Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MJD « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

JDouble

Hall of Famer
MJD
: August 22, 2012, 08:00:44 AM

This isn't a thread about how the Bucs should trade for MJD. I think we are good at running back. (feels great to say that)

This is just a general thread about MJD and the Jags new owner Kahn. I'm curious to see how you all feel about it. Personally I think MJD has proven himself to be the best running back in the league, and he is the ONLY star on that entire team. He accounts for over 50% of their offense, and they have a young QB who sucks rocks. So when you have Adrian Peterson averaging $13M a year, of course MJD isn't going to be happy averaging $6M a year. Everyone knows that running backs have short careers. If you become the best in the league, you can't afford to wait around a few years for a new contract because you'll likely be pass your prime by then. It's funny how players are the bad guys for holding out and demanding a new contract when they clearly outplay their current contract, but if they don't live up to the contract they are expected to take a pay cut or they are fired with no questions asked. So the player is expected to respect the contract and see it out to the end, but the team isn't? I don't blame MJD at all for holding out and I think Kahn is an idiot for not getting a deal done. At this point I think they should just trade him and get some top picks or players from a team that can appreciate that he is a once in a decade player that deserves to get paid. It's sad to see such great talent rot away in Jacksonville anyways.

What say you?

Draft Aaron Donald

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 22, 2012, 08:05:43 AM

I've never been a fan of the hold-out, that's why you sign the contract!

Players want the security of the long term contract and that's fine, but that also means you don't get a new contract when your worth to the team changes. If you want the ability to sign a new deal every couple years you should sign a 2 year deal. No one does because injury would screw a lot of guys.

I'm fine with him holding out for more money ONLY if in another 3 years when his skills are starting to slide they lock him out until he cuts his contract.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 22, 2012, 08:07:45 AM

i say they are all idiots for drawing lines in the sand.  get a deal done.  compromise.  i agree now its best to trade him.  but he's not a once a decade player imo.  he is a great RB, but there are a lot of them.  at the end of the day though, you signed that contract - play that contract.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 22, 2012, 08:23:52 AM

Personally I feel that he signed a front loaded contract so he should play it out for at least another year.  MJD is a stud no doubt but it's not like he can make the Jags a playoff team all by himself.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 22, 2012, 08:24:44 AM

but he's not a once a decade player

I beg to differ. I don't like the Jags but I watch most of their games just to see MJD. This guy is on a team with no passing game what so ever. Teams always put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run and he still destroys them.

I mean this guy has been asked to run the ball just under 1000 times in the last three seasons. They are literally running him into the ground and taking years off of his career. He has answered by averaging 1400 yards rushing every year. Plus another 350 a year receiving.  Nobody in the NFL touches the ball more than MJD. He deserves the money.

Draft Aaron Donald

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#5 : August 22, 2012, 08:28:22 AM

If I'm MJD this is as much about the contract as it is about the piss poor team around him. He is the best in the league at what he does, yet Brandon Jacobs has a ring????

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 22, 2012, 08:35:08 AM

MJD came into the league as a RB.  played 3 years.  then signed a 5 year deal in 2009.  now he wants his 3rd deal?  what was he thinking signing a 5 year deal?

he's good and hes stayed healthy.   but AP destroys defenses.  CJ destroys defenses.  many guys destroy defenses and bad teams.  MJD is a great RB, but once a decade is hyperbole to me.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 22, 2012, 08:43:38 AM

He signed his deal a few years back and now he just needs to get to camp and STFU.

Also, since you brought it up...I think the jury is still out on Gabbert. He was a rookie last year with no offseason(some like to use that excuse for Freeman...so it defintely should apply to a rookie QB)...and he basically had little to work with in the receiving game. Now, Im not saying that he will even be a QB who is in the top 20 in the league...Im just saying that I dont think he can be given the stamp of death just based upon last year alone. What is it you always say about year 5, Jdub? Did Freeman not look terrible his rookie year?

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 22, 2012, 09:08:06 AM

Kahn told him the train is leaving........run fast and get onboard.........He's scheduled to get $4.9mil this season........maybe he's worth twice that, but not in Jacksonville.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 22, 2012, 09:09:00 AM

Not a fan of this holdout.  He's under contract for 2 more years.  If he's making 6 mil a year then I hardly feel bad for the guy.  He is set financially for life.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 22, 2012, 09:17:03 AM

Not a fan of this holdout.  He's under contract for 2 more years.  If he's making 6 mil a year then I hardly feel bad for the guy.  He is set financially for life.

He makes base of 4.45 this year and 4.95 next season.  Deal was a 5 yr 30.95mil contract with 17.5mil guaranteed and 9 mill signing bonus.  S

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 22, 2012, 09:18:21 AM

I support MJD's right to hold out and I support Khan's right to tell him to pound sand. But at the end of the day, for as long as MJD has been Jacksonville's best player on offense, they've only had a winning record once. They can suck with him and they can suck without him. I would never let my franchise be bent over by a running back in today's passing league.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 22, 2012, 09:21:30 AM

He makes base of 4.45 this year and 4.95 next season.  Deal was a 5 yr 30.95mil contract with 17.5mil guaranteed and 9 mill signing bonus.  S
so he stands to make 30 mil from this contract and probably made a couple mil more on his 1st contract.  How much money does he need?

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 22, 2012, 09:23:55 AM

so he stands to make 30 mil from this contract and probably made a couple mil more on his 1st contract.  How much money does he need?

Preaching to the choir here lol

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 22, 2012, 09:26:42 AM

I love how players always forget that signing bonus money is an upfront payment for future performance. That $9 million bonus means he already got paid $1.8 million for 2012 and $1.8 million for 2013 and he hasn't even done anything.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MJD « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools