Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs inability to sell out should raise specter of relocation « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#15 : August 31, 2012, 06:29:53 PM

Let me make this perfectly clear. There is one reason why they are not selling out games. It's called winning! When I say winning I mean believing in this team, knowing that they are probably going to win every Sunday. When the team was winning 2 years ago no one believed in this team. Everyone knew that they were winning with smoke and mirrors. The fan base has had no reason to believe in this team and there hasn't been any superstar players the fans can cheer for. Once some of these players step up and become stars and they start winning the stadium will fill up. I guarantee it. Think about it. This team doesn't have a single superstar but, look at the Superbowl team and they had many. To name a few, Brooks, Lynch, Sapp, Alstott and more. The players need to prove themselves and the team needs to prove itself, period.

Classic definition of fair weather fan.

As for superstars, some will ague that Vince Jackson is a superstar, Carl Nick is supposedly one of the league's best, and I think Doug Martin will be a top all-around RB in 1-2 seasons.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#16 : August 31, 2012, 06:29:53 PM

No worries on relocation because the Bucs just can't for something like 10 years (maybe more) on their lease agreement.

The reason that the Bucs are not selling out is what was said above, the fans have limited income in the area and they are NOT willing to spend money to watch a team play a bad game of football. To the casual fan, they do NOT see enough improvement to get them back to the stadium. Last seasons 10 game losing streak left too much of a stain on the area.

When the Bucs start playing competitive ball, and better yet, winning football, the fans will return.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

nitey

Hall of Famer
#17 : August 31, 2012, 06:32:13 PM

You may have meant that as an insult, but 30 to 40% of the seats are filled by 'fair weather fans' - which is why the team is not selling out the games.

TB-BucFan4Life

Starter

#18 : August 31, 2012, 06:34:28 PM

Yup I think if we start winning games consistently we will get them to come out.

doesn't that translate to fair-weathered?
Look, the term fair-weathered applies to all fans. A very small percentage of fans are going to drop their hard earned cash to watch a lousy product. Winning breeds excitement and losing breeds ulcers. Would you pay to watch a game last year knowing they were going to be down 3 touchdowns before you blink an eye?

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 31, 2012, 06:34:58 PM

Too many transplants and no national or regional identity to unify its residents. Because of that, a winning Bucs team will always be "flavor of the month", and very little loyalty is built. Not saying there are not loyal fans, just not enough in the area that are willing to go watch a game.....that, and we live in an air conditioned culture in the Bay Area. Nobody wants to do anything outside unless there water involved; at least for the first half of football season.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 31, 2012, 06:35:27 PM

This is a new problem. The Tampa Bay area has supported the Bucs in the past. There used to be a waiting list for season tickets. That proves this is a viable market. The question is : What changed ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#21 : August 31, 2012, 06:36:09 PM

You may have meant that as an insult, but 30 to 40% of the seats are filled by 'fair weather fans' - which is why the team is not selling out the games.
No it wasn't an insult. Just a picture of the fans that we have. We have a long list of other reasons for no sell outs as well which has been discussed on this board ad nauseaum.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 31, 2012, 06:36:10 PM

Yup I think if we start winning games consistently we will get them to come out.

That's exactly what it is, not to talk down on that type of fan. Tampa just isn't a football town.

jcarruth

Pro Bowler
#23 : August 31, 2012, 06:36:31 PM

AS has been said, one offseason does not make up for several years of gouging and taking advantage. Get some wins under your belt though and the casual fans will start to come back.

In regards to relocation, cant see it, the Bus have such a sweetheart deal they are making a mint even with an empty stadium. Stadium expenses paid for, split of all RayJay events, TV contracts ... they arent hurting for money,

nitey

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 31, 2012, 06:39:25 PM

This is a new problem. The Tampa Bay area has supported the Bucs in the past. There used to be a waiting list for season tickets. That proves this is a viable market. The question is : What changed ?

DJ,

This is NOT a new problem. The same problem existed before Dungy started to win. Because the team originally built by Dungy lasted for some 15 years, people tend to forget that the crowds were always scarce when the team was losing.

FinkleisEinhorn

Second String

#25 : August 31, 2012, 06:41:28 PM

Sorry, I don't buy into the theory that "all Tampa fans just suck" being the reason for the low attendance.

It's a multitude of factors, including the area's large northern transplant population and the crap economy, but the biggest reason is the community's complete lack of trust in the players and front office.

Our team has wallowed in mediocrity for years as the Glazers sat on their growing pile of cash. Instead of investing that huge amount of money back into the team, they offered their fans dumpster-diver scrubs and undrafted FAs. The prouct on the field has been inconsistent at best to downright awful. It's almost felt like we've been a jv NFL team.

The Glazers deserve due praise for finally attempting to rebuild that bridge with the Tampa community, but I think this writer's naive to expect the city to automatically flock back to the stadium sans a single win.

Not so long ago Tampa had one of the best fan bases in the league. It's not like everyone just stopped liking football.

TB-BucFan4Life

Starter

#26 : August 31, 2012, 06:42:10 PM

Let me make this perfectly clear. There is one reason why they are not selling out games. It's called winning! When I say winning I mean believing in this team, knowing that they are probably going to win every Sunday. When the team was winning 2 years ago no one believed in this team. Everyone knew that they were winning with smoke and mirrors. The fan base has had no reason to believe in this team and there hasn't been any superstar players the fans can cheer for. Once some of these players step up and become stars and they start winning the stadium will fill up. I guarantee it. Think about it. This team doesn't have a single superstar but, look at the Superbowl team and they had many. To name a few, Brooks, Lynch, Sapp, Alstott and more. The players need to prove themselves and the team needs to prove itself, period.

As for superstars, some will ague that Vince Jackson is a superstar, Carl Nick is supposedly one of the league's best, and I think Doug Martin will be a top all-around RB in 1-2 seasons.
Morgan, there are few on this board that have the passion I have about this team. I've been a fan since 76' and I now live in Indy and pay for Sunday Ticket no matter how bad the team is but, I would not spends hundreds of dollars to watch last years product in person. Also, the players you mention haven't proven a single thing with the Bucs. If they pan out like they should then the fans will come. They still need a few more studs though. Maybe Barron, David and a couple others will rise. This years draft may be key for the future of the Bucs.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 31, 2012, 06:44:19 PM

Look, the term fair-weathered applies to all fans. A very small percentage of fans are going to drop their hard earned cash to watch a lousy product. Winning breeds excitement and losing breeds ulcers. Would you pay to watch a game last year knowing they were going to be down 3 touchdowns before you blink an eye?

I would. new coach, Division opponent, Big FA signings, and a new culture committed to hard work. I don't expect this team to play like last year. Bengals have never won anything I love that stadium on game days because the Culture around that football team is strong.

TB-BucFan4Life

Starter

#28 : August 31, 2012, 06:46:28 PM

I would. new coach, Division opponent, Big FA signings, and a new culture committed to hard work. I don't expect this team to play like last year. Bengals have never won anything I love that stadium on game days because the Culture around that football team is strong.
I was referring to last years team. I would and will pay for a game this year as long as they show a major improvement.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 31, 2012, 06:49:49 PM

DJ,

This is NOT a new problem. The same problem existed before Dungy started to win. Because the team originally built by Dungy lasted for some 15 years, people tend to forget that the crowds were always scarce when the team was losing.
Because Culverhouse was a cheap **CENSORED** who gave his fans no hope.

But that is irrelevant . The point is there was a stretch of about 10 years when all the games were sold out and there was a waiting list for season tickets. That proves the market can support the team if the market is satisfied . The Glazers need to figure out where they went wrong .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs inability to sell out should raise specter of relocation « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools