Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman's accuracy thus far « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #15 : August 25, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »

Through three pre season games Freeman's completion percentage is.........*drumroll*....57.5%

Limited number of attempts yes, but that is near his career average of 60.5%.  Given the Bucs are installing a new timing offense I think Freeman is really close to where he needs to be. 

Conclusion?  I think people fail to understand that the Bucs are starting from scratch with a new offense and defense.  Greg "Rutgers" Schiano is being a bit misleading as to not calling this a rebuilding year, but it is.

Freeman's issues with throwing an 8 yard pass to a wide open receiver or bouncing them in front of them have nothing to do with scheme.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #16 : August 25, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »

Stats are meaningless right now. The actual performances paint a very vivid picture. He is not good right now, and if he doesn't snap out of it our season will suck.

Also, new scheme doesn't cause horrible, wobbly ducks all night. Dude isn't right mentally right now. Can't even throw a 5 yard pass. I have no idea what is wrong with him, but it's a mental or physical issue...not a schematic problem.
« : August 25, 2012, 06:04:56 PM JDouble »

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #17 : August 25, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »

I'm hoping a lot of the problems are coming from learning a new offense and trying to gain chemistry with so many new players.

I will say this , if this defense is really as good as it's looked in the preseason , Freeman doesn't have to be nearly as good as we thought he did.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #18 : August 25, 2012, 07:44:10 PM »

Everyone has their opinion, but frankly, I don't think that the coaching staff has had enough time with Freeman to reverse some of the faults that he got into last season. I'm just not worried yet.

It's pretty clear to me that he's still too worried about throwing interceptions and is being hesitant in pulling the trigger. In 2010, there was little hesitation and more confidence. That lead to 2011, overconfidence and gambling which by the end of the season was a lot of hesitation and little confidence. Eli Manning had the same problem when Sullivan first got him, Manning started out rocky as well.

Also, this is preseason, while the coaches want to win the games, the players are often working on a particular part of their game sometimes to exclusion of others - In this game, I noticed that Freeman was attempting to read defenses better than he did at Tenn, so maybe that was what Sullivan had him working on this week, or maybe not. Either way, I'm not judging Freeman until the end of the season and I refuse to worry about it because it's not as if the Bucs have any other choice at the moment.

Freeman has his flaws, but he's still significantly better than most of the QB's that the Bucs have had behind center in the history of the franchise and he's still young enough to improve.

I believe as his confidence improves, and Sullivans coaching comes more into play, Freeman will continue to improve, but it's going to be a process not a switch (as much as I would love to have it that way).

JMO.

A very sensible, well thought out post

-------------------------------------------------------

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #19 : August 25, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »

Was a good post nitey.

Draft Aaron Donald

TB-BucFan4Life

Starter

« #20 : August 25, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »

Through three pre season games Freeman's completion percentage is.........*drumroll*....57.5%

Limited number of attempts yes, but that is near his career average of 60.5%.  Given the Bucs are installing a new timing offense I think Freeman is really close to where he needs to be. 

Conclusion?  I think people fail to understand that the Bucs are starting from scratch with a new offense and defense.  Greg "Rutgers" Schiano is being a bit misleading as to not calling this a rebuilding year, but it is.
Stop the BS excuses already! Free has been off with his passes every year he's been here. It wasn't bad 2 yrs ago but, other than that his accuracy is as bad as any QB in the league. I just don't think he'll ever be accurate let alone good.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #21 : August 25, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »

How many of these passes were thrown 10 yards past the LOS?  A large percentage of Freeman's completions have been short passes.

His accuracy is concerning, and it has zilch to do with the new offense.

YReceiver14

Starter

« #22 : August 25, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »

Freeman's issues with throwing an 8 yard pass to a wide open receiver or bouncing them in front of them have nothing to do with scheme.

^This.  I'm still a believer of Freeman.  However, it's not going to be smooth season if he's struggling with his inconsistent mechanics in addition to adjusting to read/react WR routes in addition to learning a new offense in general.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #23 : August 25, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »

Biggs.....Not disagreeing that his accuracy is bad....but every QB in the league has short passes making up a large part of their completions. You're kinda hating just to hate with that one.

Go ahead and grasp one....

« : August 25, 2012, 09:59:57 PM JDouble »

Draft Aaron Donald

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #24 : August 25, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »

Biggs.....Not disagreeing that his accuracy is bad....but every QB in the league has short passes making up a large part of their completions.

That's not true, especially not to the degree that Freeman has checked down this preseason.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
« #25 : August 25, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »

His deep ball is fairly accurate, it is his checkdowns and short to mid-range passes that he either is behind or overthrows. When he puts his full arm & body into it, he throws a good ball. It is when he goes half strength that you get wobbly ducks. Like his arm only has one gear.

what deep ball?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #26 : August 25, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »

Just in case you forgot, Freeman's bad year in 2011 featured some really nice passes...

Cut down on the turnovers this year, make some of those same throws, and we'll be OK on O.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #27 : August 25, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »

His deep ball is fairly accurate, it is his checkdowns and short to mid-range passes that he either is behind or overthrows. When he puts his full arm & body into it, he throws a good ball. It is when he goes half strength that you get wobbly ducks. Like his arm only has one gear.

what deep ball?

Go watch the highlights I just posted and tell me "what deep ball" again.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
« #28 : August 25, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »

YPA is a very good indicator of a QB's accuracy with respect to deep ball, and I THINK, Freeman's is about 5 YPA through PS anyway.  I've yet to see him throw deep yet this PS, and VERY rarely saw him throw deep last season, much less, complete one.  Freeman, IMO, is a big concern, as far as, a long-term franchise type QB.  He just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor YET.  Hopefully, the light switch will come on, but a large part of his problems seem between the ears, how fast he can process information.  Something, you either have or don't have.  Anticpation of where a reciever will be, also seems a big problem.  He doesn't seem able to "project" where a reciever will be before he makes his cut.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #29 : August 25, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »

He just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor YET. 

i would say he doesnt have the "it" factor ANYMORE.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman's accuracy thus far « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools