Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking to buy a new laptop.(BIGGS Edition) « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#60 : November 05, 2012, 04:47:22 PM

I'm gonna piggyback your thread Boid:

The wife wants a laptop with 1 TB of Hard Drive capacity and around 8GB of memory.  Any suggestions?

If you have ruled out "trading her in"...what's the most you wanna spend?

I'm not opposed to trading her in, but let's try for the cheapest thing I can get.  She will only be using this for storing and editing pictures.
First - I wouldn't get the laptop unless I had to - then I would go apple - just too easy and dependable.  Bought laptops for my kids and wife - and over the last several (3-5) years NO issues.  Great satisfaction - including videos.   And my desktop (for lack of a better term) has provided 5 years or reliably outstanding use.   

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#61 : November 06, 2012, 11:47:04 AM

Would not own an Apple product.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#62 : November 06, 2012, 05:39:16 PM

Biggs, would suggest that if money is tight then buy a laptop with best memory and processor and accept the HD that it comes with. Buy an external 1 TB drive ( pretty bloody cheap) and get her to store everything on the ex HD and just use the laptop to run the programs. It also means that if the laptop goes bang or gets nicked at any stage then the ex HD can just be plugged into any new machine fairly easily.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#63 : November 06, 2012, 06:38:32 PM

Would not own an Apple product.

I wonder why.....Maybe you run application (s) that are not available on the OSX format?

Apple makes amazing products. My house filled w/ them. Cost a little more but it's worth the extra money. I have two or three friends that are thrilled that I turned them on to Macs.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#64 : November 06, 2012, 06:46:01 PM

I'm gonna piggyback your thread Boid:

The wife wants a laptop with 1 TB of Hard Drive capacity and around 8GB of memory.  Any suggestions?

If you have ruled out "trading her in"...what's the most you wanna spend?

I'm not opposed to trading her in, but let's try for the cheapest thing I can get.  She will only be using this for storing and editing pictures.
First - I wouldn't get the laptop unless I had to - then I would go apple - just too easy and dependable.  Bought laptops for my kids and wife - and over the last several (3-5) years NO issues.  Great satisfaction - including videos.  And my desktop (for lack of a better term) has provided 5 years or reliably outstanding use.

Not surprised by any of that. Reliable and they function flawlessly.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#65 : November 06, 2012, 06:58:54 PM

Two words: proprietary bull**CENSORED**.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#66 : November 06, 2012, 07:27:46 PM

Dunno about that. All the Macs I see feature the same connectivity as an IBM clone.

Sure it's a proprietary build but so are most PC laptops.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#67 : November 06, 2012, 08:27:13 PM

Biggs, would suggest that if money is tight then buy a laptop with best memory and processor and accept the HD that it comes with. Buy an external 1 TB drive ( pretty bloody cheap) and get her to store everything on the ex HD and just use the laptop to run the programs. It also means that if the laptop goes bang or gets nicked at any stage then the ex HD can just be plugged into any new machine fairly easily.

That will probably be what I'll do.  It's not a money thing, it's just she wants this specifically for pictures and videos.  She's got three devices she uses (spoiled) but the memory is eat up on all of them.  It's pretty absurd, but it's her thing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#68 : November 06, 2012, 09:51:48 PM

APPLE is the only way to go

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#69 : November 06, 2012, 10:18:15 PM

APPLE is the only way to go

Lots of limitation with apple... In most cases its style over substance

Less problems though

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#70 : November 06, 2012, 10:20:27 PM

Ill take DJ programs, and video editing on my PC all day. Adobe Premier, pro-tools, fruity loops all run better on PC and are superior programs to the Apple counterparts

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#71 : November 07, 2012, 05:55:26 PM

Tripblood.. not if you buy parallels and install windows..

The hardware is just better.

I bought one apple PC 3 years ago and since have switched all my personal stuff and work stuff to apple.

everything just WORKS!
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking to buy a new laptop.(BIGGS Edition) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools