Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF BULLS FOOTBALL THREAD « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 13 14 15

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #210 : January 26, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »

Just so it's clear, I curse that frickin' Holtz.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #211 : January 26, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »

Looks like Taggart just snatched a local talent away from Wisconsin. Go get 'em Willie.
---------

Nature Coast DE Rohan Blackwood will play college football at USF, Sharks assistant coach Rob Kazmier announced Sunday evening.

Blackwood is one of Tampa Bay’s top talents. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound senior was No. 24 in the Tampa Bay Times’ list of the area’s top prospects.

The three-star recruit was Rivals’ No. 35 weakside defensive end prospect; 247Sports ranks him No. 20 nationally at his position and No. 54 overall in the state.
In three seasons at Nature Coast, Blackwood racked up 186 tackles, 25 sacks and three touchdown catches to become one of the North Suncoast’s top players. The standout athlete was once regarded as one of the country’s top basketball prospects, but his size and frame led him to shift his focus on football within the last year.

He initially committed to Wisconsin during the fall, but the two parted ways earlier this month. Blackwood also held offers from Miami, Marshall and Missouri, among others.
Oral commitments are non-binding until recruits sign letters of intent during their senior years. National Signing Day is Feb 5.

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/nature-coast-de-rohan-blackwood-commits-usf-football/19506/

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
« #212 : January 28, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »

USF has a long ways to go before even being relevant again.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #213 : January 28, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »

Define relevant

McBarron

Pro Bowler

« #214 : January 28, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »

Maybe he means mid-tier, at the worst.

Hell, we are below UCF now. That is sad as fock!

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #215 : January 28, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »

With the new playoff and the real possibility of the big 5 splitting away it really is time for USF and UCF to start working at getting in the Big 12.  JMO

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #216 : February 05, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »

Looks like they came up with some big signings at crunch time including Vincent Jackson from Jesuit and this kid Bayes from Immokalee

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/58/class/2014

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #217 : February 05, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »

Yes they did and Taggart does well w/ the locals. I've seen quite a few games from some of these kids the last couple of years. I like what he's doing.

----------------------------------------
Bulls' haul includes 12 locals

If Wednesday's proceedings were any sign, most of the stops on Coach Willie Taggart's proverbial bus route were within an hour of USF's campus.

Twelve of the 28 players who have signed with the Bulls hail from a bay area high school (including Bradenton and Manatee counties). By contrast, Skip Holtz's three signing days as Bulls coach featured six total bay area players.

In the wake of a 2-10 inaugural season, Taggart hauled in a class ranked first in the American Athletic Conference by Rivals, 247Sports and Scout.com.

"I just like the coaching staff. Coach Taggart is a really down-to-earth man, and I feel like he's going to help me with my success," Nature Coast DE Rohan Blackwood said.

"Plus, (2013) was the first year they were there, and he had (Holtz's) recruiting class and stuff like that. So things weren't in his favor with what he wanted to really do because it really wasn't his team."

USF bay area signees
CB Tajee Fullwood, Tampa Bay Tech
DE Rohan Blackwood, Nature Coast
RB Marlon Mack, Sarasota Booker
CB Mazzi Wilkins, Plant
LB Juwuan Brown, Jefferson
CB Devin Abraham, East Lake
S Jamie Byrd, Iowa Western CC/Pasco
OT Zach Hudson, Sickles
DE Eric Mayes, Milford Academy/Sarasota Booker
LB Josh Black, Sickles
DE Vincent Jackson, Jesuit
OG Michael Galati, Bradenton Manatee

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/bulls-haul-includes-12-locals/2164278

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #218 : February 05, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »

The Johnson kid from Immokalee is supposed to be a steal as well.  Not to mention the WR Bronson from Ft. Myers

McBarron

Pro Bowler

« #219 : February 06, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »

I think Manziel and Bortles were not even in the Top 35 for HS QBs when they came out of HS.

Food for thought......

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #220 : March 22, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »

Teddy Bridgewater visits Bulls practice today, Taggart's working hard to turn this thing around..

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #221 : April 04, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »

Bulls Beat: Football’s next step is on-campus stadium

Published: April 3, 2014

TAMPA — When the torrential rain finally gave way Saturday afternoon, the University of South Florida’s spring football game suddenly had perfect weather.

And a perfect venue.

Instead of cavernous, antiseptic Raymond James Stadium, Coach Willie Taggart and new athletic director Mark Harlan decided to play the game on campus at Corbett Stadium, normally the site for USF soccer.

Instead of zero atmosphere, there was a festive feel with palm trees swaying, the band performing, cheerleaders cheering, students turning out, along with campus buildings in the background. That’s the way it was. And it’s also the way it should be — every Saturday in the fall at USF.

The football program was built with great financial care by former AD Paul Griffin. It was nurtured into the big-time. Now Taggart is charged with restoring its relevance by winning championships.

Raymond James Stadium has been just fine, but it’s not a true home. Harlan should start planting the seeds for an on-campus football stadium. A 35,000-seat facility would do just fine. It’s stunning what a difference exists when playing on-campus.

“It was great,’’ Bulls receiver Andre Davis said. “Everybody enjoyed it.’’

“Especially with the rain, I couldn’t imagine how it would’ve been down at Ray-Jay,’’ quarterback Steven Bench said. “The rain cleared out and the students could just walk over. The atmosphere was great.’’

Take a bow for a good decision, USF.

Then start thinking about the future. It’s the natural next step in making the football program all that it can become.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/bulls-beat-footballs-next-step-is-on-campus-stadium-20140403/

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #222 : April 04, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »

Wonder how excited the soccer coach is/was about playing the spring game in their stadium?

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #223 : April 04, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »

Bulls Beat: Football’s next step is on-campus stadium

Published: April 3, 2014

TAMPA — When the torrential rain finally gave way Saturday afternoon, the University of South Florida’s spring football game suddenly had perfect weather.

And a perfect venue.

Instead of cavernous, antiseptic Raymond James Stadium, Coach Willie Taggart and new athletic director Mark Harlan decided to play the game on campus at Corbett Stadium, normally the site for USF soccer.

Instead of zero atmosphere, there was a festive feel with palm trees swaying, the band performing, cheerleaders cheering, students turning out, along with campus buildings in the background. That’s the way it was. And it’s also the way it should be — every Saturday in the fall at USF.

The football program was built with great financial care by former AD Paul Griffin. It was nurtured into the big-time. Now Taggart is charged with restoring its relevance by winning championships.

Raymond James Stadium has been just fine, but it’s not a true home. Harlan should start planting the seeds for an on-campus football stadium. A 35,000-seat facility would do just fine. It’s stunning what a difference exists when playing on-campus.

“It was great,’’ Bulls receiver Andre Davis said. “Everybody enjoyed it.’’

“Especially with the rain, I couldn’t imagine how it would’ve been down at Ray-Jay,’’ quarterback Steven Bench said. “The rain cleared out and the students could just walk over. The atmosphere was great.’’

Take a bow for a good decision, USF.

Then start thinking about the future. It’s the natural next step in making the football program all that it can become.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/bulls-beat-footballs-next-step-is-on-campus-stadium-20140403/

JMO but I think it is a waste of resources for an on campus stadium .  RJS is a wonderful venue.  Bulls are lucky to have such a great place to play.

Miami has never had an on campus stadium as they look at 5 MNC's I can't see how not having one has hurt them at all.

Additionally,  with 82% of the student population living off campus compared to 18 % on campus ( the link is dated since current enrollment is 47,000 but I doubt the %'s have changed much.)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-south-florida-1537/student-life

Not a fiscally responsible Idea IMHO.  Oh and I am a USF graduate.
  Page: 1 ... 13 14 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF BULLS FOOTBALL THREAD « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools