Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Build offense around Doug Martin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

McCoy93

Starter

#30 : August 22, 2012, 05:52:29 PM

In the perfect world your offense should be centered around the most important position in football. The game evolves and lately it has turned into a passer league; Martin will be a piece of the offense but the center piece you want it to be Freeman or whoever the next QB is

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 22, 2012, 05:53:17 PM

I think hes going to be a stud. I like Blount but I feel Martin will be better and used more.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 22, 2012, 06:01:56 PM

I hope Martin turns out to be a good player, but in 2012 there's no such thing as a franchise running back. You build around your quarterback or you get a top 5 pick to try again.

Ok Tat, I'll go real slow for you. This quoted post is what I was responding to. He claims you can't build around a RB anymore. My only point was that you CAN build your offense around a stud running back IF you have a stellar defense. I'm not sure why this has you so confused, but your comments don't even make sense, so you either didn't read my initial post or you just can't comprehend whats going on.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 22, 2012, 06:13:13 PM

I hope Martin turns out to be a good player, but in 2012 there's no such thing as a franchise running back. You build around your quarterback or you get a top 5 pick to try again.

Ok Tat, I'll go real slow for you. This quoted post is what I was responding to. He claims you can't build around a RB anymore. My only point was that you CAN build your offense around a stud running back IF you have a stellar defense. I'm not sure why this has you so confused, but your comments don't even make sense, so you either didn't read my initial post or you just can't comprehend whats going on.

No, he claims there arent franchise backs anymore. Dalbuc also stated that you could easily remove the RB from the equation and the statements holds true....thus further proving that "franchise" backs no longer exist in todays NFL.

Sure you could build around a RB, but the results would likely suck as they account for a small fraction of the offense. By adding a giant IF into the equation it just further proves the original point of franchise backs no longer exist. The only way they can even be remotely considered as such is with a giant IF attached to a great defense.

Is that slow enough? do those points make enough sense? was my comprehension on point? Do you now comprehend the original post you quoted from FRG?

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 22, 2012, 06:53:56 PM

No one says you can't build a team around a great defense. It's a great way to build a team. But neither Baltimore nor San Francisco had their success because of their running backs. Flacco and Rice have played in 6 playoff games together and Rice has only had one good game, the very first one against New England in 2009. Since that game he went 13 for 67 against Indy in 2009, 17 for 57 against Kansas City and 12 for 32 against Pittsburgh in 2010, and 21 for 60 against Houston and 21 for 67 against New England in 2011. 5 of his 6 playoff game stat lines have looked like Carnell Williams. In the 49ers playoff game against the Saints, Gore rushed for 89 yards. The reason they won that game was because Alex Smith and Vernon Davis played like they were on fire and the defense picked off Brees twice. Against the Giants he rushed for 74 yards. Running backs get their yards beating up on bad teams in the regular season. In the playoffs they become nonfactors.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 22, 2012, 07:11:22 PM

Well I'm not saying you don't need your QB and receivers to step up and be good too, if your team is based around stellar defense and a great running back. Especially in the the playoffs. Too have real success you have to be a well rounded team, but everyone has their own tenancies. If you have an elite QB like Brady, Manning, or Brees...that's great. You can have a mediocre defense and a mediocre run game and still be dangerous by throwing it all over the place. If you don't have elite passer, you can still find success with a game manager at QB if you have an elite RB and great defense. I think the Ravens and 49ers are good examples. People act like the game has changed so much that you have to throw for 5000 yards a season to be a playoff contender, and I just don't buy it. Sure the new rules have made things trend towards the pass, but there are still other ways to be a top team in the league.

I definitely disagree that running backs become a non factor in the playoffs. Remember that guys like Ray Rice are a huge part of the passing game as well.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 22, 2012, 07:14:02 PM

Also, everything in the NFL goes in cycles. Everything. And as defenses get smaller and faster to match up well against all the passing, teams will move back to running the ball. It's only a matter of time.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 22, 2012, 07:26:26 PM

quoted for irony.

nevermind those teams had great Ds right? it was the bell cow RBs.

Dude..... did you not read what he posted??

Joe Flacco is average at best. The Ravens have been very successful basing their offense around Ray Rice and playing great defense. The 49ers had a great success last year with an offense based on Frank Gore and great defense. It can still be done, you just need a great defense.

I mean.... it couldn't be put any clearer than that.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 22, 2012, 07:29:23 PM

In other news....Panthers' Steve Smith is out with a foot infection. Wonder if he'll be back for week one.

TheQ

Starter

#39 : August 23, 2012, 01:38:19 AM

I thought the news was about building the O around Martin.
And no the Panthers will not be concerned about  Smith's foot as they will come into RayJay with the intent to run, run, run the ball....
It will be up to the BUCS to stop the run and make the Panthers wish they had Smith on the field.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#40 : August 23, 2012, 01:56:04 AM

Mostly, I agree with this.

You'd have to have a really good running game, a really good defense, but you'd still need a QB who is more than a game manager.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 23, 2012, 01:58:12 AM

Its not a knock on Blount but Martin deserves to start. I think he does phenomenal too. He has ROTY potential(not that I care about that.. remember our last ROTY HB??)

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#42 : August 23, 2012, 02:05:00 AM

Martin is as advertised:  GOOD.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 23, 2012, 02:13:14 AM

Problem is we don't have a great defense right now. I mean who knows maybe Rah really was that bad or we really did just miss McCoy. I think it's some of both but still I'm not sure we have the personnel on that defense to be great enough to build around a run game. My concern is we get behind early in games and we abandon the run completely. I don't see that happening with Schiano though.

mostknownunknown

Practice Squad

#44 : August 23, 2012, 03:05:02 AM

Problem is we don't have a great defense right now. I mean who knows maybe Rah really was that bad or we really did just miss McCoy. I think it's some of both but still I'm not sure we have the personnel on that defense to be great enough to build around a run game. My concern is we get behind early in games and we abandon the run completely. I don't see that happening with Schiano though.

This is true, the O-Line is horrid past the 1st teamers also, and even they aren't helping Martin to his full potential (according to Davin).  I hope Schiano can stick to his guns with the run and improve/build the o line up over the season.  With the way the defense is playing, the O-Line should be plenty rested between drives during the games to give LGB and Martin holes for days.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Build offense around Doug Martin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools