Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Waiver Wire Running Backs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: August 30, 2012, 07:52:08 PM

I'm concerned about our running back depth. That might seem odd to some, but the way I see it Martin is a better version of Graham, and Blount is still Blount (not a well rounded three down back) so if Martin goes down with injury, we are in the same boat as last year. The only difference is we depend on Smith and Madu instead of Lumpkin and Madu. I don't see that as a good thing. I'm hoping we keep Hughes because not only has he looked better than Lorig at FB, but he is an option as 3rd down back if Martin was to get hurt.

Anyways, I am watching the waiver wire closely to see what running backs are cut or might be cut. Right now the only guys that have been cut that I like are Joe Martinek and Tyrell Sutton.

From the sounds of it, the Eagles will cut either Chris Polk or Bryce Brown. I'd like to swoop in and grab either of those guys. Bryce Brown could be a Blount like steal for us. 

Another guy that I've always liked is Keiland Williams. He is an Earnest Graham clone in every way. He is on the Lions roster though and they are hurting for RBs, so he might be safe.

Anyone else have any RBs that might hit the waiver wire tomorrow?

Draft Aaron Donald

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 30, 2012, 08:06:04 PM

Anthony Dixon - Niners

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 30, 2012, 08:07:08 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs still go after Martinek after Friday.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 30, 2012, 08:15:16 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs still go after Martinek after Friday.

One can only hope!

Bradentonian, I'm not sold on Dixon, but he does have surprising agility and hands for such a big guy.

Draft Aaron Donald

Hate

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 30, 2012, 08:19:47 PM

Chris Ivory.... and we can sign him to run over Ruud again.

-------------------------------------------------------

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 30, 2012, 08:24:37 PM

Chris Ivory.... and we can sign him to run over Ruud again.

I have a feeling the Saints keep all four of their RBs.

Draft Aaron Donald

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 30, 2012, 08:29:33 PM

Chris Polk, Eagles. Likely to be cut if not already.

"Eagles steal Polk after the draft: Running back Chris Polk of Washington agreed to sign with the Eagles as a rookie free agent following the NFL Draft. Polk skipped his senior year to enter the draft but wasn't selected. He averaged 101.2 rushing yards a game for his career at Washington and he's second on the school's career yardage list (4,049 yards) to Napolean Kaufman. Polk was red flagged by teams in the draft because of a supposed degenerative shoulder problem. When Polk began hearing that teams were concerned about his shoulder, he had it checked by well-known orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. According to team sources, Andrews wrote a letter stating that Polk had some scarring from the surgery, but there was nothing that should prevent him from being drafted or playing football. "I know teams are concerned about my shoulder, but I also heard somebody say something about a degenerative hip and there is just no truth to that," Polk said according to The Sports Xchange. "I had labrum surgery on the shoulder a year ago and it didn't slow me down last season."
(Updated 05/04/2012)"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1631997/chris-polk

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 30, 2012, 08:33:04 PM

I liked Polk as a prospect, has he done anything this preseason? Ivory would be a great pickup also. Kendall Hunter and Moreno might get cut, wouldn't mind one of those guys for our third either.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 30, 2012, 08:35:03 PM

Polk is super versatile. I expect them to cut Bryce and keep Polk, but if they do cut Polk....well fingers crossed. Dude is a hard runner, but he is also a great receiver. Not sure about his ability to pick up pass protection. If the Eagles cut him, it might be because he can't pass protect very well. Couldn't be any worse at pass protection than Smith and Madu.

Draft Aaron Donald

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 30, 2012, 08:36:24 PM

Sorry JDouble, just realized you mentioned Polk already.

Consider me another vote of support.

That said, I'm happy with Martin, Blount, Smith and the backups on ps.

So unless Polk or any new back could beat out Smith, I'd only pursue him / whoever for ps.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 30, 2012, 08:41:51 PM

Polk and Ivory would be the first two that come to mind for me.

Ivory is in danger of getting cut apparently as the new kid with the Saints, Cadet IRC, has really impressed.
: August 30, 2012, 08:43:49 PM MJay9000

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 30, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Man, I just think Smith is horrible. As a returner he has been exciting, but honestly he is the type of guy that just runs in a straight line very fast. He's fearless, and I can respect that...but that kind of returner doesn't usually last long. I expect him to be often injured. As a running back he has no wiggle, no vision, no moves, haven't seen any receptions yet, and his pass blocking is bad. Coming from the guy who tries to see the best in longshot running backs and hypes them all the time....I just don't see it in Smith. I think he is way over hyped and will not amount to anything. I'd love to be wrong, but I just can't get excited over him.

Draft Aaron Donald

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 30, 2012, 08:51:13 PM

Agree on Smith. Said it during the Demps saga. I will give Smith some credit for his KR ability though and he is a rookie so maybe he can improve with time.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 30, 2012, 08:52:29 PM

I love Michael Smith and even more so after the Pats game.

I think JDouble is the only guy on Earth that doesn't.  : P

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 30, 2012, 08:52:56 PM

Man, I just think Smith is horrible. As a returner he has been exciting, but honestly he is the type of guy that just runs in a straight line very fast. He's fearless, and I can respect that...but that kind of returner doesn't usually last long. I expect him to be often injured. As a running back he has no wiggle, no vision, no moves, haven't seen any receptions yet, and his pass blocking is bad. Coming from the guy who tries to see the best in longshot running backs and hypes them all the time....I just don't see it in Smith. I think he is way over hyped and will not amount to anything. I'd love to be wrong, but I just can't get excited over him.

Just want the best 53. I'm no expert in talent evaluation. I do like that he hits the hole fast on returns, but with so many moving parts it is hard to know if he's dynamic or just the visual sum of 11 parts on field.

If they think Polk is better, there will be no tears here.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Waiver Wire Running Backs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools