Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Forget the offense, looks like the D will be keeping us in games...as usual « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 25, 2012, 03:09:20 PM

If we have to rely on the defense to "carry" the BUcs, we are in trouble.  I am willing to bet that 8 out of 10 times the Pats spank the crap out of that defense.  Their offense is beast. 

But KUDOS to the defense last night, and props to Ronde for making a play that gave us 7 points.

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#16 : August 25, 2012, 03:19:29 PM

1st string can carry, but any injuries and our defense has nothing

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 25, 2012, 03:28:54 PM

Our D can and will carry this team. Where to? Thats anyones guess but the we have the talent and the coaching to get'r'dun.

Preseason or not, the starting D has been impressive the last 3 games and are playing disciplined football. In a game of inches, that could be the difference.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Hate

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 25, 2012, 04:25:44 PM

I think our D will be better than many people expect..... provided we stay healthy.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

nitey

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 25, 2012, 04:47:31 PM

Okay, doesn't ANYONE think that the fact that the offense went down the field and scored 7 points helped out the defense? Geez folks, good football is a balancing act and while you might point out that the old Bucs did just fine with a good defense and little offense, that team didn't really do anything until Gruden came in a brought a average offense with him.

I'm convinced that last seasons defense looked bad because the offense couldn't score in the 1st two quarters which probably put enormous pressure on the defense to play above their heads knowing that the offense couldn't get going until later in the game which also put a ton of additional pressure on the offense because they knew that they weren't doing their half of the job.

Last season was a catch 22 in so many ways.

If our offense can at least be average and score some points in the first half of the game and not put the defense in bad field position consistently, I suspect our defense will be a lot better. However, it also implies that if our defense can play at least average, our offense will probably play better as well. When both start playing consistently, I think it will appear that both are playing above average.

Confidence is the key on both sides of the ball, you don't want too much or too little. 

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Hate

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 25, 2012, 04:54:45 PM

I'm convinced that last seasons defense looked bad because the offense couldn't score in the 1st two quarters which probably put enormous pressure on the defense to play above their heads knowing that the offense couldn't get going until later in the game which also put a ton of additional pressure on the offense because they knew that they weren't doing their half of the job.

That's one loooooooong sentence.... one i completely agree with. So many want to abuse the D, meanwhile we were probably one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to 1st qtr points.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 25, 2012, 05:00:29 PM

I don't think anyone's discrediting the contributions of the offense but this thread is pointing out that despite all the attn this offense gets and all the upgrades, the defense has been the one constant once the lights came on.
I look foward to seeing the D come on the field while I have to drink pepsid for the offense. Sound familiar? If anything, this thread is a knock on the Bucs media and how badly they suck.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Hate

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 25, 2012, 05:03:15 PM

I look foward to seeing the D come on the field while I have to drink pepsid for the offense.

I believe that feeling is QB induced

nitey

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 25, 2012, 05:08:44 PM

There is no 'probably' about it Hate, we were the worst. I don't know exactly what the total ended up being, but 39 or 42 sticks in my mind and I do know that it took 13 games for the Bucs to score a touchdown in the first quarter of a game last season.

If the offense can play better, I think this defense will be a lot better than what people think as well.

However, I'm of the opinion that this team will only go as far as the offense takes them.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Hate

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 25, 2012, 05:12:31 PM

I was too lazy to look it up but knew it was pretty damn late in the season

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 25, 2012, 05:20:34 PM

So much of our offense changes when VJ is on the field. After the first drive, Free didn't  slink it as much...i'm willing to bet the first drive was just to test out our new passing game. then after that they decided to ease up.

Consiistancy is key for Freeman. he still HAS his 2010 skill. The first drive showed as much...he just has to has to keep that standard of play up.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 25, 2012, 05:44:54 PM

Not trying to be rude, but a lot of you are very fair weather when it comes to players.

You would have ran Eli off the Giants before any superbowls..

One minute it's "Freeman's the man" next it's "trade him\only average." I mean, cmon' maaann. Now the defense is going to carry them after two full seasons of pure suckitude? You have got to be kidding.

..Dude will be fine, you flipfloppers can relax.
no offense taken. I thinks its safe to say the defense has been the better side of buc ball thus far despite all the offseason hype the offense had been getting.
I personally never advocated for a Freeman trade and never will but I am glad Dom hadnt signed him to a franchise ticket. After drinking the Freeman koolaid the last two seasons, I said during the offseason that this was his make or break season and it is. I expect the bucs to win every game and nothing will change that but Freeman is quuckly becoming an easy target. Natural order of things.

He's a preseason target after a lackluster effort by the entire team and staff the season before. That's understandable.

My trouble with it all is, why call for heads yet? Give the kid an honest shot.

His strongest showings were in fourth qtr... and have we seen him play a fourth quarter game in preseason?

He played well with less, which has been mentioned many times over. An now IF the defense plays better (which is something he hasn't had before) He's going to have a far better experiance this time out.

Other than DJ, I see nothing but a bunch of positives on offense. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say this defense has any chance to carry this team.
: August 25, 2012, 05:47:29 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Forget the offense, looks like the D will be keeping us in games...as usual « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools