Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Priest says "children are often the seducer" in sex abuse cases « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« : August 31, 2012, 07:52:39 AM »

NEW YORK -- A New York priest says he "deeply regrets" if he hurt anyone by his comments that priests accused of child sex abuse are often seduced by their accusers and that a first-time offender should not go to jail.

The Rev. Benedict Groeschel of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal apologized Thursday for the comments he made in an interview with the National Catholic Register, published this week. The conservative, independent Register removed the story from its website and posted an apology for publishing the comments. Groeschel and the friars did as well.

"I did not intend to blame the victim. A priest (or anyone else) who abuses a minor is always wrong and is always responsible," Groeschel said in his post on the website. "My mind and my way of expressing myself are not as clear as they used to be. I have spent my life trying to help others the best that I could. I deeply regret any harm I have caused to anyone."

The friars expressed regret for the remarks and highlighted Groeschel's medical history. They said he had been in a car accident several years ago, and that "in recent months his health, memory and cognitive ability have been failing." They described the comments as "out of character."

Asked in the Register interview about working with priests involved in abuse, Groeschel had said, "Suppose you have a man having a nervous breakdown, and a youngster comes after him. A lot of the cases, the youngster — 14, 16, 18 — is the seducer."

In expanding on his answer, Groeschel also referenced Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State coach convicted of sexually abusing boys, referring to Sandusky as "this poor guy" and wondering why no one said anything for years.

He also added later that anyone involved "on their first offense, they should not go to jail because their intention was not committing a crime."

'Rubbing salt into the wounds'
Editor in Chief Jeanette De Melo posted a note apologizing for "publishing without clarification or challenge Father Benedict Groeschel's comments that seem to suggest that the child is somehow responsible for abuse. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our publication of that comment was an editorial mistake, for which we sincerely apologize."

The Archdiocese of New York also repudiated the comments in a statement posted on its website, calling them "simply wrong."

"Although he is not a priest of the Archdiocese of New York, what Father Groeschel said cannot be allowed to stand unchallenged. The sexual abuse of a minor is a crime, and whoever commits that crime deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," spokesman Joseph Zwilling said.

David Clohessy, director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, said there needs to be consequences for figures like Groeschel, "who say incredibly hurtful and mean-spirited things."

"He's rubbing salt into the wounds of already-suffering victims," Clohessy said.

Comments like Groeschel's "discourage victims, witnesses and whistleblowers from reporting horrific crimes both known and suspected," he said.

Colleagues of Groeschel suggested on Thursday that he was recovering from a fall and was mentally frail.

The Rev. Glenn Sudano, a spokesman for the Franciscan Friars, likened him to an elderly relative.

"He said something like grandpa would say and it's like 'Grandpa, why would you say that?'" Sudano told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"Obviously we don't agree with what he said. Obviously it's terribly disappointing that people are hurt or upset," Sudano said. "We feel very bad about it."

Sudano said he did not know if Groeschel would face any consequences for his remarks.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/31/13583763-ny-priest-apologizes-for-saying-child-is-often-seducer-in-sex-abuse-cases?lite

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #1 : August 31, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »

Unbelievable

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #2 : August 31, 2012, 02:27:41 PM »

Unreal. You cant make this stuff up.
Whats with these priest and pastors and their boy toy fetish? There are too many cases to write it off as a coincidence.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #3 : August 31, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »

WTF?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #4 : August 31, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

Where in the bible does it say to love thy neighbors son with thy rod and thy shaft?

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #5 : August 31, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »

People uncomfortable with their own sexuality try to repress it. A lifestyle of forced celibacy sounds attractive to them, so they can't act on their disturbing impulses - in theory. In reality, even after taking the vow, the only thing restricting them from acting on those urges is themselves - a barrier they feared was insufficient to begin with.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #6 : August 31, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »

They should just go back to raping the nuns.

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
« #7 : August 31, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »

They've discovered a new habit.

« #8 : September 01, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »

Some were willing participants.

Many years ago, they found a bunch of baby skeletons at an archdiocese. Supposedly, the nuns would carry the baby full term if they got pregnant and the mother superior smothered them at birth.

« #9 : September 01, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »

People uncomfortable with their own sexuality try to repress it. A lifestyle of forced celibacy sounds attractive to them, so they can't act on their disturbing impulses - in theory. In reality, even after taking the vow, the only thing restricting them from acting on those urges is themselves - a barrier they feared was insufficient to begin with.

Just as the scriptures indicated it would happen, "they" being the church.

There's no denying it Lum, you really should consider becoming a (true) Christian.

1 Timothy 4:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

4 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #10 : September 01, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »

Many years ago, they found a bunch of baby skeletons at an archdiocese. Supposedly, the nuns would carry the baby full term if they got pregnant and the mother superior smothered them at birth.

Doesn't sound very Christian-like.

« #11 : September 01, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »

Doesn't sound very Christian-like.

Exactly.

"... by their fruit you will recognize them."

Christendom claims to represent God Jehova, but they won't even use His name. Their "works" expose them:

Matthew 7:13-23 New International Version (NIV)

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
True and False Prophets

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Christendom has been a barrier between man & God, misleading the masses. The Bible says that they will be held accountable; but according to Revelation, so will those who don't break free:

Revelation 18:1-24 (New International Version)

Lament Over Fallen Babylon

18 After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his splendor. 2 With a mighty voice he shouted:

“‘Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great!’[a]
    She has become a dwelling for demons
and a haunt for every impure spirit,
    a haunt for every unclean bird,
    a haunt for every unclean and detestable animal.
3 For all the nations have drunk
    the maddening wine of her adulteries.
The kings of the earth committed adultery with her,
    and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries.”

Warning to Escape Babylon’s Judgment

4 Then I heard another voice from heaven say:

“‘Come out of her, my people,’{b}
    so that you will not share in her sins,
    so that you will not receive any of her plagues;
5 for her sins are piled up to heaven,
    and God has remembered her crimes.
6 Give back to her as she has given;
    pay her back double for what she has done.
    Pour her a double portion from her own cup.
7 Give her as much torment and grief
    as the glory and luxury she gave herself.
In her heart she boasts,
    ‘I sit enthroned as queen.
I am not a widow;[c]
    I will never mourn.’
8 Therefore in one day her plagues will overtake her:
    death, mourning and famine.
She will be consumed by fire,
    for mighty is the Lord God who judges her.

Threefold Woe Over Babylon’s Fall

9 “When the kings of the earth who committed adultery with her and shared her luxury see the smoke of her burning, they will weep and mourn over her. 10 Terrified at her torment, they will stand far off and cry:

“‘Woe! Woe to you, great city,
    you mighty city of Babylon!
In one hour your doom has come!’

11 “The merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her because no one buys their cargoes anymore— 12 cargoes of gold, silver, precious stones and pearls; fine linen, purple, silk and scarlet cloth; every sort of citron wood, and articles of every kind made of ivory, costly wood, bronze, iron and marble; 13 cargoes of cinnamon and **CENSORED**e, of incense, myrrh and frankincense, of wine and olive oil, of fine flour and wheat; cattle and sheep; horses and carriages; and human beings sold as slaves.

14 “They will say, ‘The fruit you longed for is gone from you. All your luxury and splendor have vanished, never to be recovered.’ 15 The merchants who sold these things and gained their wealth from her will stand far off, terrified at her torment. They will weep and mourn 16 and cry out:

dressed in fine linen, purple and scarlet,
    and glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls!
17 In one hour such great wealth has been brought to ruin!’

“Every sea captain, and all who travel by ship, the sailors, and all who earn their living from the sea, will stand far off. 18 When they see the smoke of her burning, they will exclaim, ‘Was there ever a city like this great city?’ 19 They will throw dust on their heads, and with weeping and mourning cry out:

where all who had ships on the sea
    became rich through her wealth!
In one hour she has been brought to ruin!’

20 “Rejoice over her, you heavens!
    Rejoice, you people of God!
    Rejoice, apostles and prophets!
For God has judged her
    with the judgment she imposed on you.”

The Finality of Babylon’s Doom

21 Then a mighty angel picked up a boulder the size of a large millstone and threw it into the sea, and said:

“With such violence
    the great city of Babylon will be thrown down,
    never to be found again.
22 The music of harpists and musicians, pipers and trumpeters,
    will never be heard in you again.
No worker of any trade
    will ever be found in you again.
The sound of a millstone
23 The light of a lamp
    will never shine in you again.
The voice of bridegroom and bride
Your merchants were the world’s important people.
    By your magic spell all the nations were led astray.
24 In her was found the blood of prophets and of God’s holy people,
    of all who have been slaughtered on the earth.”

Footnotes:
   a. Revelation 18:2 Isaiah 21:9
   b. Revelation 18:4 Jer. 51:45
   c. Revelation 18:7 See Isaiah 47:7,8.

This account rules out "Babylon the Great" being a commercial or political entity, which only leaves a religious entity. Ancient Babylon was the source of the false teachings in the false religions of the world today and thus Revelation refers to her as "Babylon the Great". Again, Christendom is the most guilty part of false religion, claiming to be Christian.

Peter wrote down how this would happen, starting with the early congregation:
2 Peter 2:1-3 Good News Translation (GNT)

False Teachers
2 False prophets appeared in the past among the people, and in the same way false teachers will appear among you. They will bring in destructive, untrue doctrines, and will deny the Master who redeemed them, and so they will bring upon themselves sudden destruction.

2 Even so, many will follow their immoral ways; and because of what they do, others will speak evil of the Way of truth.

3 In their greed these false teachers will make a profit out of telling you made-up stories. For a long time now their Judge has been ready, and their Destroyer has been wide awake!

Does anyone deny that false religion has made a profit at teaching the supposed truth? Jesus said "Freely you have received; freely give." Matt 10:8
Again, one more clue as to who false Christians are. 

This board is a perfect example of those who "will speak evil of the Way of truth", but it is a phenomena of all of mankind in general. However, as was just quoted in Revelation ch. 18, the scriptures warn of the consequences of not disavowing themselves from such organizations or even the sins they wink at, often at the prodding of their own consciences. For "We all will stand in front of the judgment seat of God"

Romans 14:10 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

10 But thou, why judgest thou thy brother? or thou, why dost thou despise thy brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Something to think about.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 01, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »

Just keep trusting those that wear that robe.......leave your kids with them...easy when some are so lost in their convaluted religion.......

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #13 : September 03, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »

Where in the bible does it say to love thy neighbors son with thy rod and thy shaft?

ok,,,,,, i literally laughed very loudly at that one. Not kool  ;D

-------------------------------------------------------

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #14 : September 03, 2012, 12:04:44 AM »

The Bishop the Catholics just buried was spot on.

I can understand organized religion, in an effort to keep people under control. But some of these priests are just **CENSORED**ing retarded.

That one was for you Piratic, you dumbasz.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Priest says "children are often the seducer" in sex abuse cases « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools