Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs will ponder options at guard « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : August 25, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »

Bucs will ponder options at guard

August, 25, 2012

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

As expected, Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano delivered some bad news when he met with the media Saturday afternoon.

Pro Bowl guard Davin Joseph suffered a season-ending injury in Friday night’s preseason victory against New England, Schiano said. Joseph tore the patellar tendon in his right knee. Schiano said Joseph is scheduled for surgery Monday and will be placed on injured reserve.

This is a huge blow because the Bucs thought they had the potential to have one of the league’s better offensive lines. A big part of their logic was that they were pairing Joseph with free-agent pickup Carl Nicks, who had been an All-Pro with New Orleans. The thinking was that the Bucs could have the league’s best guard tandem.

Now, they have to look at other alternatives -- and it’s not likely any of them are on a par with Joseph.

“It’s part of what we do,’’ Schiano said. “You mourn and you move on.’’

Schiano said the Bucs will monitor guards that are available and come available as teams trim their rosters. But he also said it’s likely Joseph’s replacement in the starting lineup will come from within the existing roster.

Ted Larsen seems to be the leading candidate. He replaced Joseph on Friday night. But Derek Hardman, who has had a solid preseason, also could get a look.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #1 : August 25, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »

Sign Jake Scott to a 2-year, $3M deal.  Dude played well for Tenny last season.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : August 25, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »

They need to sign someone IMO.  Not thrilled with what we have.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #3 : August 26, 2012, 01:04:53 AM »

Not a ringing endorsement for the backups.  And rightly so.

TheQ

Starter

« #4 : August 26, 2012, 02:15:52 AM »

I thought that Guards were easier to find than T, most T's that can't make it are moved inside.

TheQ

Starter

« #5 : August 26, 2012, 02:17:15 AM »

And the BUCS are not going to get a Joseph type for this year. They need a G that can block, don't commit penalties and healthy

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #6 : August 26, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »

What if ....

The Bucs are going to try moving Trueblood inside to G and put Dotson in at RT? Schiano indicated that they thought they might already have the answer on the team, so lets play with some names:

So here are some options, I suspect none will be options that will excite the fan base, but they are options none the less:

Trueblood to guard, Dotson to Right tackle: Often players that struggle at the tackle position, but have decent mechanics, can be moved inside and have productive careers. Trueblood may be open to this move because it could make him more valuable to a team after this season and perhaps allow him to play a few more years. Dotson played well as Penn's replacement on the left side and got a lot of starter's reps, so is more prepared to take on a starters position at right tackle.

Dotson to Right Guard: This option keeps Trueblood at right tackle and moves Dotson inside, Dotson has no real experience at playing guard, but then again, neither does Trueblood in the first option, however, Trueblood does have more experience at right tackle than Dotson has. The question that Bostad has to ask himself is the right side of the line stronger with Dotson at guard and Trueblood as tackle than the other way around. No telling at this point.

Larson/Hardman at Right Guard and let the tackle situation sort itself out: I think this is the mostly likely option, and I believe they will see if Larson can take and hold the job.

Larson to center, Zuttah moves to Right Guard: This is another strong possibility since Zuttah has experience at the right guard position and Larson is more of a natural center, however, instead of moving only one player, you are moving two. While on the surface, this sounds like a better move, I think Bostad will be resistant to moving Zuttah out of center.

Mike Ingersoll, Desmond Wynn are also options to challenge at the RG position even though both are on the chart as LG's. Schiano has said in his press conference that he wants the best 5 guys to be his line, so I'm thinking that one of the above will be the option we will see in Wednesday's game. If no one really steps up, then maybe we start looking at a trade or a waiver wire pickup, but I would be surprised if we did a trade until after Wednesday's game. I could see the Bucs bringing in someone that was cut over the weekend on Monday to add to the mix, but I'm thinking that that body will not be in real competition for the starting position, but for depth.

JMO.
« : August 26, 2012, 08:23:51 AM nitey »

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #7 : August 26, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »

I kinda like the Larson to center and Zuttah to right gaurd,  Btw, nitey very nice post.

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
« #8 : August 26, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »

I believe Dotson would be capable of learning to play RG, however, I believe it would take time. We may have honestly been better off losing DJ much earlier in camp. Watch the wire, and hope we can get an inspired effort from either Larsen or Hardman..

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #9 : August 26, 2012, 08:21:35 AM »

Well, my thought is that Dotson is now our 5th best player on the offensive line and keeping with Schiano's - the best 5 guys will play, would tend to indicate that Dotson may be part of the solution. For me, I would like to see what Trueblood could do at guard and have Dotson play right tackle, but I don't seriously think that will be a option. Not sure Dotson has the body type for a guard though, so I don't see him competing for the RG position either (he's a bit too tall IMO).

For the moment, I think Larson or Hardman is the guy and honestly, Larson filled in well two years ago. Not sure why he looked so lost last year, perhaps it was the coaching change and Bostad is more his type of coach.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #10 : August 26, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »

At some point I see Dotson getting more playing time and Trueblood less.  JT has some of the worst penalties at the worst possible times.  Coach S isn't going to be happy with that situation for long.  Not sure where everyone ends up tho.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #11 : August 26, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »

Monday is the first cut...  most teams already know who they are keeping...

I'd expect several options out there in FA...

Good post nitey. 

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : August 26, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »

I say leave Zuttah ... if he was signed and groomed to be our Center of the future then that is what he needs to be. Let Larsen and Hardman battle it out. They aren't great but we've won games with them in the lineup before.

The moving tackles to guard idea is just stupid.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #13 : August 26, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »

I say leave Zuttah ... if he was signed and groomed to be our Center of the future then that is what he needs to be. Let Larsen and Hardman battle it out. They aren't great but we've won games with them in the lineup before.

The moving tackles to guard idea is just stupid.

agree with all of this.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #14 : August 26, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »

Well its Penn's fault he got injured so move fatso to RG and give Dotson the LT position.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs will ponder options at guard « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools