Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MJD « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

buchead

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 22, 2012, 09:26:54 AM

I've never been a fan of the hold-out, that's why you sign the contract!

Players want the security of the long term contract and that's fine, but that also means you don't get a new contract when your worth to the team changes. If you want the ability to sign a new deal every couple years you should sign a 2 year deal. No one does because injury would screw a lot of guys.

I'm fine with him holding out for more money ONLY if in another 3 years when his skills are starting to slide they lock him out until he cuts his contract.
Thats very one sided. Teams cut players all the time if they dont live up to the contract. But they dont come to guys like lets say Victor Cruz, who has clearly outplayed his contract, and say here you deserve a raise. Chris Johnson rushed for 2000 yards and had to hold out to get money he clearly deserved based on production. I have no problem with players holding out for there best interest. Look at the jets and Thomas Jones. He was due a big pay day a coupl years ago so they cut him and sign LT. The crazy thing about it was he was playing up to the level of the contract. He had just rushed for 1400 yards on a team that led the league in rushing. The jets issue was he was over 30 and they didnt want to pay a RB over 30 big bucks. B.S.  Thats why Im glad they havent been as dominant at running the ball since he left.

In 3 years when he is declining they wont lock him out and make him take a pay cut. They will just simply cut him and you wont hear anything about honoring a contract then. It goes both ways so ease up on the players when they hold out because teams will always cut guys they dont want to pay
: August 22, 2012, 09:29:21 AM buchead

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 22, 2012, 09:27:44 AM

Not a fan of this holdout.  He's under contract for 2 more years.  If he's making 6 mil a year then I hardly feel bad for the guy.  He is set financially for life.

He makes base of 4.45 this year and 4.95 next season.  Deal was a 5 yr 30.95mil contract with 17.5mil guaranteed and 9 mill signing bonus.  S
so he stands to make 30 mil from this contract and probably made a couple mil more on his 1st contract.  How much money does he need?

More than us I guess...........the dude is delusional......

Pewterman

Starter

#17 : August 22, 2012, 09:31:21 AM

They're both at fault in this situation. Kahn needs to realize that MJD is the best thing possible for this offense. Gabbert absolutely needs a productive player to take the load off. Who do they have now to relieve pressure off the 2nd year man? They'll be a much better offense but only if MJD is back. First time in NFL history the the team with the league's top rusher finished last in offensive production. Like.. WHAT? Also for MJD, he needs to realize that the league has evolved. No one wants to pay
RBs big money anymore. Peterson and CJ2K both got huge contracts. What happened the next year? One is out for the season(still out on injury actually) and the other looked like a bust and was practically hated by his team until he posted 190 yards against The Bucs. Was he back? no. Our defense was just bad enough that you could drive a freight train through the holes in our line and secondary. Plus, what kind of effect is that having on the other player's and the organization altogether. Half of them are thinking that the ownership doesn't want to provide for the franchise player. The other is losing respect for MJD because he's holding out like a baby. Maybe he needs to realize what's best for the team.. (Hint: It's definitely not holding out).
Plus, he's on my fantasy league. So he better get his ass out there.

Signed

Starter

#18 : August 22, 2012, 09:36:45 AM

Thats very one sided. Teams cut players all the time if they dont live up to the contract. But they dont come to guys like lets say Victor Cruz, who has clearly outplayed his contract, and say here you deserve a raise. Chris Johnson rushed for 2000 yards and had to hold out to get money he clearly deserved based on production. I have no problem with players holding out for there best interest. Look at the jets and Thomas Jones. He was due a big pay day a coupl years ago so they cut him and sign LT. The crazy thing about it was he was playing up to the level of the contract. He had just rushed for 1400 yards on a team that led the league in rushing. The jets issue was he was over 30 and they didnt want to pay a RB over 30 big bucks. B.S.  Thats why Im glad they havent been as dominant at running the ball since he left.

In 3 years when he is declining they wont lock him out and make him take a pay cut. They will just simply cut him and you wont hear anything about honoring a contract then. It goes both ways so ease up on the players when they hold out because teams will always cut guys they dont want to pay

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm sure teams, agents and players know that in the contract they're signing it states that the team can cut them if they aren't performing well.

MJD needs to suck it up and report to camp, he isn't on his final year of his deal and this isn't his first contract he's trying to get. I wonder how his teammates feel about him holding out on them because he wants more money.

Pewterman

Starter

#19 : August 22, 2012, 09:41:07 AM

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm sure teams, agents and players know that in the contract they're signing it states that the team can cut them if they aren't performing well.

MJD needs to suck it up and report to camp, he isn't on his final year of his deal and this isn't his first contract he's trying to get. I wonder how his teammates feel about him holding out on them because he wants more money.

Oh they probably hate it. Bad demeanor for the team when your sole offensive weapon is sitting at home while you're preparing for what seems like another embarrassing season. Also, players are looking at management and thinking, "Hey.. What if I want more money in the future too? Will I have to sit out to get what I want?"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 22, 2012, 09:41:49 AM

Not a fan of this holdout.  He's under contract for 2 more years.  If he's making 6 mil a year then I hardly feel bad for the guy.  He is set financially for life.

He makes base of 4.45 this year and 4.95 next season.  Deal was a 5 yr 30.95mil contract with 17.5mil guaranteed and 9 mill signing bonus.  S
so he stands to make 30 mil from this contract and probably made a couple mil more on his 1st contract.  How much money does he need?
all by the age of 29 I might add.  He could still make some more scratch afterwards as well.  Even if he didn't the guy is set for life.  This is just an ego thing.
More than us I guess...........the dude is delusional......

Signed

Starter

#21 : August 22, 2012, 10:12:52 AM

Oh they probably hate it. Bad demeanor for the team when your sole offensive weapon is sitting at home while you're preparing for what seems like another embarrassing season. Also, players are looking at management and thinking, "Hey.. What if I want more money in the future too? Will I have to sit out to get what I want?"

They're probably thinking, "If he gets this money, then I'm going to sign a front loaded contract with a huge bonus and hold out the next year for even more money too."

buchead

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 22, 2012, 10:15:10 AM

fine even if thats true the fact is holding out is the best option for a player who deserves a raise. There may be a clause in the contract that say if your stats dont reach this level your going to get cut. But there isnt a clause that says if you dont play like an undrafted free agent then we will increase your play before the contract is up.
 By the way Im not sure teams can do that. I think if they could then they wouldnt add "incentives" to contracts. You know like things like players getting an extra million for making a pro bowl.

Pewterman

Starter

#23 : August 22, 2012, 10:16:51 AM

They're probably thinking, "If he gets this money, then I'm going to sign a front loaded contract with a huge bonus and hold out the next year for even more money too."

Exactly. There's no winning here. MJD is causing some real damage here. I just wonder if he were to be traded, what time would pick him up. And at what cost.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 22, 2012, 10:22:59 AM

No respect for this move by MJD. He got paid, now wants more. You think for one second he is going to give back money if he has a down year?  Hope the Jags don't give in.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#25 : August 22, 2012, 10:29:51 AM

I am with Kahn on this.  His job as a new owner is to build a contender year in and year out, and you can't do that with a RB that already has a lot of tread.  Kahn has shown the willingness to spend money into the franchise if it is the right thing to do.  MJD is pretty much on his own on this one.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 22, 2012, 11:30:44 AM

You guys saying that he already made 30,000,000 dollars in his career so he doesn't need more are delusional. Quit trying to compare the guy to yourself. . When you compare him to his peers instead of you then it makes a lot of sense that he should be getting paid more. I mean his contract averages $6M a year while the top RB averages $13M a year. It's nonsense. Not only is he the best back in the league, he is a leader and professional. Ideal face of the franchise. I hope he gets paid.

Rumor has it the Lions are trying to work a trade.

Draft Aaron Donald

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 22, 2012, 11:34:00 AM

If that happened, Dect. Jdub, that offense would be completely insane.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#28 : August 22, 2012, 11:36:36 AM

I don't care if he makes 13 mil or not but he signed the contract and should have to live with it.  And living on 30 mil isn't a hard thing for one to do I would think.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 22, 2012, 11:37:00 AM

You guys saying that he already made 30,000,000 dollars in his career so he doesn't need more are delusional. Quit trying to compare the guy to yourself. . When you compare him to his peers instead of you then it makes a lot of sense that he should be getting paid more. I mean his contract averages $6M a year while the top RB averages $13M a year. It's nonsense. Not only is he the best back in the league, he is a leader and professional. Ideal face of the franchise. I hope he gets paid.

The man has almost 1,800 NFL touches. It's not a maybe it's a fact sooner rather than later he's going to fall off a cliff. If you're a Jags fan or the Jags owner do you want him making $12 million per year when he's playing like late period Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, and Shaun Alexander?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MJD « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools