translates that well, but im no expert thats for sure.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 10, 2012, 06:21:48 PM

I'd bet the house it was dirty urine.
Either way if he stays in the sec, or even the acc, and continues to produce, his draft stock shouldn't drop.

His 3rd violation apparently since LSU's in house athletic department policy is not to discipline until the second failed test and he's been disciplined once so this is strike 3...at least.

Doesn't seem like a top notch coverage guy at all. Dangerous return man for sure not sure he's a guy you want in coverage on NFL players.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 10, 2012, 06:31:32 PM

Jenkins 2.0

The problem with comparing him to Asante Samuel is you'd be comparing him to Asante Samuel the NFL player, not the college player. Now my memory gets hazy when talking early 2000's UCF football, but Samuel was presumably a decent college cover CB. Then once he got to the NFL it was determined he wasn't good enough to be a cover guy there so he became an off-man CB. Mathieu isn't even good enough to be a cover guy in college.

As for converting him to safety, well there aren't many 5'8" 180 lb safeties in the NFL, other than the the one the Bucs already have on the roster.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 10, 2012, 06:33:17 PM

Dude is a serious threat with the ball in his hands......he was a 2nd rounder before....now maybe a 3rd. Someone will take a flyer ala Janoris Jenkins.
Jenkins had a much more valuable NFL skill as an elite cover CB. Mathieu doesn't have nearly as elite of a skill set to make teams overlook any of his issues. It would be like if instead of Randy Moss having world class speed and great hands, he was just a good blocker. No one would put up with him for that.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 10, 2012, 06:42:19 PM

That 5'8" thing is also a problem since with a lot of the big time WRs (Andre, Megatron, Julio, Colston) even if he could "cover" them they'd still be open.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 10, 2012, 06:47:58 PM

Is it possible to be a ballhawking liability in coverage?

It's a size issue.  Alabama beat his ass in the National Championship because they forced him out of his zone and into man-to-man coverage, throwing deep and outside over his head.  He doesn't have the height or the length to make up lost ground.  Darius Hanks, a 5-11 receiver who ran a 4.56 forty yard dash, was able to best Mathieu -- a Heisman trophy candidate -- on these deep outside routes from the slot.

I've heard that LSU's scheme called for inside positioning from each corner position.  That might explain some of Mathieu's struggles.  But I don't put a lot of faith in a 5-8 175lb defender who, essentially, played strongside linebacker in the NCAA.

I see him more as a safety than a corner in the NFL.  I could totally picture him playing that 2008 Troy Polamalu "roam" position that the Steelers perfected.  Just have him stalk random portions of the field and cover short routes.  But ideally, you'd like your defensive backs to have the ability to match up consistently in man-to-man.  I wouldn't draft Mathieu in the first three rounds, because I'm not sure he's capable.
: August 10, 2012, 06:50:00 PM Blaze688

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 10, 2012, 06:53:06 PM

That 5'8" thing is also a problem since with a lot of the big time WRs (Andre, Megatron, Julio, Colston) even if he could "cover" them they'd still be open.

This is exactly right.  Can you imagine him on an Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham?

"Cover the middle of the field Tyrann.  Yeah.  Number 80.  The 6-7 tight end who's faster than you, stronger than you, and has 38.5-inch vertical leap.  Good luck."

TheQ

Starter

#28 : August 10, 2012, 06:54:35 PM

What a dumb azz ...the riches of the NFL await you and you just piss it away.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 10, 2012, 06:55:23 PM

This is exactly right.  Can you imagine him on an Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham?

"Cover the middle of the field Tyrann.  Yeah.  Number 80.  The 6-7 tight end who's faster than you, stronger than you, and has 38.5-inch vertical leap.  Good luck."

Well yeah the matchups with him as an S are even worse plus he's 180 lbs so I doubt he's gonna be much of a player in the middle. He's got slot/nickle CB body and WLB coverage skills.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Honey Badger kicked off Tigers. So what does he do, and how does it impact his « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools