Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MJD « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 22, 2012, 11:37:25 AM

Bengals would be scary with him as well.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 22, 2012, 11:38:07 AM

I don't care if he makes 13 mil or not but he signed the contract and should have to live with it.  And living on 30 mil isn't a hard thing for one to do I would think.
It's still a lot of money but it should be understaood after taxes, agent fees, management, etc., he's probably only taken home $12-15 million.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 22, 2012, 11:38:28 AM

I don't care what his peers are earning, because frankly he isn't worth that type of money.  The Jags shouldn't set their franchise back because of him.  MJD can win all the rushing titles he wants, but as FRG points out it hasn't made a difference in the win column.

Jags defense is really good, but they need to put points on the board and a running game rarely provides that.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : August 22, 2012, 11:43:15 AM

You guys saying that he already made 30,000,000 dollars in his career so he doesn't need more are delusional. Quit trying to compare the guy to yourself. . When you compare him to his peers instead of you then it makes a lot of sense that he should be getting paid more. I mean his contract averages $6M a year while the top RB averages $13M a year. It's nonsense. Not only is he the best back in the league, he is a leader and professional. Ideal face of the franchise. I hope he gets paid.

Rumor has it the Lions are trying to work a trade.
The man has almost 1,800 NFL touches. It's not a maybe it's a fact sooner rather than later he's going to fall off a cliff. If you're a Jags fan or the Jags owner do you want him making $12 million per year when he's playing like late period Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, and Shaun Alexander?

So you give him an extension that pays him big upfront and then drops off. If he falls off a cliff in a few years your safe to cut him. If he keeps on being amazing and defying father time you give him another extension. What you don't do is expect him to continue to be over 50% of your offense and run himself into early retirement for half of what the market says he should be making

I hope does get traded. Sucks to see him rot away on such a horrible team anyways. If he goes to the Lions.... Wow.

Signed

Starter

#34 : August 22, 2012, 12:01:30 PM

So you give him an extension that pays him big upfront and then drops off. If he falls off a cliff in a few years your safe to cut him. If he keeps on being amazing and defying father time you give him another extension. What you don't do is expect him to continue to be over 50% of your offense and run himself into early retirement for half of what the market says he should be making

I hope does get traded. Sucks to see him rot away on such a horrible team anyways. If he goes to the Lions.... Wow.

You mean like the one he got a few years ago for $17.5 Mil guaranteed, $9 mil bonus and drops off in his last two years? Maybe he should have spread that $9mil bonus out over the last couple years and he'll be making closer to $10mil per year. The RBs making more money than him now are those who just signed deals recently, and they were deals for 6/7 years. I don't see MJD getting a 6/7 year contract worth $60+ mil.

I would like to see him traded at this point, but he has no leverage at all it seems. Jags can make him sit and waste a year (or two?) of his career if they wanted, until a good Palmer like deal showed up for a trade.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 22, 2012, 12:05:04 PM

I haven't heard any rumors about him going to the Lions, but if he does, that'll be interesting.

MJD has no leverage here. The new owner would encourage hold-outs if he caved in. I like MJD and usually side with the players getting what they can, but I'm not sure this hold-out is going to work for him. Will the owner cave in and trade MJD? What's his market value?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 22, 2012, 12:05:30 PM

You mean like the one he got a few years ago for $17.5 Mil guaranteed, $9 mil bonus and drops off in his last two years? Maybe he should have spread that $9mil bonus out over the last couple years and he'll be making closer to $10mil per year. The RBs making more money than him now are those who just signed deals recently, and they were deals for 6/7 years. I don't see MJD getting a 6/7 year contract worth $60+ mil.

I would like to see him traded at this point, but he has no leverage at all it seems. Jags can make him sit and waste a year (or two?) of his career if they wanted, until a good Palmer like deal showed up for a trade.

+1.

Yeah MJD isn't on a rookie deal, so his agent screwed up if he isn't happy.  Jags needs to move on as they need to put points on the board to go along with their defense.  I don't understand why people have hardons for running backs in today's NFL.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 22, 2012, 02:17:03 PM

I've never been a fan of the hold-out, that's why you sign the contract!

Does the team honor the contract when they cut you with yrs remaining?

As a RB, you should get as much as you can when opportunity/leverage presents itself.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 22, 2012, 02:18:59 PM

As a RB moreso than any other position, you have to get as much as you can when you have the opportunity/leverage to do so.

That is my main point. They don't last long, especially when they are getting nearly 400 touches per season. If he plays out his two years, chances are he will either drop off in ability or get injured and he will never get the huge top RB contract he deserves. I don't blame him in the least for trying to get it while he's at the top of his game. If the Jags want another two years like the past three, they should adjust his contract.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 22, 2012, 02:37:30 PM

Looking at it strictly from MJDs standpoint, of course you want long term stability. He doesn't know how long he's going to be around with running back's shelf lives. Looking at it from a GMs perspective, you have the same concerns but a different perspective. With the way contracts are being structured now, his agent is probably working toward a contract with a high amount of guarantees for a position player that very well shouldn't be able to guarantee much. It's very stingy, but I think they are trying to protect their franchise's salary cap and future. He still has two years left on a deal that he agreed on in 2009.

Comparison to other backs is for the birds at his point in the salary structure. He's making over $4,000,000 per year for the next 2 years. If I were a fan, I'd be livid because that's my excitement on Sundays in an nutshell. GMs have to make some tough calls and be a real maverick. This is one of those cases in my opinion.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : August 22, 2012, 02:58:01 PM

Well you say looking at other back's salaries is for the birds, but if you look at average salaries, which is the total divided by the amount of years, it is very important...and when you look at those averages you see that MJD isn't even in the top 10. He is arguable the best back in the league and was the rushing leader last year, and has done it consistency three years in a row on a bad team....so it seems pretty messed up to me that he isn't even in the top 10 highest paid running backs.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/running-back/

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#41 : August 22, 2012, 03:12:46 PM

And that's true JDouble, it is messed up. Even more messed up, is the last figures I checked had the Jags as having the most salary cap space or at least among the most. A long term contract such as the one MJD signed in 2009 is a risk for both parties. For the Jaguars, MJD could get injured but he's still guaranteed that money. He plays a position that could see injuries frequently, so this is a considerable risk for this franchise. On the flipside, MJD is taking the risk that he may be worth more than the contract he is signing 2-3 years from now, such as the case he's in now.

I just see no leverage for the guy, he's got 2 years left on a contract he agreed to and the team is armed with a franchise tag after that point. He can step away from the game, that's about it. A trade makes sense as well, but that's the Jags best player. They need a lot of value for him to make it worthwhile.

Link: Salary Figures for 32 NFL Teams

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#42 : August 22, 2012, 03:34:08 PM

I don't think players can have it both ways. We all know that it's a privldge to play in the NFL. And no one is holding a gun to their head when they sign those rookie contracts. Honestly, most of them would sell their 1st born children to play in the League. Having said that, I have more sympathy for a guy like Victor Cruz who out plays his rookie contract, than a guy like MJD who has already redone his deal once.  If you feel as though you are going to "outperform the contract," THEN DON'T SIGN IT!!! Take a 2 year deal, and hit free agency if you think the team is "disrespecting" you.

You can't have the security of a long term deal, and the luxury of renegotiating two years in.  IMO

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 22, 2012, 04:15:16 PM

I would trade for MJD in a heartbeat.

Our rbs are good, but not MJD good. With him, Martin and/or Blount we would have the best rb trio almost ever to grace a football field. It would help draw the crowds and ensure a proper run game consistantly for the next 3 - 5 seasons. And imagine, if MJD could run behind the line at jacksonville, there should be no question that he could do the same here in Tampa.

Besides, what are we going to do with our 1st or 2nd round, sign another Benn or McCoy? I would honestly rather "waste" a pick on a productive back in the NFL, than a possible never-will-be.
: August 22, 2012, 04:17:41 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : August 22, 2012, 04:17:50 PM

I think he does have leverage. If he plays the Jags will be a team that might win 8 games at best. If he doesn't play they will probably go 0-16 and Gabbert will officially be a bust. I'd hold out into the regular season if I was him. Let em start out 0-5 and see if they change their mind about adjusting the deal or trading him before the deadline.

Thing is, MJD is a stand up guy and he loves football. I think it would bother him too much to miss regular season games.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MJD « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools