Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Smith.......108 yards on two returns « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

PewterReportDL

Starter
#30 : August 11, 2012, 03:40:10 PM

I still like Madu better.  Smith has fine straight line speed but he's not very good as a RB.  Reminds me of when we had Michael Bennett

Have you ever seen him play aside from last night?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 11, 2012, 03:43:09 PM

I still like Madu better.  Smith has fine straight line speed but he's not very good as a RB.  Reminds me of when we had Michael Bennett

Just vids from college.  I liked Turbin pre-draft so I spent some time watching them

PewterReportDL

Starter
#32 : August 11, 2012, 03:45:37 PM

Just vids from college.  I liked Turbin pre-draft so I spent some time watching them

Not real sure why you don't think he's a good RB then, but at least you watched him. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 11, 2012, 03:46:54 PM

Anyone who wonders how he was caught from behind must have been watching a different game.  Twice while breaking tackles he came to a near halt, then had to restart.   It's really not complicated.    He is as fast as advertised.

This . +1

I'll have to watch the replay but at the time I thought dam the Dolphins ST's can't tackle. Don't remember him coming to a near halt either... Regardless, it's only one game, if he had 0 yards on returns or 300 we need more then one game to anoint him our starting KR. The 5th string RB (yea I don't even know his name) flashed more then Madu or Smith did at RB.
: August 11, 2012, 03:51:44 PM XFactor

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 11, 2012, 03:47:36 PM

Why does Smith have to be a great RB?  We have LGB and Martin, use Smith for return duties and the occasional mop up run and all is good.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 11, 2012, 04:04:03 PM

He doesn't have to be great but show you can do it. I don't want another Lumpkin who can't run the ball if his life depended on it. Supposively he's been doing well in camp so who knows. I hope we get to see him have a few runs behind the first Oline next week.
: August 11, 2012, 04:06:27 PM BucBalla85

geetech84

Starter

#36 : August 11, 2012, 04:11:58 PM

I think we will need to see him run the ball better for him to stick with the team. I know Parker messed up that punt return with the fumble and Smith did well returning but Parker can still make plays on the field. Hes proven that. Until we see that Smith can run the ball well I think Parker will return kicks. Smith will go on the practice squad I think.

He wouldn't last 2 days on it before another team tried to pick him up. Smith runs the ball fine at practice behind the starting OLine. More than likely, you won't see him do that in preseason games.

You right about that one. Smith will not last on the practice squad, " I say he wont even make it to our practice squad" some team will grab him up if he gets cut... Smith makes the team as the 3rd back, I think Madu doesn't make the team..I like Madu, but we have Martin..and Smith can be more valuable to the Buc's then Madu,  as a PR/KR. Smith, can be a different change of pace for the Bucs. Smith with his speed and his good hands, he is a good blocker as well..

Blount and Martin as our 1,2 and Smith comes in to change things up..Bucs will use Smith, how the Saiths use,Darren Sproles.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 11, 2012, 04:23:47 PM

Why does Smith have to be a great RB?  We have LGB and Martin, use Smith for return duties and the occasional mop up run and all is good.

The man is a weapon. He is faster than either one of them. It would be a shame to not make use of his abilities and develop his skills. Depth has always been an issue at RB for the Bucs. With Smith in the mix, it might not have to be. He averaged 7.1 ypc in college. I stress AVERAGED, and that was not just a small sample. We now have a coaching staff of teachers who should take full advantage of their opportunity with Mike Smith. I believe we have most of the elements we need for an outstanding ground attack, and Mike Smith is one of them.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 11, 2012, 04:24:25 PM

Anyone who wonders how he was caught from behind must have been watching a different game.  Twice while breaking tackles he came to a near halt, then had to restart.   It's really not complicated.    He is as fast as advertised.

BS. He "restarted" at the Bucs 30 and was caught inside the Dolphins 30......You're telling me he cant get up to top speed in 40+ yards...not buying it. He showed less than advertised speed/acceleration.

Where did I say he reached top speed?   That was the whole point.  He had to restart......the defender that caught him did not.    That's why he was caught.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 11, 2012, 05:59:12 PM

BS. He "restarted" at the Bucs 30 and was caught inside the Dolphins 30......You're telling me he cant get up to top speed in 40+ yards...not buying it. He showed less than advertised speed/acceleration.

Where did I say he reached top speed?   That was the whole point.  He had to restart......the defender that caught him did not.    That's why he was caught.

He did not have to restart...that implies that he was at nearly a complete stop, he wasn't. His forward momentum was still full steam ahead. He was caught because the other guy was clearly faster. Could it have been fatigue...maybe...but, last night, Smith was not faster than the dude who ran him down.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 11, 2012, 06:00:22 PM

I caught most of the game, but not all. Was he used in the passing game at all? That's where I believe his talent will be best utilized, on screens and then a hand off here and there. As others have stated, the guy was running behind reserve linemen, his performance will obviously improve running behind our starters.

Btw, on LB's scoring drive, the hole Nicks created on third down was a thing of beauty. Blount didn't score but he should have, as Lynch pointed out. Nicks took out the entire right side of Miami's D-line by himself.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#41 : August 11, 2012, 07:47:08 PM

He did not have to restart...that implies that he was at nearly a complete stop, he wasn't. His forward momentum was still full steam ahead. He was caught because the other guy was clearly faster. Could it have been fatigue...maybe...but, last night, Smith was not faster than the dude who ran him down.

PR stated Smith broke four tackles on that return, so even if he can't outrun every DB he faces, at least he can break multiple attempted tackles. I'm OK with that.

I'm guessing the defender had somewhat of an angle on him, or maybe Smith was just tired from breaking FOUR tackles.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 11, 2012, 08:23:15 PM

I prefer Smith over Madu if I had to pick one.. To me it seems  that Madu goes down at first contact everytime. Smith showed a lot of ability to break tackles last night.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 11, 2012, 09:55:35 PM

One of Smith's biggest knocks in college was his inability to break tackles.  It's one of the reasons he wasn't the starter.  We'll see if last night was an anomaly or if he has upped his game.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 12, 2012, 11:06:50 AM

it was a nice return and I'm intrigued by the guy but count me in with those who were disappointed to see him caught from behind.
: August 12, 2012, 11:36:12 AM rpc1978
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Smith.......108 yards on two returns « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools